PDA

View Full Version : UK EASA Licence Transfer

dellafc4
10th Sep 2018, 20:15
Hello,
Can anyone suggest which country would be a "good one" to transfer an EASA licence (in terms of communication, Language (preferred English), clarity, responsiveness).
I currently hold a UK EASA licence with some expired ratings, the brexit date is getting close and there is no indication of what is going to happen.

Anyone's experience or advice is of great value.
Thanks

Flying Clog
11th Sep 2018, 07:53
Without a shadow of a doubt, go the Irish EASA route. I was in the same situation as you and did my JAR UK ATPL to EASA Irish ATPL conversion two years ago. Very straight forward paperwork exercise, no sim required, and you get your type ratings moved across as well. No other EU countries do that without a sim.

iggy
11th Sep 2018, 08:03
I believed you will be asked for proof of residence in that EASA country (i.e. land line bill with your name on it) or a job offer from a EASA airline based there.

500 above
11th Sep 2018, 08:32
I believed you will be asked for proof of residence in that EASA country (i.e. land line bill with your name on it) or a job offer from a EASA airline based there.

Not true, I’ve changed from UK to Irish to Austrian with no questions.

The Irish are great to work with, but I cannot complain about the Austrians too. Both have been far better to deal with than the CAA.

Fox_one
11th Sep 2018, 09:06
Remember though, if it’s the worst case scenario of no deal, we (UK nationals) will lose our rights to live and work in the EU. I imagine in time a visa system would be set up but I fear it’s likely to be a long and costly process. It will also be dependent on the EU airline sponsoring you. Knowing how airlines operate I do fear us Brits will be at the bottom of the pile of applicants, behind all those from the other 27 countries who are ready and legal to work in the EU immediately.

With all that considered, I would second getting a Irish Licence as you can gererally speak to a real person should there be any issues with the transfer.

Good luck

PorridgeStirrer
11th Sep 2018, 10:06
In such a scenario, there will still be free movement between Ireland and the UK; the ‘Common Travel Area’ will remain irrespective of what happens.

Fortissimo
11th Sep 2018, 10:31
I am told the 'no deal' Brexit plan is that your EASA licence will be automatically converted to a UK ATPL on 29 March, which will allow you to fly G-reg aircraft. The position on M-reg etc (other states of registration are available) is not quite so clear.

You can also expect a lift and shift of the Basic Regs and the rest of the EASA-related hard and soft law into UK law, effective for 2 years. The intent is that the UK will mirror any EASA changes in this period too. At least, that is what the DfT is saying.

Bora Bora
11th Sep 2018, 14:34
Should one convert to an EASA licence, can you keep the UK EASA licence going as well? Or is it either one EASA licence or the other? Need my UK EASA licence for my current job, but would like to have both in case things really go terribly wrong.

BONES_
11th Sep 2018, 14:54
I believed you will be asked for proof of residence in that EASA country

not anymore - i believe that was the case under JAR

Should one convert to an EASA licence, can you keep the UK EASA licence going as well? Or is it either one EASA licence or the other? Need my UK EASA licence for my current job, but would like to have both in case things really go terribly wrong.

only one EASA licence, so it’s either one or the other i’m afraid.

rudestuff
11th Sep 2018, 14:55
You can have as many national licences as you like but only one EASA licence.

citabria06g
11th Sep 2018, 15:41
UK to reissue pilot licences in 'no-deal' Brexit (https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-reissue-pilots-licences-in-no-deal-brexit-11494922)

So not only am I going to lose the ability to fly anything other than G-reg (without validation), they want me to pay £75 for it??! And the CAA are the first to admit they don't have qualified staff - good luck getting any paperwork through in less than 3 months!

Madness...

EDIT: and all those who paid to have their 61.75 reissued with the EASA licence number will now have the privilege of paying again to do the whole thing in reverse :ugh:

BONES_
11th Sep 2018, 16:16
oh dear!

http://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-statement-on-Sky-News-aviation-and-Brexit-story/

citabria06g
11th Sep 2018, 17:16
What is misleading is this frankly ludicrous statement, whoever wrote it should be prosecuted. Apparently it is becoming the norm in the UK to lie in order to further your own agenda, much like the orange buffoon.

Our licences are internationally recognised - including by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) - both now and after 29 March 2019.

