View Full Version : Jaguar is 50

chevvron
12th Sep 2018, 18:00
Where did the thread go?

Harley Quinn
13th Sep 2018, 09:18
Maybe the OP deleted the thread? There was some jealousy from Phantom operators about being supplanted by the Jag which was getting a bit silly, unless of course it was just a Navigator having a moan.

ShyTorque
13th Sep 2018, 10:30
Shouldn't it have read: "The Jaguar WOULD have been 50"?

NutLoose
13th Sep 2018, 10:58
Why? It is still in military service teaching the future RAF

campbeex
13th Sep 2018, 12:00
Still in service with the Indian Air Force as well.

Alber Ratman
14th Sep 2018, 18:55
Maybe the OP did get fed up of hearing from F4 Navigators from 49 years ago.

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2018, 19:31
Why? It is still in military service teaching the future RAF

Ground marshaling signals training at Cosford doesn't really count, though. ;)

Alber Ratman
14th Sep 2018, 19:52
https://www.facebook.com/julien.dixon.9/videos/1774949722602462/

Needs a sacuer of milk... :)

Alber Ratman
14th Sep 2018, 19:56
Ground marshaling signals training at Cosford doesn't really count, though. ;)
Indians still fly it.. This forum is all the Worlds Air Forces, not the RAF Club. RAF don't use them for ground running training and have not done so for over two years. So the Jag @ 50 is still a valid Modern Air Force point..Then again there are so many fossils about here.

Harley Quinn
14th Sep 2018, 20:10
I have a soft spot for the old cat, in terms of serviceability I don't think I've ever been associated with a better jet. Watching guys on various Phantom, Harrier, Tornado, Hornet, Eagle, F16 (what is it called? Viper, Fighting Falcon?), AMX working on to fix their jets as the Jag guys put on the covers and buggered off for the night.
​​​​​​Then there is the unforgettable mewl of the EHP first thing in the morning as the lineys prepped their jets for 2 to 3 sorties each (which they would achieve). The debrief from the pilots (Serviceable, weapons expended).
I could go on and on and on and on and on.....

Alber Ratman
14th Sep 2018, 20:17
I have a soft spot for the old cat, in terms of serviceability I don't think I've ever been associated with a better jet. Watching guys on various Phantom, Harrier, Tornado, Hornet, Eagle, F16 (what is it called? Viper, Fighting Falcon?), AMX working on to fix their jets as the Jag guys put on the covers and buggered off for the night.
​​​​​​Then there is the unforgettable mewl of the EHP first thing in the morning as the lineys prepped their jets for 2 to 3 sorties each (which they would achieve). The debrief from the pilots (Serviceable, weapons expended).
Thats why the Indians still use it. Rare was the bravo calls. Last Magic Carpet exercise done by 6 Sqn Jags was a 94% launch and completed sortie ratio to planned. 43 Cock Sqn had a ratio of 43%. We also got to bar for last orders. That was the time when all the 43 lineys had SIAW written on the hi vis. Signed in accordance with? Nah SEngO is a...

glad rag
14th Sep 2018, 20:43

Seconded. They even got the best billets on ops to. :ok:

Harley Quinn
14th Sep 2018, 22:16
Camping in a tent next to the Incirlik runway surrounded by diesel generators during 24 hour ops wasn't that good.

Bacardi 151 anyone?

Skeleton
15th Sep 2018, 02:30
Never flown her.
Have no knowledge of how the aircraft operated.
Have no knowledge of the aircraft's capabilities.
Have no knowledge of how much bang you got from your buck with Jaguar.
Flew or sat in the back of a "better" aircraft.

Every Jaguar thread I have read, people who tick the above boxes pop in to make unnecessary puerile comment. Happened on the last Jaguar thread as well, which is why I am guessing you can't find it.

TBM-Legend
15th Sep 2018, 04:12
Converts kero into noise beautifully....

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2018, 08:28
Indians still fly it.. This forum is all the Worlds Air Forces, not the RAF Club. RAF don't use them for ground running training and have not done so for over two years. So the Jag @ 50 is still a valid Modern Air Force point..Then again there are so many fossils about here.

No need for insults, thanks.

pr00ne
16th Sep 2018, 18:04
OOh, shame it was canned, I never saw it again after my reply. Did some Navs join in? Amazed they have the technical knowhow!

ORAC
16th Sep 2018, 19:30
It did so well for so long - just think how good it would have been if they ever put a proper wing on it.......

chevvron
17th Sep 2018, 06:44
Last Jags I worked (Farnborough Radar) were a pair from Biggin to St Athan (for disposal?) and I clocked them at 475kt GS going through 'Mig Alley' south of the Heathrow CTR.

Phantom Driver
17th Sep 2018, 20:37
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/690x451/thumrait_edit__285afcc3d429b7e82cb21160be503e51a7e3f182.jpg

good old days

Monarch Man
18th Sep 2018, 04:36
Underpowered in reheat, forgiving in the flare and of course when running away from those pesky Mercian F15’s it was “one turn and your dead”
Loved it.

BEagle
18th Sep 2018, 09:37
I was holding at Valley in the summer of 1975 having finished my Gnat course when an ex-UAS chum called to let me know that he would be coming down from Lossie with a pair of Jags, the leader of which would be giving a presentation in the OM that evening. So I went to VASF to welcome him - he told me that he'd needed burner to maintain speed round the final turn as he'd been rather tight downwind. Then I watched with interest as it sprayed an impressive plume of fuel from the rear whilst refuelling - this was due to some vent valve which often got stuck. The cure was to get on top of the fuselage, stroll down to the fin and jump up and down. No elf 'n safety back then, but refuelling complete I drove him back to the mess to watch the presentation.

