View Full Version : What do you do if the worst happens??

rg_vr6
19th Jun 2001, 06:19
I have to ask this question to see what others this has happened to: Here is a scenario for you:
1) You want to become a pilot!
2) You mortgage your parents house as its the only way to get the money!
3) You go and do the course that you have dreamed of at oxford or cabair etc.!
4) The course turns out to be harder than you thought, But you dont figure that out until you have failed---BADLY---
5) Now you figure out that you are up s**t creak without a paddle, and have no way of paying back all that money.

This is my worst fear, if I decide to take the plunge and start a course. My questions are:
1) How do you know that you are able for a frozen ATPL course, Its not like college, you cant just drop out....Theres too much at stake!!
2) Does anyone know of ony people that this happened to?? How did they survive?
3) What are the dropout/Failure statistics for the better known flight training schools??
4) Whats the best way to prepare for your integrated course?

I dont wish to be morbid, But I think these are the big questions people need to know before taking the steep financial plunge. Also, is it better to have a PPL before a full integrated course?
Thanks everyone!!

andys
19th Jun 2001, 06:33
do your ppl first, then by the time you have finished it you will know:
1)that you have fallen in love with flying.
2)you will enjoy the course for the flying from day one through till you get the frozen atpl.
3)you can handle the pressure of studying for the written exams
and
4)see reply posted to your previous question

AirScream
19th Jun 2001, 12:26
What about investing in the GAPAN testing to get an independant opinion of your aptitude and ability. I think that it is carried out at the RAF's testing facilities. Maybe someone has been through it that can advise you further but I believe that it costs around £150 which is peanuts in this grand scheme! What price piece of mind. Could well be a confidence booster too?

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Jun 2001, 12:46
Last year I had the missfortune to witness this crash and burn scenario with not one but two of my self sponsored students. It is distressing for all invloved believe me.

Largely the writing was on the wall from week one. For one it was his first serious expedition into academics since a couple of GCSE's 3 years ago. Coupled with a lifestyle whereby nobody chases you to work like your Mum or Teacher used to and mix in a lot of sunshine and a pool and the guy had the most expensive holiday imaginable. He was very popular though - at every social event...

The other was trying to do an ATPL and learn to fly in a foreign language which is very very hard to do. He also lacked the mental capacity to do several things at once in the air and there was simply no way I could expand his abilities in the time and money available.

In both these cases it would have been of enormous benefit if these guys had done a PPL beforehand. Even 2/3rds of a PPL course can be had for under £2,000 in the UK. You'll save that in accredited hours on an Approved CPL/IR course anyhow. It allows you to learn the basics at £70 p hr instead of £160 p hr...

Plus if you can handle the PPL exams and pass 1st time at least you've got a realistic shot at being able to tackle the ATPL exams. Doing this also puts you on that elusive "upward spiral" whereby from day one you are not the weakest member of the class and you feel like you are getting somewhere. This helps keep you motivated and its motivation thats the key.

Everybody starts these courses on day one with a pressed uniform, 3 very sharp pencils and an earnest expression. Only a few manage to keep this up for 13 months. Some let it all slip inside of a fortnight and those are the ones usually going to waste their money.

I have seen soome very weak students, both academically and with regards to flying aptitude/coordination pass fully integrated ATPL courses by sheer hard work and determination. You might not see them outside of their rooms for a month in the run up to the exams. You might find them at midnight sat in the dark in a switched off sim silently runnning their checklists over and over again. You don't find them inthe bar everynight swimming around in the pool fully clothed or firing enormous mess cannons at 3 in the morning. Thats the Flying Instructors job ;)

I don't know what the hell these young people (dons grandpa cap) say when they return home having spent in some cases over £30k and not even achieved a PPL for their efforts. Often they have not told parents that they are failing and it comes as a suprise. I've taken the indignant phone call fromthe bewildered parent angry that I and my school have failed their son so badly. Once you sit them down and walk them through the paperwork whereby my assessments, warnings and worries are in black and white next to their Sons signature signed sealed and dated that they realise that effectively - they've been had by their own flesh and blood.

I estimate about 10 percent of those that stump up the big money for these courses either withdraws or is shown the door by the CFI before the end of the course due to lack of application or ability.

Do a PPL first.

Good luck, remember its not how hard you work in week one that counts, its how hard in week 17, 22, 37, 44 etc.

Mariner9
19th Jun 2001, 13:05
....and get a Class 1 medical 1st

[This message has been edited by Mariner9 (edited 19 June 2001).]

GJB
19th Jun 2001, 15:44
WWW has put it in a nutshell.

rg_vr6
20th Jun 2001, 06:41
Thanks everyone who replied to this and who e-mailed me so far. Especialy WWW, That is some great advice. it good to get it from someone who has witnessed it happen... Keep the comments coming guys.............

Teroc
20th Jun 2001, 19:43
Great question rg_vr6. Ive worried about this very thing myself..still am in fact.

WWW,
Brilliant reply. Youre a Saint, Do you know that?
Did you ever read "Johnathan Livingston Seagull"?, thats you that is :)

Thanks again

Teroc

thefridge
20th Jun 2001, 21:10
Having completed the CAA CPL couse in the last 2 years I would advise that the JAA ATPL is a lot more difficult than passing the exams for the PPL. The PPL exams can be passed in a few weeks of study, the CPL took me 15 month on distance learning.
All depends on your level of ability, self motivation, and cash fund. Distance learning means that it yake ou longer, but it does allow you to hold down a job and obtain an income.
As advised before, go get a class one medical first as without this then you the ATPL is not achievable.
Good luck

skysoarer
22nd Jun 2001, 01:31
Mostly a summary of the above replies... I can't deny that fear strikes through me when I contemplate such things...
This seems good to me:
1: Get the medical, without this you cannot go any further. I took any prior fears to a local doctor and got checked out for less cash. I've now booked the C1 medical at Gatwick for the 12th July.
2: To minimise risks of doing anything rash, do some aptitude tests such as those done by Gapan and Cabair (partial sponsorships). EPST? These will help put your mind at rest.
3: During, preferably before this - get some flying experience ... even gliding experience can go a long way to getting a good foundation knowledge for less cash.

BTW: HSBC offer Professional Studies loans that do not require a guarantee - i.e. your house. But you're still stuck with repayments if you fail so make sure you have a back-up career path.

Hope this helps;

SS