The CAA will continue to issue and reissue pilots' licences when they are lost, damaged, when details need to be changed or pilots' privileges updated as we do now. Over time, this would include removing references to EASA - a purely cosmetic change.

Purely cosmetic my ass. Yes licences will be recognised as ICAO licences, just like Namibian or Vietnamese licences, but the privilege to fly an F-reg or a D-reg is gone. The CAA know this and are lying through their teeth.

Lexsis
11th Sep 2018, 19:34
What I am wondering about is if they are ready to cope with the demand of pilots sending in SOLI forms and the CAA to issue Doc 155 certificates to the CAA's of other countries the coming months.

Also, what if you manage to get your medical file transferred from the UK CAA and doc 155 form to another EASA member state CAA. But you dont have a new license yet from the other EU state's CAA before the end of March? Will they still be able to issue it since they recieved all the information before the brexit date?

Cygnet720
11th Sep 2018, 19:44
Just switched mine, I am EU citizen and used to hold U.K. EASA ATPL. Straight forward process, the only problem is the U.K. CAA is in quite some mess atm, took me 2 months and approx 2 hrs on phone in total to get all the docs right as they didn’t send any additional info until I called and reminded about myself. But after all docs were sorted 155 form was send whithin a week. Medical took approx 2 weeks.

As I know you can switch between EASA members easily and do not require any additional examination, just doc 155 and medical information. You also do not need to work in the state you’re switching to nor live there. The only problem is posed by German LBA as I heard (purely rumors).

I have never heard of a sim check requirement and I enquired 4 CAA States, maybe I don’t know enough? Can somebody enlighten me? Decided to stop at the CAA I am employed atm in the end, as colleagues can easily help to adjust to a new docs etc. Otherwise the switch process was the same for all CAAs I enquired.

Lexsis
11th Sep 2018, 19:48
Just switched mine, I am EU citizen and used to hold U.K. EASA ATPL. Straight forward process, the only problem is the U.K. CAA is in quite some mess atm, took me 2 months and approx 2 hrs on phone in total to get all the docs right as they didn’t send any additional info until I called and reminded about myself. But after all docs were sorted 155 form was send whithin a week. Medical took approx 2 weeks.

So basically call them, call them, call them to get things done....

TURIN
11th Sep 2018, 22:43
I suggest everyone writes to their MPs. I have and had a response. Not a great response but at least I gave them a poke with a stick. Needs doing.

dellafc4
12th Sep 2018, 12:14
Thanks for all the feedback...

infrequentflyer789
12th Sep 2018, 12:48
What is misleading is this frankly ludicrous statement, whoever wrote it should be prosecuted. Apparently it is becoming the norm in the UK to lie in order to further your own agenda, much like the orange buffoon.

Purely cosmetic my ass. Yes licences will be recognised as ICAO licences, just like Namibian or Vietnamese licences, but the privilege to fly an F-reg or a D-reg is gone. The CAA know this and are lying through their teeth.

Actually the full CAA statement clearly states that it is talking about "use on UK-registered aircraft" - and it says absolutely nothing about F or D-reg or any other reg. In fact I am struggling to see anything that is clearly a falsehood in the statement - per my (limited) understanding of the situation.

What may be more notable is what the statement doesn't say - but then when did any press release or political statement (EU, UK or anywhere) tell the whole truth?

Interestingly, my suspicions have always been that for existing licenses all the CAA can possibly need is a new rubber stamp and the balls to use it, and that appears to be what the CAA are now saying. EASA (in particular) will look pretty stupid if it queries the regulatory competence for a licence that was actually issued under its own competence. New licences may well be a different matter, and tellingly the CAA statement also says nowt about those...

BONES_
12th Sep 2018, 13:34
Actually the full CAA statement clearly states that it is talking about "use on UK-registered aircraft" - and it says absolutely nothing about F or D-reg or any other reg. In fact I am struggling to see anything that is clearly a falsehood in the statement - per

The UK CAA would NOT be able to make any comment about flying a F- or D- or OE- reg aircraft as it would be outside their juristiction. If, and that’s a big if, the UK were not be able to remain within EASA, any EASA UK licence would become automatically a national ICAO compliant one. To fly an EASA reg aircraft one would need either an EASA licence or a validation based on their national ICAO licence.

