View Full Version : Link to Uniform Regs Anyone?

jayteeto
7th Sep 2018, 17:42
Does anyone have a link to a site that gives RAF uniform regulations? Specifically, position of brevets for jumpers and new DPM regs. Ta!

Harley Quinn
7th Sep 2018, 18:51
If you're in and entitled AP1358 under RAF Publications should cover your questions

Lima Juliet
7th Sep 2018, 19:23
Does anyone have a link to a site that gives RAF uniform regulations? Specifically, position of brevets for jumpers and new DPM regs. Ta!

Jayteeto

Firstly, they are Flying Badges as “Brevets” are certificates. The Fg Branch team will tell you that. Secondly, the Flying Badges go on the left breast. They can go on jumpers, No 1, No 5, Flying Coveralls and No 3 dress (which is mostly PCS these days). There are also some weird tropical variations of normal dress that they can go on.

Here is AM Stu Atha wearing his Flying Badge on No 3 PCS:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/1620x2000/raf_news_24_aug_2018_3281x4048_49ea810b5ec28f0be99b63d1f1082 ff278056144.jpg

langleybaston
7th Sep 2018, 20:48
Firstly, they are Flying Badges as “Brevets” are certificates.

But not to the army I believe.

diginagain
7th Sep 2018, 21:17
Firstly, they are Flying Badges as “Brevets” are certificates.

But not to the army I believe.
"Brevet" is a rank, although a bit of a relic from the past, but you're right about the Army Flying Badge. Then there's "The Badge"....https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/300x296/_35_5307753a556dcfc9e40735b0be0976726c427486.jpg

Melchett01
7th Sep 2018, 21:48
"Then there's "The Badge"....

RAF Regiment mudguards?

jayteeto
7th Sep 2018, 21:51
Couldn’t give a toss what the proper name is, I’m not that anally retentive. I’ve not yet got access to the APs, i just can’t remember where exactly to sew the bloody things on!! They’ve also given me a huge bag of DPM kit and I have no idea what goes with what, do you tuck shirts in or not with summer kit, etc etc
I'm on day 1 (part 2) in a couple of weeks and straight into wearing uniform after 15 years away. I’m keen to at least make a decent effort at the beginning before I get a chance to check the books, hence I was asking does anyone have a link to the regulations.
I've always found that newspaper clippings show “interpretations” on correct dress............... ��

langleybaston
7th Sep 2018, 22:29
Couldn’t give a toss what the proper name is, I’m not that anally retentive.

That's fine, the "cannot give a toss"ultimately rely on we, the retentive, for the facts.

An army brevet is [or was?] a mysterious accolade that provided extra army seniority without extra regimental seniority. Thus a captain brevet lt-colonel could be rather junior in his regiment to other captains, but would outrank any major if placed in a mixed task force, or on a Court martial or whatever.
As an example the officer who commanded the mixed force that put down the Connaught Rangers' Mutiny c. 1920 was a captain, Bt Lt-Col with assorted officers and sub-units under him. But he was a DSO MC man ...................

Tuck your shirt in, its safer these days.

jayteeto
7th Sep 2018, 22:37
Langley, sorry, I didn’t mean it as a personal insult. It was a throwaway line, badly phrased. I just meant that you knew what I was referring to and I’m not too concerned with terminology. I am looking for examples of ‘numbers’, eg 1/2/3 dress and also measurements for the positioning of the badge (��). Tucked in it is, although my belly might be enhanced........

langleybaston
7th Sep 2018, 22:42
No worries.Enjoy the ride!

Tankertrashnav
7th Sep 2018, 23:16
RAF Regiment mudguards?

I only heard the mudguards name when I joined PPRuNe, I have no recollection of it being used in the five years when I was in the RAF Regiment from 1964 to 1969. Maybe it was current and just passed me by

"Then there's "The Badge"...

Or if you were in the 17th/21st Lancers there was "the motto".

heights good
8th Sep 2018, 02:14
JayTeeto,

Dont get too wrapped up in the minutiae. Just sew your brevet on in a similar position to Stu Atha in the RAF News picture above and you wont go wrong.

PCS - Shirts are tucked in unless its really hot or ops/exercise. Buy a beret as the issued ones are a bit rubbish now.

Blues - nothing has changed in 15 yrs, other than the quality of the garments.

Flying gear - Good luck in getting it this side of 2020! Correct wearing of it? Usual aircrew shambles, nothing has changed :)

Where are you off to once you get the rejoiner part put of the way?

