PDA

View Full Version : Class one medical

Marka179
12th Sep 2018, 16:49
Hi, I’m new to this forum and looking to complete my commercial pilots licence in the future.

Before applying to the different flight schools I have booked my class one medical to make sure I am fit to fly. They told me I need to bring a summary of my doctors notes to my appointment so I went and got them from my doctor. I noticed right at the bottom of my notes when I was less than 1 years old it says “Strabismus (squint)” and not much else. I have never had any problems with my vision and my mum doesn’t seem to remember me having any procedures done however this has really put doubt in my mind that I will pass my medical. Any information on this would be so useful. Thank you

Radgirl
12th Sep 2018, 20:14
I was not aware of this requirement. Unless it is mandatory, I see no benefit to you in allowing the doctor to trawl through your notes.......Be honest, complete the form and let him run his tests. That is the basis for pass or fail....

cavortingcheetah
12th Sep 2018, 20:37
As I understand it all in these days of obfuscation, you have to do your initial UK Class 1 (or whatever you want to call it type of medical) with one of about four centres.
I had a look at one of these centre's website.

https://www.avmed.org.uk/airlines-and-aviation/professional-aircrew-atco-medicals/

I would draw your attention to Note 4:

Note 4: Please bring medical reports in respect of any significant current or past medical history. Applicants who have had LASIK or other refractive procedures must provide a report from the centre that carried out the surgery. Details should include dates and type of surgery performed, pre-operative refraction and details of any complications. Please see CAA Guidance following eye surgery (http://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-%28EASA%29/Conditions/Visual/Guidance-following-eye-surgery/).

I am sure that what holds good for one centre must hold for the others and I would consider, as an innocent layman, that an infant strabismus was not a significant past or present medical history. The doctor who wrote it was probably tired and mistook the sunlight glinting in your baby doll eyes for a squint.
Personally, I wouldn't even draw it to their attention, only filling in the required forms as Radgirl, to whom I defer in almost everything medical and no doubt should in all such matters, suggests.

LandingGear60
13th Sep 2018, 12:53
When I had my initial, I took all of my doctors notes too as a precaution since the guidance said to bring as much info as possible to avoid a failure on the day for a lack of notes. I paid and got them all from the GP but they were never checked in the initial. You declare conditions through the medical form they give you. I guess taking your notes is just a good backup in case they do query something.

Radgirl
14th Sep 2018, 14:28
Entire notes will be 100s of pages. I suspect you are just getting your summary.....that is not going to convert a hold (not a fail) to a pass, only the full set of investigations and letters will, and in most cases you will still need further investigations / consultations / decisions...

So I would caution against letting that nice doctor trawl through your notes. GPs do not write their notes in the knowledge that they may be the basis for comparison against a set of rules laid down by an aviation regulator. As we see so often in these threads, a 'diagnosis' of asthma for what was a cold has wrecked an aspiring pilot's hopes....

invertedparamedic
27th Sep 2018, 16:25
At the end of the day, as bad as it sounds... Have your "normal" doctor and then your "DAME".
Opt out of the health record if you havent already.
CASA AvMed is out of control and has been for a long time.