PDA

View Full Version : AP Qatar Airways

batmax
6th Sep 2018, 12:09
Hi
one question about the procedures at Qatar Airways. Normally the ME airlines always uses the autopilot as often as they can, we heard on our flight school. Is that really true, especially for Qatar Airways ? We heard after 200ftAGL they have to engage the AP and during landing: they are only allowed to disconnect the AP after passing 200AGL.

Greetings :-)

av8tordude
6th Sep 2018, 13:06
Hi
one question about the procedures at Qatar Airways. Normally the ME airlines always uses the autopilot as often as they can, we heard on our flight school. Is that really true, especially for Qatar Airways ? We heard after 200ftAGL they have to engage the AP and during landing: they are only allowed to disconnect the AP after passing 200AGL.

Greetings :-)
Not True. Unless there there has been a change, OM-A states you must engage the A/P below 10,000 MSL. Some pilots will engage the A/P right after lift off and disconnect it at 200ft. To maintain my proficiency, I never engage the A/P until 10,000 Ft and always disconnect the A/P after 5000 Ft. Never had an issue!

Cheers

EDDT
6th Sep 2018, 14:39
Autopilot off okay.

But a how about raw data and autothrust off?

batmax
6th Sep 2018, 15:33
Autopilot off okay.

But a how about raw data and autothrust off?

Good question

casablanca
6th Sep 2018, 16:07
Last time I saw anyone flying raw data on a regular basis was the 727.
tell me which major airlines encourage raw data? The list is pretty short

APU_inop
6th Sep 2018, 21:45
AP off is encouraged if workload permits, raw data and A/T off however, is not

Che Xindamail
7th Sep 2018, 09:43
We have pilots who use the autopilot as much as possible due to being scared to death of manual flight. They are usually 21 years old, very interested in social media and like to wear sunglasses.

BR-Pilot
7th Sep 2018, 13:28
We have pilots who use the autopilot as much as possible due to being scared to death of manual flight. They are usually 21 years old, very interested in social media and like to wear sunglasses.
And in other airlines they know more about the best position to attach a GoPro in the cockpit than about the airline's SOP.

touch&go
7th Sep 2018, 14:39
And come to work for a nice morning flight, say they didn't sleep and then want to sleep for 6 hours.

Officer Kite
7th Sep 2018, 23:19

Any chance at all to take a swipe at the younger pilots, it gets boring after a while and just looks silly.

Fuel-Off
8th Sep 2018, 05:33
So when I see captains (and not just the young ones) engaging the AP at 200', placing cameras everywhere in the flight deck, taking a snooze during daytime flights, knowing how to squeeze every last dollar out of the contract more than they know SOPs - that doesn't count right?

There are some 'seasoned' captains who I wouldn't trust with a shopping cart, let alone an aircraft. But we have to make do...

Happens from either seat, gents. Just holster those ageist remarks as it has been said, the young pilot bashing is getting tiresome.

Fuel-Off :ok:

Che Xindamail
8th Sep 2018, 18:51
Any chance at all to take a swipe at the younger pilots, it gets boring after a while and just looks silly.

i agree, and I admit to being too general. It’s an industry issue, of which poor manual skills is a symptom. My comment comes from a sense of frustration that I’m sure I share with other older gents, who remember a time when proven manual flying skills was a must in order to get into an airline. It may sound harsh, but the lack of skills I witness nowadays leave me wondering where the industry is headed. And it’s not just RHS, as Fuel Off rightly pointed out.

WrldWide
8th Sep 2018, 22:17
If an "old guy" , I meet that criteria btw, is being more critical than supportive and not being encouraging then I am afraid that the old guy is the problem. Us old guys may have had more opportunity to "learn the ropes" in bygone days with less stringent SOP/NOP but that does not relieve us of the obligation of allowing the younger guys room to learn. The current ME culture is not that supportive of this notion but I argue that not ALL old guys are the problem but rather the ME punitive management culture is the culprit.
Cheers

BOEINGANDROLEX
13th Sep 2018, 03:11
I am flying the 737 in a big airline company based in central america, here we are encouraged to fly in automation level 4, that means Autopilot LNAV VNAV as much time as we can. Of course, that depends from pilot to pilot, some guys as me usually fly hand flown below 10.000 ft, others engage the autopilot at 400 ft and disengage at the minimums. That is up to the pilot, since you follow your company's manuals.