Hence why easyJet has blinked first and asked its EU based pilot to change SOLI from UK CAA to Austro Control.

parafinburner
12th Sep 2018, 15:17
With UK CAA they validate for aircraft like Crop sprayer best thing to do if you need an FAA Licence is to do the exams while you are in the study mode get a book like Gleims and study do the test and if you do a single Engine ATP that will give you the FAA ATP unrestricted and then if you do a SIM check ride for a twin if employed that gives you the twin rating with Aircraft on licence best way spending money for validations can be expensive also you can email me at [email protected] because there are many scams out there especially Kenya as they dont validate liences and I was nearly caught by that so be careful

infrequentflyer789
12th Sep 2018, 15:46
The UK CAA would NOT be able to make any comment about flying a F- or D- or OE- reg aircraft as it would be outside their juristiction.

Well yes, obviously, to you and me at least - but the post I replied too was accusing them of lying for not saying anything about it...

If, and that’s a big if, the UK were not be able to remain within EASA, any EASA UK licence would become automatically a national ICAO compliant one.

Ah, now that again is apparently obvious to you and me (and the CAA), but, in its Notice to Stakeholders, EASA appears to have a different opinion, saying that such licences "will no longer be valid". Personally I think that EASA is talking b***ocks there, as in the event they are referring to (hard brexit) what they are commenting on would be outside their jurisdiction. But hey, maybe what they actually mean is "we at EASA will not consider them valid as a punishment for leaving (until ICAO says we have to)"...

citabria06g
12th Sep 2018, 19:10
Actually the full CAA statement clearly states that it is talking about "use on UK-registered aircraft" - and it says absolutely nothing about F or D-reg or any other reg. In fact I am struggling to see anything that is clearly a falsehood in the statement - per my (limited) understanding of the situation.

Would you consider the following sentence truthful?

Over time, this would include removing references to EASA - a purely cosmetic change.

Do you consider the loss of flying privileges, the no longer mutual recognition of training, the increased cost, purely cosmetic? But I will agree with you that most of the inaccuracy comes from omission. For example, as you pointed out:

Both commercial and private UK pilot licences would remain valid for use on UK-registered aircraft

And what about EASA-registered aircraft? The CAA knows the answer to this really well, they just avoid the topic as it would spoil their self-righteous press statement. Sorry, I expect better.

Duchess_Driver
12th Sep 2018, 21:09
And what about EASA-registered aircraft? The CAA knows the answer to this really well, they just avoid the topic as it would spoil their self-righteous press statement. Sorry, I expect better.

As has already been said, how can the UK CAA comment on what EASA will allow a now ‘national UK CAA licence holder’ to do. Post 29/3 it’s up to EASA who plays with their train set - not the UK CAA. If you expect better then perhaps a better understanding of licensing issues would give you better.

After we (regrettably) leave the EU and EASA the UK can simply re-print a licence without reference to EASA and carry on, regulating British aircraft, airports, industry and of course pilots as they see fit - provided there is some mechanism in UK Law that allows that. Again, as has been pointed out and regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, EASA would look pretty stupid if they turned around one day and said we non-longer recognise a certificate that was obtained under our rules ‘just because we don’t want to”.

BONES_
12th Sep 2018, 22:12
Ah, now I see where the issue might be!

in its Notice to Stakeholders, EASA appears to have a different opinion, saying that such licences "will no longer be valid"

I think you misunderstood what the document is saying. UK licences are and will be ICAO compliant - recognised and accepted among all ICAO members (ie nothing can stop you flying a G- reg aircraft to keep it in simple terms). No one is denying it and nowhere I can find a statement that refutes it; and certainly neither EASA nor the EU would be able to as it is well outside their jurisdiction!

However saying [EASA UK issued licences] “will no longer be valid” is actually correct because it means “no longer valid within the EASA regulation framework” for mutual recognition, acceptance of training and all privileges associated with membership. This is what they mean; certainly it is the way the way my workplace and I understand it.

Hence why easyJet EU based crews are getting their EASA licence transferred to Austria (flying OE- reg aircraft) and UK based crews keeping their EASA UK issued licences/maybe soon to be National licences (flying G- reg aircraft).

Again, as has been pointed out and regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, EASA would look pretty stupid if they turned around one day and said we non-longer recognise a certificate that was obtained under our rules ‘just because we don’t want to”.

why? without a legal framework (call it a deal or agreement or whatever you fancy) between EASA and the UK CAA, it would be foolish and quite frankly arrogant to think mutual recognition will continue after 29th March. On what legal basis? “Just because a licence was obtained under EASA” doesn’t mean anything, especially as future regulations might diverge between the two parties. You leave a club, you also give up membership privileges.

