PDA

View Full Version : Helipad / Helicopter Dorcas St South Melbourne

AirBumps
11th Sep 2018, 13:24
Hi all,

Asking for no reason other than I’m curious - there’s a helicopter that I’ve never seen leave the rooftop of a building at Kings Business Park, 100 Dorcas st South Melbourne.

Ive never managed to get a rego and a quick google of the tenants of the building doesn’t give me a clue as to who might own it.

Andbody know who owns it (or the helipad that isn’t marked or signed)?

Cheers
AB

Burleigh Effect
11th Sep 2018, 20:18
Looks like a Squirrel on Google Maps (not earth). I'm guessing it's Will Deague's, or more likely the company's, helo.

Will Deague thinks big and minds the details. The 5th generation CEO of Asian Pacific Group (APG) pilots a helicopter to work in Melbourne from Portsea. Before hopping into a SMART car for a site visit to one of APG’s eco-friendly, heritage-sensitive, multi-use property development projects, he scans several hotel registers, looking for ways to delight his guests and residents.

AirBumps
11th Sep 2018, 22:07
Looks like a Squirrel on Google Maps (not earth). I'm guessing it's Will Deague's, or more likely the company's, helo.

Will Deague thinks big and minds the details. The 5th generation CEO of Asian Pacific Group (APG) pilots a helicopter to work in Melbourne from Portsea. Before hopping into a SMART car for a site visit to one of APG’s eco-friendly, heritage-sensitive, multi-use property development projects, he scans several hotel registers, looking for ways to delight his guests and residents.

Ah, thanks BE.

On another note, is there any requirement for particular markings to be painted on what appears a semipermanent helipad?

Cheers,

Duck Pilot
11th Sep 2018, 23:01
If is not Part 139 certified, which it probably isn't it doesn't need to be painted/marked or have a windsock.

Responsibility rests with the PIC to determine if the pad is suitable for operations.

0ttoL
12th Sep 2018, 11:17
I used to work in South Melbourne. Saw the black Squirrel making the approach to a building on Kings Way many times and wondered who that was.
I always suspected that it might relate to the barracks on St Kilda Road. (You know.... spies...;) )

Squawk7700
12th Sep 2018, 11:37
There used to be a black or possibly navy R44 from memory landing at the old Commander building on Kings way. Am wondering if it’s the same chap after an upgrade. I remember it landing with a tail wind headed towards my desk one time.. was a little scary.

mickjoebill
20th Sep 2018, 04:11
At a guess, how many rooftops in Melbourne are in use as pads?
In general, does a roof have to be designed for such use? or are they all generally capable.

Mjb