PDA

View Full Version : 5-Strpier

Doors to Automatic
11th Sep 2018, 09:47
A story in the Daily Mail today caught my eye, not for the usual crass subject matter or the reporting inaccuracies but for the picture of the shirt of a captain who was reportedly taking a nap in First Class across the pond.

The pilot in question appers to have 5-stripes which I have never seen before, but I assume dentoes a training captain?

Is this commonplace nowadays and does anyone know how long it has been practice?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6152563/United-Airlines-pilot-changes-uniform-takes-nap-class.html

Edit: for some reason I can't edit the obvious typo in the title! (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6152563/United-Airlines-pilot-changes-uniform-takes-nap-class.html)

bafanguy
11th Sep 2018, 09:53
DtA,

I also noticed that in the pic. It's new in my understanding of US airline pilot uniforms. Maybe it's a UAL thing ? Somebody knows...

flyboyike
11th Sep 2018, 13:37
The photo appears doctored, and doctored fairly poorly at that. I don't believe any US carriers have 5-stripers. Once one is a Captain, it's 4 stripes, regardless of what his/her position is (instructor, chief pilot etc). Maybe it's a carryover from the military. Captain is seen more as a "rank" where chief pilot, trainer, vp of ops etc is seen more as a duty assignment.

BluSdUp
12th Sep 2018, 23:00
The first and last time I ever heard about 5 stripes was a certain Inspector Thor K. in the Norwegian CAA.
When he paraded down the corridor in Wergelands Gate 4, there was several old Cpts that laughed so hard they had to take the rest of the day off!

Yea I also saw that foto. weird.
With regards to were the stripes come from, if Navy,3 full stripes is Captain ( Orlogs kaptein) and 4 full stripes is Commander (Kommandør Kaptein)
Next up is Flagg Commander with one BIG fat one.

I know the Italians and Spanish use a star above the 4 stripes to indicate Instructore.
AT EASE TROOPS!
Regards
Kommandør Kaptein B

PS
On first leave from bootcamp in 1986 we even saluted the Train Conductor to be on the safe side.
DS

FLCH
19th Sep 2018, 22:10
It's not doctored it's real, the guy wears 5 stripes as a joke, he's been a subject of ridicule for a while.

I know because I've seen him in the weather room.