FlyingStone
13th Sep 2018, 08:18
EASA would look pretty stupid if they turned around one day and said we non-longer recognise a certificate that was obtained under our rules ‘just because we don’t want to”.

Isn’t this what happened when transition from JAA to EASA was made? JAR licences issued by EASA members were simply converted to EASA ones, while a lot of JAR licence holders issued by countries not in the EASA club were left with a nice ICAO licence.

Webby737
13th Sep 2018, 08:39
There's some interesting reading here from Baines Simmons.
According to them the government's white paper states the following:

It is proposed that mutual recognition of professional qualifications continues, to facilitate the provision of professional services by individuals and companies to be unhindered. This should include EASA licensed pilots, maintenance engineers and Air Traffic Controllers. Considering the general shortage of licensed people in aviation, we think it is unlikely that unnecessary barriers will be raised to their mobility.

The full document can be read here:
https://www.bainessimmons.com/wp-content/uploads/Brexit-The-Aviation-Impact-July-2018-2.pdf

BONES_
13th Sep 2018, 11:46
according to the BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45501007

The cabinet is meeting for a three-hour "no deal" planning session and is ready to publish contingency plans for driving licences and passports.

With regards to driving licences (in a way there are some similarities!), it could give us a flavour of could happen to us. The Cabinet was also planning to publish an aviation contingency plan this week but I gather it has been pushed back for few more days. Hopefully it will give us better insight! After all, we all want some clarity.

infrequentflyer789
13th Sep 2018, 20:26
Isn’t this what happened when transition from JAA to EASA was made? JAR licences issued by EASA members were simply converted to EASA ones, while a lot of JAR licence holders issued by countries not in the EASA club were left with a nice ICAO licence.

So was that "a nice ICAO licence" that would be recognised as valid by EASA nations (what the CAA says will happen) or an "invalid" licence (as EASA says will happen) ?

Longhitter
14th Sep 2018, 10:47
Valid as in: legal to operate a UK registered aircraft from the UK to a destination and back (provided the UK and the destination country have an agreement on landing rights). Invalid as in: not legal to operate an EASA registered aircraft.

A and C
18th Sep 2018, 22:01
The EU ultra federalist have been the first to blink over the Irish boarder problem and when they realise the damage they will do to the aviation sector they will back down........... just how are Airbus going to get an aircraft to fly if EASA decides the wings built in the UK are now no good ? The French & Germans will insist on a pragmatic resolution to this problem simply because of the money involved.

robin
18th Sep 2018, 23:16
And this affects our pilots licence how?

Whinging Tinny
19th Sep 2018, 02:05
It will affect your licence as if in the worse case scenario all UK ETSOs, EASA Form 1s, type certificates, MRO certifications will become invalid. Also the same applies in Europe to a lesser extend. Many UK maintenance personnel work in European countries and companies and many Europeans work in the UK aviation industry.Nothing will fly on either side of the fence and it won't matter what colour your licence is.
Items 1, 2, and 3 are pertinent reading in the link below:
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/brexit-notice-to-stakeholders-aviation-safety.pdf

bulldog89
19th Sep 2018, 05:09
It will affect your licence as if in the worse case scenario all UK ETSOs, EASA Form 1s, type certificates, MRO certifications will become invalid. Also the same applies in Europe to a lesser extend. Many UK maintenance personnel work in European countries and companies and many Europeans work in the UK aviation industry.Nothing will fly on either side of the fence and it won't matter what colour your licence is.
Items 1, 2, and 3 are pertinent reading in the link below:
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/brexit-notice-to-stakeholders-aviation-safety.pdf

Nothing will fly from/to the UK, not in the whole EU.
The majority of maintenance technicians based in the EU are locals, not English.

In case of no deal the UK will shoot the EU in a foot while shooting itself in the head.

Whinging Tinny
19th Sep 2018, 16:34
Nothing will fly from/to the UK, not in the whole EU.

If the UK's aviation becomes null and void, that affects the whole 'food chain'.
Airbus UK, B/E Aerospace, BAE Systems, GE Aviation Systems, Goodrich, Honeywell, Rolls Royce, Zodiac plus a few hundred other companies involved in aviation will be in non compliance of current EASA rules.