57mm
8th Sep 2018, 06:31
Better still, stick 'em on with Velcro. Brevets go really weird after a few washes....

jayteeto
8th Sep 2018, 07:15
Off to CFS then LUAS. I don’t do the rejoining course until November, hence I am hitting the ground running. No complaints so far, have managed to get kitted before joining date and people couldn’t be more helpful!!
Nothing but praise so far

andrewjgreen1
8th Sep 2018, 07:38
Jay,

through needing to to look something up when not connected to the Defence Intranet I came across the Air Cadet Central site.

Their file plan contains a late ‘17 edition of AP1358 - might not be 100% up to date but I suspect you’ll not go far wrong.

I’ll send you a link via DM shortly - afraid I can’t put it up here for you and all else who might benefit as I’m below 10 posts and therefore can’t post a URL!

jayteeto
8th Sep 2018, 09:17
Brilliant thanks!

Lima Juliet
8th Sep 2018, 10:03
Better still, stick 'em on with Velcro. Brevets go really weird after a few washes....

I’m not surprised your certificate goes a bit weird in the wash! :} :}

Lima Juliet
8th Sep 2018, 10:12
Here you go, some links to an older version. It is undergoing rewrite right now to include the new Future Aircrew Clothing System (FACS):

https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/APs%20%20ACPs/AP1358Chap1.pdf
https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/APs%20%20ACPs/AP1358Chap2.pdf
https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/APs%20%20ACPs/AP1358Chap6.pdf
https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/APs%20%20ACPs/AP1358Chap7.pdf

That should keep you out of trouble :)

jayteeto
8th Sep 2018, 10:14
A bit of light reading!

Lima Juliet
8th Sep 2018, 10:23
LOL!

On the badge versus brevet business, have a read of page 103 of the RAF Historical Society Journal. The article is called “The Law, and Lore, of RAF Flying Badges” by Wg Cdr (Retd) ‘Jeff’ Jefford. It spells out what we have been getting wrong for 100 years! :)

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/research/RAF-Historical-Society-Journals/Journal-52.pdf

langleybaston
8th Sep 2018, 15:53
I only heard the mudguards name when I joined PPRuNe, I have no recollection of it being used in the five years when I was in the RAF Regiment from 1964 to 1969. Maybe it was current and just passed me by

Or if you were in the 17th/21st Lancers there was "the motto".

Then there is the Coldstream cap star

ShyTorque
8th Sep 2018, 19:58
But is it normal to wear the friendship band on the same wrist as the big watch?

My T Hunter
9th Sep 2018, 07:56
Despite what is seen on the uniforms of VSOs in RAF News, in my experience flying badges on combats (whatever they're called officially today) isn't really done.

In any case, if it's been 15 years you've enough to worry about with various velcro rectangles, TRFs and Union flags.

jayteeto
9th Sep 2018, 08:22
Sewing wings on right now, just decided to guess exact position

glad rag
9th Sep 2018, 10:02
Jayteeto

Firstly, they are Flying Badges as “Brevets” are certificates. The Fg Branch team will tell you that. Secondly, the Flying Badges go on the left breast. They can go on jumpers, No 1, No 5, Flying Coveralls and No 3 dress (which is mostly PCS these days). There are also some weird tropical variations of normal dress that they can go on.

Here is AM Stu Atha wearing his Flying Badge on No 3 PCS:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/1620x2000/raf_news_24_aug_2018_3281x4048_49ea810b5ec28f0be99b63d1f1082 ff278056144.jpg

Amazing how these VSO's like to dress up, all he's doing there is moving himself up the snipers must do list.

Chris Kebab
9th Sep 2018, 12:42
Amazing how these VSO's like to dress up, all he's doing there is moving himself up the snipers must do list.
...have many Brits been taken out by snipers in Romania then?

Lima Juliet
9th Sep 2018, 14:09

I thought exactly the same! Also, the Air Marshal rank badge gives him away as likely to be Aircrew and also probably more of target than a lowly stick-monkey badge! ;)

PS. Had a flying badge on my CS95 and PCS for the last 10 years or so when it started to be allowed. The Army have been doing it for years. Just like a flying suit, you sanitise when you go on ops...

charliegolf
9th Sep 2018, 15:21

Doh! You idiot, now no-one's safe in Romania!

CG;)

glad rag
9th Sep 2018, 23:08

Why are they wearing MTP then??

PS Never really "got" the rational about wearing a high contrast rank marker at centre of mass either....

Harley Quinn
10th Sep 2018, 13:02
Why are they wearing MTP then??

PS Never really "got" the rational about wearing a high contrast rank marker at centre of mass either....

That's because when you're on proper ops the rationale is you put the low viz stuff on, but then you knew that didn't you?