PDA

View Full Version : Double Boost to Safety Boards

Stationair8
13th Sep 2018, 22:39
The Australian newspaper, reporting two new appoints to safety boards,
Air Chief Marshal( retired) Mark Binskin as deputy chair of the Airservices Australia Board, and Micheal Bridge(former Airnorth CEO) to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority Board.

Checklist Charlie
14th Sep 2018, 00:30
Those appointments might have been better the other way around.

CC

Sunfish
14th Sep 2018, 00:59
boards = fig leaves.

Lead Balloon
14th Sep 2018, 01:34
I wasn’t aware that Airservices Australia was a safety body. I thought it was a service provider...

Lookleft
14th Sep 2018, 01:52
Define "safety body"

Lead Balloon
14th Sep 2018, 02:07
The clue is usually in the name, but I realise you’re just being your usual ‘special’ self....

Checklist Charlie
14th Sep 2018, 02:38
The clue is usually in the name

Then you have the National Aviation Regulator that claims by name to be an Authority on Safe Civil Aviation.
False and/or deceptive me thinks.

CC

aroa
14th Sep 2018, 02:51
Will the CAsA Bored guy from Airnorth help get anything done as per Boyd who sank without trace.

Horatio Leafblower
14th Sep 2018, 03:26
Will the CAsA Bored guy from Airnorth help get anything done as per Boyd who sank without trace.

Have you ever been on a Committee aroa?

Jeff did ok. It's not like owning a business or being in the military where you can actually tell people what to do.

Duck Pilot
14th Sep 2018, 06:18
It’s good to see that experienced aviation professionals are getting into these positions opposed to non industry people.

If anyone expects that any one individual in a senior position in any government agency is going to be able to deliver a golden bullet, they are daydreaming.

Love them or hate them, important thing is to work with them and be prepared to “Agree to Disagree”.

I totally agree with Horatio’s comments with regards to Jeff.

Lead Balloon
14th Sep 2018, 12:23
What skill does an Air Force pilot bring to the strategic oversight of a civilian air navigation service provider out to make money? Other than perpetuate the myth that Australia’s Lilliputian defence force needs to lock up Romeos bigger than some US States, I can’t see too much ‘value add’.

Duck Pilot
14th Sep 2018, 12:38
More than an Accountant, Car Salesman or washed up unflavorable Politician and the list goes on.

LeadSled
15th Sep 2018, 00:16
Folks,
It was quite funny reading the actual Ministerial Press Releases, the appointments were all to do with "increasing air safety" or some such S.9A compliant nonsense.

It seem that everything CASA/Airservices does is in the interests of "more air safety" or some such description. There seems to be a never ending supply of " air safety" to tip into the big "air safety" bucket, without it slopping over the edges and being wasted.

I have come to the conclusion that this trend will be really appreciated by the clamorous general public, other politicians and the courts, but the Ministerial media staff are not really taking advantage of the punters alleged incessant and voluble demands for "more air safety".

Accordingly, to comply with the Act and public demand that "safety is our first priority", I expect to see future confirmatory press releases along the following lines:

1) More air safety to result from new and innovative CASA Executive Rubber Plant Maintenance Contract.
2)Air safety to improve with reformed CASA staff coffee and biscuits administration regulation.
3) New and agile flexitime arrangements for CASA staff to add more air safety.

and one that might even have a positive air safety result:

4) CASA extended Christmas/New Year shutdown to enhance Australian air safety.

Come on, PR staff, you know you can do it!! Show how dedicated the Minister really is to air safety as his first priority!!!

Tootle pip!!

Dick Smith
15th Sep 2018, 06:01
Fascinating. Have any of the new appointees ever made a public statement about the state of our GA industry and what needs to be done to fix the problems?

Surely they have- can someone send me a link?

Or could it be that a requirement for appointment is never to have publicly shown any support for change that could reduce costs?

Just wondering . Thanks

aroa
15th Sep 2018, 06:32
Horatio . I have.
Perhaps I can give the newbie the benefit of the doubt until....!!
Boyd...Did good??...what was it and where did it show.??
Myself and others wrote to him (and others) about serious CASA illegalities and the answers were...total silence/nix /nought /sfa.
Very engaged with the av-citizenry. NOT.
History gives us the classic of 21 wasted years when the MINISTER AND THE BOARD adopted the COOP policy that CASA sent into oblivion. What did the Board(s) do about that...?
Nix.Nought/SFA
And GA has gone steadily downhill ever since.
Smoke one for me will ya.?

Sunfish
15th Sep 2018, 10:48
(Sigh) The Board is appointed by the Minister. The Board has no real powers. All it is a cheer squad for the Governmt institution concerned and the qualifications for joining are the same as the cheer squad' a beauty contest.

If the boards concerned could hire and fire the respective chief executives on the same commercial imperatives as applied in the private sector by boards, that would be different. .....and yes, it is strange that even the big banks get their comeuppances, CASA and AsA not so much.

Ascend Charlie
15th Sep 2018, 10:50
Binny should be a reasonable board member, with considerable experience in both flying and running an aviation organisation. And I had him as a student for a few trips in a Macchi...some time ago...when he was a Navy Midshipman, before he jumped into the blue suit and drove F111.

tio540
15th Sep 2018, 12:33
Mr. McCormack stated in the press release that Mr. Bridge “was a pilot for more than 30 years.”, and his “appointment timely”.

What were the key selection criteria?

Torres
15th Sep 2018, 21:42
Dick

You've been around long enough to know the sole purpose of a CASA or ASA Board is to take the blame if anything goes t*ts-up, thus keeping the heat off the Minister. You will recall Anderson perfected the system of "blameless Ministers".

I think the last Member of either Board that made any public noise was you when you were on the CASA Board, much to the consternation of the Minister and CASA Executive.

Capn Bloggs
16th Sep 2018, 00:23
before he jumped into the blue suit and drove F111.
Skin bin a Pig Driver?! Wash ya mouth out! :{