The majority of maintenance technicians based in the EU are locals, not English.

No one ever said they were not, read the statement again.
There is more than one country which makes up the United Kingdom.
Have you ever actually been on the shop floor of Airbus UK, TLS or HAM to name but one company and seen the multi national work force?

In case of no deal the UK will shoot the EU in a foot while shooting itself in the head.

If you actually step back, you will see this comes from EASA not the UKCAA, but hey ho..........

There's a bigger aviation world outside the flight deck door.

bulldog89
20th Sep 2018, 14:21
There's a bigger aviation world outside the flight deck door.

Do you really think Airbus (example) is going to keep the production lines in the UK in case of no-deal instead of moving them let’s say in Poland?
And, yes, the workforce in the aviation buisness is multi national, and this means anyone can be replaced if necessary.

MCR01
23rd Sep 2018, 21:26
Interesting speculations.
To return to the original posters question. As a UK national with a UK issued EASA licence, living permanently in France, flying a D reg sailplane has anyone any actual experience of transferring their UK EASA licence to a French EASA licence?

FE Hoppy
24th Sep 2018, 14:13
Does this mean my old UK CAA FE license will be valid again? EASA removed FE from all their documents just to spite me.

BONES_
24th Sep 2018, 18:51
http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

so much for cosmetic changes, Mr Swan!

TURIN
24th Sep 2018, 20:27
http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Looks like the CAA is going to be busy for the next two and a half years.

ExDubai
25th Sep 2018, 07:09
Looks like the CAA is going to be busy for the next two and a half years.
Two and a half year sounds a little bit optimistic. I‘d double that.

infrequentflyer789
25th Sep 2018, 13:30

Mr Swan's "cosmetic changes" clearly referred to the removal of references to EASA (not the effect of the UK leaving EASA) on the physical licenses as they were re-issued at point of change or renewal:

The CAA will continue to issue and reissue pilots' licences ... this would include removing references to EASA - a purely cosmetic change

Important to also note the context - ie. part of a statement made to address news articles which suggested that all CAA-issued licences would need immediate re-issue.

None of this is at odds with or contradicts the brexit no-deal documents. Whether it contradicts the EASA notice to stakeholders or not depends on interpretation of that notice (EASA may view the references on the physical certificate/licence as non-cosmetic, and invalidating, if the UK leaves EASA - compare CAA & EASA statements on aerodrome certificates). The CAA statements and documents, however, look to me to be entirely self consistent.

brown_eyes
26th Sep 2018, 05:40
So if Brexit does occur and there is no agreement between UK CAA and EASA. Would that mean the UK CAA will commence reissuing The UK ATPL??

Cyberhacker
26th Sep 2018, 05:52
This may be a stupid question, but (other than bloody-mindedness) why cannot the UK continue to be part of EASA - there are already non-EU (albeit EFTA) member countries?

liider
26th Sep 2018, 08:08
This may be a stupid question, but (other than bloody-mindedness) why cannot the UK continue to be part of EASA - there are already non-EU (albeit EFTA) member countries?

Because UK wants to get rid of European Court of Justice jurisdiction, and then it would be impossible to be a part of EASA.

Alex Whittingham
26th Sep 2018, 08:39
Because EASA have been instructed by the EC not to assist the UK by accepting its application to join as a non-EU State until the UK actually is a non-EU State.

infrequentflyer789
26th Sep 2018, 09:05
Because UK wants to get rid of European Court of Justice jurisdiction, and then it would be impossible to be a part of EASA.

Not true - other non-EU states are already in EASA without direct ECJ jurisdiction, and the UK has already said it is OK with indirect ECJ jurisdiction in cases like EASA.

Yes it is arguably a fudge of the UK "red line", but in reality almost every similar international agreement has some form of supranational tribunal of some sort.

superflanker
26th Sep 2018, 09:57
Not true - other non-EU states are already in EASA without direct ECJ jurisdiction, and the UK has already said it is OK with indirect ECJ jurisdiction in cases like EASA.

If the UK bites the bullet with the NI border issue, I think there will be no problem with them staying on EASA.

bringbackthe80s
26th Sep 2018, 11:02
Just reading about the UK wanting to finally close the borders to EU citizens in 3 years time..brace for impact Ahahhah

liider
26th Sep 2018, 12:33

Yes it is arguably a fudge of the UK "red line", but in reality almost every similar international agreement has some form of supranational tribunal of some sort.

