PDA

View Full Version : OASC advice

artful_dodger28
28th Jul 2002, 21:10
I am currently preparing to attend OCAS in September and wondered whether anyone has any advice or suggestions for current affairs or areas of knowledge which would prove useful. I have a ppl and an indepth knowledge of the various RAF aircraft and a basic knowledge of their roles.

Professor Fog
28th Jul 2002, 22:17
read the economist

Flygirl77
28th Jul 2002, 22:20
Not really, just cover all your bases. I wnt back in 96 and again in 98, and both times were totally different. Make sure you at least know what the basics are of all wars etc, especially recent ones, and why - look at both sides of an argument, that way it looks like you've used your head and have an opinion....that way they'll move on to something else, as they want to put you under pressure. they're not there to trick you, but deffinately to see how you react under pressure, infact they even have one person asking the q's and another sitting there marking your reactions to them. Be clued up about who's in the various things like the UN etc and who is going to join.

the best advise I was given, and it's true, is ...don't BS them, they are professionals at sniffing it out!...if you don't know, then just say so!....it shows strength of character.
Also, always know the end of your sentence before you open your mouth to start it!

Best of luck, and remember, they're only human, not monsters!!...so don't be intimidated, but don't act cocky either!

GolfFoxtrot
29th Jul 2002, 00:18
The defense white papers worked great for me in obtaining my Flying Scholarship at Cranwell and later a place in a University Air Squadron. They are enough to put anyone to sleep, but contain invaluable info on defense policy, UN and NATO commitments and the UK's role within them.

Also do a search on GAPAN aptitude tests, it will help you prepare mentally for the pilot 5 battery of tests. The RAF's website has a few good practice tests under previous missions.

Hope this Helps
GF

Chaffers
29th Jul 2002, 17:35
In the interview stick to your guns, theres nothing wrong with disagreeing with them (especialy when it comes to motivation etc). One thing which really threw me (after my sixth such interview) was the way they constantly interupt you when you're in full flow. Don't worry if this happens, it just means they know you know the answer and are moving on a fast as poss (to find something you dont know!).
As someone else said the economist is a good source, though searching back for old news stories on Kashmir / WMD / Middle Eastern Politics can bring rewards too.

Dont forget to watch their eyes roll heavenwards if you mention that you've wanted to be a pilot since age <whatever>.

Oh and don't get to pissed the night before your interview, otherwise you might get called in at an obscene hour of the morning having to cope with a hangover too, not of course that I know how that feels :p .