View Full Version : Are the schools in the USA open over Xmas?

CommanderBlonde
18th Jun 2001, 20:07
This is the best time for me to get holiday from work - so I was wondering if anyone out there has done a PPL at this time of year?

Also any Floridians(?) out there that can tell me what sort weather to expect?

GPS Approach
18th Jun 2001, 21:56
Commanderblonde,

I was out in San Diego last Christmas at Anglo American doing my CPL/IR and there were guys out there at the same time doing there JAA PPL over the Xmas period. We did have Xmas day off though, although there were some guys flying! not me I was in the Australian bar eating my Xmas dinner and drinking lots of beer!

Weather was excellent as well, ate Xmas dinner outside by the beach under the palm trees wearing shorts and t-shirt! Certainly beat cold, miserable Blighty!

------------------
Aargh, that was the taxiway we landed on!

Gspot
19th Jun 2001, 01:34
CommanderBlonde

Christmas over here in the US isn't the long protracted holiday it is in the UK. Typically people get only one or two days off. All the stores and businesses close only on 25th.

The weather in Florida at Christmas is usually very nice, infact it is high season here. Remember though at this time of year it gets dark early, limiting your flying time

My son recently came over for three weeks at Easter and went back with his Private. I am a CFI, CFII and MEI and did most of his training. I used a company called Chandelle Aviation at West Palm Beach, they allowed me to use their aircraft to teach my son and provided an excellent instructor for the days I had to fly. (I'm a pilot for Southwest Airlines).

I don't know what your timeframe is but assuming your not going to have weeks out here there are things you can do to optimize your time and increase your chances of completing the rating before your return to UK.

To give you an idea we used a Cessna 172 at $75 hour, the school add 10% to your account if you deposit an amount in excess of $1000,which brings the cost to $67.50 an hour, as a student you can be exempt sales tax. Our total bill was right at $3500, that included checkride medical written test etc. Bear in mind though we only used their instuctors for a few hours @ $20 hour.

Email me if there is anything I can do to help. [email protected]
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Gspot (edited 18 June 2001).]

Mariner9
19th Jun 2001, 13:19
I was in FLA over Xmas & the new year. The place was very quiet, which made for great aircraft & instructor availability.
The weather wasn't great though...early morning starts delayed by fog & even frost - on a couple of days the fog set in all day.
Having said that, still managed 41 hrs flying & all writtens in 2 weeks 1 day though! Email if you want more info.