There is no such thing as "indirect jurisdiction", this is just what UK government is trying to invent. You either stay, follow and abide or lose all privileges and play on your own.

infrequentflyer789
26th Sep 2018, 14:06
There is no such thing as "indirect jurisdiction", this is just what UK government is trying to invent. You either stay, follow and abide or lose all privileges and play on your own.

From https://news.sky.com/story/govt-to-stay-in-eu-air-safety-body-in-blurring-of-brexit-red-line-11151049

Norway and Switzerland have joint committees to allow that jurisdiction to operate indirectly, but it still exists.

UK government is not trying to invent anything, just looking for the sort of EASA membership deal that has already been given to others.

Note that the Swiss have similar opinions to UK wrt. ECJ, and the current EU-Swiss treaty negotiations have reached impasse on precisely the issue of the Swiss accepting direct ECJ jurisdiction (spoiler: they won't).

liider
26th Sep 2018, 17:08
Even many lawyers have an opinion that "direct" and so-called "indirect" jurisdiction is technically the same. In case of Brexit, it's just an attempt to somehow show (or cheat?) to Brits that UK could have an option to choose, if they want ECJ to make decisions in one specific area, but not in some other.

But it's just an illusion, you should know that it's impasse from the EU side.

TheEdge
26th Sep 2018, 17:52
Find update on the subject : :info.caa.co.uk/eu-exit/commercial-pilots/ (http://:info.caa.co.uk/eu-exit/commercial-pilots/)

saracen201
19th Oct 2018, 10:28
I'm currently doing ATPL Theory with the UK CAA, do you think that the theory credits will still be valid after 28th March (assuming we exit EASA) towards a UK CAA CPL/IR?
Considering changing SOLI over to IAA and potentially registering to do the EASA exams with AustroControl (Bristol Ground School have set up an AustroControl exam centre at their HQ)

Lexsis
16th Nov 2018, 11:23
Anyone noticed the UK CAA issued a new ''official'' form called SRG 2150 since October 18? Regarding license transfer from UK to another EASA member state. I am in the process of changing my license to another EU country. Seems this form is there to make it more difficult and longer to get your application through. Since it now says on the CAA website you need to provide this form, before they can issue a DOC 155. Due to GDPR.... yeah right...

delarue
31st Jan 2019, 15:56
Looking at the Irish CAA fees schedule, and considering the following:

* Transfer of my UK CPL to IAA costs €450 according to the IAA fees schedule.

* I have recently renewed my SEP and IR. I have sent the paperwork to the UK CAA but a new UK licence may or may not be issued before the IAA get around to processing my paperwork. If it does go through in time, I'll have to pay €300.- or €600.- when I renew my MEP.

* If it doesn't go through in time, somehow I'll have to apply for renewal of my ratings separately, at €300.- each.

In summary, am I really looking at a bill of €750 to €1350 from the IAA for the "privilege" of transferring my licence? :ooh:

McMax
1st Feb 2019, 08:53
That’s cheap compared to other EASA states like Austria...

delarue
6th Feb 2019, 16:07
That’s cheap compared to other EASA states like Austria...

As far as I can ascertain, Austria is marginally cheaper. See the attached fee schedule.

Available from www.austrocontrol.at/en/pilots/pilot_licenses/licensing

McMax
7th Feb 2019, 10:09
As far as I can ascertain, Austria is marginally cheaper. See the attached fee schedule.

Available from www.austrocontrol.at/en/pilots/pilot_licenses/licensing

780€ for each rating over 20 MTOW, half/third for renewal.
So if you renew your license having 4 or 5 ratings on it, it get‘s quite expensive I‘d say.

But overall it‘s not too bad, you‘re right.

lost_somewhere
9th Feb 2019, 06:11
Hi All,

I've just returned from a long time in the Middle East and due to flying on a foreign licence did not transfer my UK EASA ATPL to another state.

I completed am a LPC on the UK licence to get me back up to speed and then late yesterday i was unexpectedly offered a position on a European registered aircraft... I wonder if anyone knows if I can still complete the transfer to an IAA licence.