Which was a farce. "DON'T use 'back' on the projector or the slide carrier will fall out - there's some fault", the presenter had been told by the groundschool chap whose projector was to be used. But he didn't listen, so when he did so the slide carrier shot out as briefed, depositing all the slides across the floor. He stuffed them back in any old order, so the presentation was a random sequence of slides, to which he ad-libbed.

Then came the crowning glory - some HUD camera film in full colour of low level flying in the Jag. Which would have been great, but he hadn't told the groundschool chap that the HUD had a Telford camera - so the whole film was 90 deg out! "You'll need to turn your heads, I'm afraid", said the presenter, whilst the groundschool chap muttered "If you'd told me it was Telford film, I'd have brought the converter. Too late now!". Of course the WIWOLs poured a deal of scorn on the presentation - "Is your jet as ****e as your presentation, mate?" was one rather cruel question!

My ex-UAS chum told me that thrust was very unimpressive on take-off - there was no question of the leader throttling back slightly during a pairs take-off, so whoever got airborne first became leader. But that was back in 1975; over the years the Jag got better and better and was a valued asset in both Iraq and Bosnia. In its final GR3A version it was a mighty fine jet, but was sadly killed off by Buff Hoon's defence cuts...

Jimlad1
18th Sep 2018, 11:58
What was the planned Jaguar OSD before the 2004 defence cuts?

Harley Quinn
18th Sep 2018, 11:59
Pretty certain it was 2012ish

spekesoftly
18th Sep 2018, 13:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuc3gb9Jy88&feature=plcp

melmothtw
19th Sep 2018, 09:49
Very interesting video. Was surprised at the squadron commander when he said he wants the type of chap who won't eject when he takes a bird strike at low level, but who brings the plane back to him. This is contrary to a USAF training video from around the same time that someone posted a while back, where they encourage pilots not to think twice about ejecting, noting 'the aircraft can be replaced, the pilot can't'. Wonder what the advice is today?

Also, "a million-and-a-half pound aircraft" - those were the days...

NutLoose
19th Sep 2018, 10:07
Originally Posted by ShyTorque https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/showthread.php?p=10249384#post10249384)
Ground marshaling signals training at Cosford doesn't really count, though. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

That will be a long winded affair, they no longer ground run the Jags at Cosford and haven't for some time.

MPN11
19th Sep 2018, 10:50
Nice view, if a little blurry.

"5 O-levels" ... the guy with 10 x O and 4 x A was a bit overkill, but at least they didn't need a Degree. I managed with 6 x O ;)

And, oh, the civvy clothes we wore back then. Gruesome!!

spekesoftly
19th Sep 2018, 11:57
the guy with 10 x O and 4 x A was a bit overkill, Yes, he obviously did try hard enough at School! ;)

He is now the owner and Chairman of a very successful family business in our area.

NutLoose
19th Sep 2018, 12:05
- Every Jaguar thread I have read, people who tick the above boxes pop in to make unnecessary puerile comment. Happened on the last Jaguar thread as well, which is why I am guessing you can't find it.

Never fear I am here :E

I have to agree with what was said above re-servicability, we would deploy with half of the kit and engineers a Phantom sqdn would take, indeed on one detachment we were outnumbered by a huge amount. They rarely went wrong and when they did they were often easy to fix.

As for the venting, that was quite a common problem, we had Hesseltine visiting RAFG to inspect a pair of Jags in the HAS and watch a scramble... As with all things bullsh*t they had German contactors in to shotblast the interior walls and floor then repaint it so the HAS looked like new, the Jags were laid out with the customary loads displayed in front and the Sqn number formed out of 30mm Aden belts. I was then stupidly asked to refuel the dog of the fleet for venting which was at the back, having repeatedly asked to get it out as it vents badly I was told to get on with it, So I did and it chucked it out the donkey's d*ck faster than the bowser could shove it in. the rear of the HAS was flooded.
Hesseltine was due and with great haste tons of chickensh*t was deposited over the fuel by the many before the few arrived, shovelling it up and legging it the HAS was left stinking of fuel with a ruddy great stain on the floor where the combination soaked into the porous surface from shot blasting along with loose bits of chickensh*t.... and then the blame game started after he had left, with fingers pointing in my general direction even though I repeatedly told the muppets exactly what would happen.

Alber Ratman
19th Sep 2018, 17:33

2009. The majority of the GR3s had hit 7000 FH, certainly the ones retired in 2006. They had not long left regardless. India were still bringing new frames on stream when the RAF was retiring theirs. Nutloose, seems some people have got an old RAF one ground running again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_EZenX2X4 (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xx741+engine+runs&oq=&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

sharpend
20th Sep 2018, 07:41
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1200x803/180909_boscombe_down_aviation_museum_xx734_6478_edit_ccf7e79 23b238dcd6d1716ca840b8496cfdacf4c.jpg
Stories stories. I first flew the GR1 in 1974. I really wanted Buccaneers after my 'promised' posting to TSR2 went down the toilet. I found the Jaguar easy to fly, but hard work to operated. Compared with my Canberra, a more complex mission (no autopilot, new technology, ECM and complicated systems), I struggled. But I lived, though many of my mates did not. Percentage wise it could be argued that we lost more Jaguars in the early days than the Germans lost Starfighters (The Widow Maker). But I am proud to be a WIWOJs and would not have missed it for the world. Here I am very recently at the Boscombe museum. I was the very last RAF pilot to fly XX 734 :)