I believe the company is willing to wait so the delay should not be a massive problem but I wonder if anyone else has started the transfer this late in the game and if so what the CAA have advised.
I intend to speak to them on Monday anyway (although I'm not sure how much info they will be able to provide) but thought I would ask here over the weekend to gather anyone else's experience.

Many thanks in advance

fdgolf
9th Feb 2019, 07:32
Hi,

As far as I know, you can still transfer, why not? You can do this until Friday 29/3. The problem is that the CAA is overwhelmed with the requests, and it takes longer than usual for them. Hence they will transfer to the IAA. However, not in time as to continue flying in April, but likely a few weeks later. All this in case of no-deal or no interim EASA agreement, talk about a few months of grace period is on the way.
Let as know about what you are told on Monday...

Cheers

Officer Kite
16th Mar 2019, 11:55
Does anyone know how long it will take to do a medical SOLI transfer from the UK CAA? I am in urgent need of my records to be transferred to Lithuania for license issue

crimito
16th Mar 2019, 19:23
Does anyone know how long it will take to do a medical SOLI transfer from the UK CAA? I am in urgent need of my records to be transferred to Lithuania for license issue

It took more than 2 months for me... Started mid of December and finished a couple of days ago.

Banana Joe
16th Mar 2019, 20:56
Basically, not by 29th March.

Officer Kite
17th Mar 2019, 05:23
oh dear, is there any express service for a higher price? my CPL, and all MEP and SEP skill test ratings will expire if i have to wait that long :yuk:

Banana Joe
17th Mar 2019, 06:19
Nope. It seems you should have acted earlier given the British gov't hasn't known what they are up to for a long time... And the thing is, will your license be recognised after 29th March? I haven't really followed the whole thing but in case of a no deal Brexit you are caught with your pants down.

I know of a very experienced expat in Asia that probably will have to re-sit ATPL exams after many years due to this.

Officer Kite
17th Mar 2019, 06:41
Nope. It seems you should have acted earlier given the British gov't hasn't known what they are up to for a long time... And the thing is, will your license be recognised after 29th March? I haven't really followed the whole thing but in case of a no deal Brexit you are caught with your pants down.

I know of a very experienced expat in Asia that probably will have to re-sit ATPL exams after many years due to this.

i had no idea SOLI was even a thing until now i'm going to apply for my frozen ATPL the LT CAA have said i cannot until i do a SOLI transfer. My initial was done in the UK in 2017, my 2018 and 2019 renewals were under the Lithuanian CAA.

i don't have any flying license yet to be recognised/unrecognised (only LT CAA skill test pass forms), the desired transfer only concerns my medical records. I have proposed to do away with all my UK attachments in this regard and just redo the initial from scratch but the LT CAA seem to say it doesn't work that way.

Hopefully if the uk leave EASA the uk initial becomes meaningless to Lithuania and they will then allow me to redo an initial in Lithuania and it can all be solved in 2 days that way.

Razor88
18th Mar 2019, 21:33
Morning everyone,

The UK CAA has informed me a few days ago that they have released the required paperwork for licence transfer (doc 155) and the SOLI.

I wonder how long the IAA will take to issue my license but do you guys reckon that I can breath a sigh of relief now?

I am guessing that since the IAA has got all the paperwork it should not matter anymore whether they will issue my license before or after Brexit.

Razor88
19th Mar 2019, 16:17
Does somebody have any clue about my query?

Cheers.

ShamrockF
19th Mar 2019, 16:50
Last time I was chatting to them they had 900 SOLI applications. This will rise to over 1,000 soon.

Hold tight. They'll get through it soon.

fdgolf
19th Mar 2019, 22:48
I know fellows at the airline I work for that started paperwork with the UK CAA on February 18th, and they already hold their new ly issued license from their chosen NAA. That's less than 4 weeks total time...

Cheers

Officer Kite
19th Mar 2019, 23:18
I know fellows at the airline I work for that started paperwork with the UK CAA on February 18th, and they already hold their new ly issued license from their chosen NAA. That's less than 4 weeks total time...

Cheers

Latest update is that I spoke to the UK CAA on Monday and they said they have reduced the waiting times dramatically and they hoped to have all transfer requests done prior to march 29th. The reason it was taking 3 months at one point was due to a backlog that has now cleared.

Old King Coal
23rd Mar 2019, 17:09
The UK CAA were really quick (just a few days) with getting ready to action my SOLI medical records release over to the IAA (whom will become my new NAA of choice).

Unfortunately however the IAA are taking an age in processing the transfer from their side, to the extent that the UK CAA phoned me (three days ago) and made the point that they are still waiting for the IAA to contact them for transfer of my medical record.

To try and find out if the IAA have got my application paperwork (which I sent as 'recorded mail' to them, and of which I've been able to track that it was indeed delivered) I tried calling the IAA but no one would answer the phone. I've also emailed them and had no reply. One can well imagine that they're snowed under with SOLI applications.

SpainHire
23rd Mar 2019, 21:18
I transferred away from UK to Irish CAA. Started in January and Irish sent me my license in mid Feb.

drfaust
24th Mar 2019, 14:57
I managed to get the documents sent by the UK CAA after applying mid-way January just about a week or so ago to the Dutch CAA. They don’t seem to be too snowed under, if I call them I always get to speak to a real person. Things seem to move pretty quickly there.

Just waiting now for the actual issue of the licence, but if the Irish are too busy and you’re in a tight spot, consider some other countries that might be easy to deal with.

Also, as long as your application is in before the end of March the Dutch guarantee to issue you a licence regardless of what happens with Brexit providing your documentation is in order. They came up with that as it seemed a lot of people were going to get stuck over on the British side of things despite applying months in advance with a valid and current EASA document. Best of luck with this crapshoot!

Officer Kite
24th Mar 2019, 17:11
There was no reason to panic, I applied for the SOLI on Monday 18th March and it was completed by Thursday 21st March lunctime!! The UK CAA are on top of things now again

captplaystation
24th Mar 2019, 19:32
So, leave it to the very last minute was the best. :rolleyes:

Those of us namby-pambys frightened into applying in good time had to wait, well in my case anyhow, more than 2 mths. :ugh:

dynamicq
2nd Apr 2019, 08:28
My SOLI was sent 22th of Feb. But IAA licensing is telling me they are still waitting for my medical :0!! :D Just resent it. But I am a bit worried it is impossible to get through to IAA Medical. They dont respond to emails, voicemails, phone calls.

Aeroshizzle
2nd Apr 2019, 15:28
anyone had a partial state change?
my license transferred, but my medical is still with UK caa.
now they are asking for all the re-validation medical reports in English, (german ame). I asked if they want a notarised translation or if i can just copy the results onto an english form, but they wouldnt say. any one in the same boat?
and what business is it to them, just transfer my ****

iggy
3rd Apr 2019, 01:34
and what business is it to them, just transfer my ****

The CAA sending your medical records must confirm your medical condition to the caa receiving them. In my case the old CAA (not UK) asked me for my 3 previous complete medical reports before sending a message that literally said: "He is ok" to the new CAA (again not UK). Only after that the new CAA will issue a license.

Or so I have been explained..

Questiontoask
8th Apr 2019, 08:08
Hi All,

I am getting a little confused about the process, I need to send both SRG2150 form and the SOLI form (SRG1202) to the UK CAA while sending the License Transfer application request form to the Irish Authorities, correct ?

Is there a way you can apply for the SOLI and SRG2150 to the CAA via e-licensing ?

Kind regards,

FooFighter
8th Apr 2019, 10:05
Hi,
Does anyone know or have any experience in trasferring state from the UK with a “temporarily unfit” medical?
Is it possible to change state in this instance? Or is it a hard requirement to have a valid class 1 medical?
would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

alex_s229
9th Apr 2019, 08:54
Hi,
Does anyone know or have any experience in trasferring state from the UK with a “temporarily unfit” medical?
Is it possible to change state in this instance? Or is it a hard requirement to have a valid class 1 medical?
would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.
Hi FooFighter, yes you can, I just did a couple of months ago. The old CAA will transfer your medical history to the new CAA, and they will make a decision on your fitness.
Maybe they will follow the old CAA’s decision on your temporary unfit or as they did with me, disregard what the old CAA decided and give your medical back.

FooFighter
10th Apr 2019, 12:40
Thanks for that:)
I called and checked it with the UK CAA. They said no problem from their side. I just hope my national CAA will see it the same...
if anyone else has any experience and or tips...thanks!:)

OMAR HABEEB ALLAH
18th Nov 2019, 17:57
Hi Alex

as i'm in the same situation of foofighter
what is the member state you had your medical done

Regards

Omar