PDA

View Full Version : F-reg aircraft transponder mode S outside France

turbopropmike
3rd Sep 2018, 16:11
Hello everyone.

I seem not able to find this information anywhere.

i will probably be buying an F registered aircraft soon. One which doesn't have a mode s transponder nor the 8.33 radio.I have been reading on the internet that as of sept 2018 the radio is mandatory in class A, C, D airspaces in France, and it is not until 2021 that this extends to F, G, E as well. I am going to bring the plane to another easa country where the 8.33 is not yet mandatory in class D, C. Thus won't be using the aircraft in France at all. Does anyone of you know if I will be able to fly the plane in these C, D airspaces outside of France where 8. 33 and mode S is not mandatory?

Thanks a lot

Mike

Jan Olieslagers
3rd Sep 2018, 17:35
Might depend on the class of registration. For example I can imagine the rules for experimentals might be different in different countries. But whatever the answer today, tomorrow you won't do much flying without mode S and 8,33 comms. So at best you can push the change forward hoping the stuff will become less expensive. And BTW no kind of radio or transponder is mandatory in class F and G anyway.

patowalker
3rd Sep 2018, 20:00
The aircraft must comply with French airworthiness regulations and be operated in accordance with rules of the country it is visiting, so it seems you will be OK. Just make sure that crossing FIR boundaries does not require calls on 8.33kHz.

ChickenHouse
3rd Sep 2018, 20:48
I do fly a lot all over Europe.
I thought to get around with only one 8.33khz radio.
I was wrong.
I thought to get around with only a Mode C/A XPDR.
I was wrong again.

Do yourself, and us, a favor and get both.

Many regions are unflyable now without and it gets worse every day.
Many airports, TMZ, RMZ and listening squawk areas pop up.

No Mode S equals no XPDR at all by SERA definition.
No 8.33 radio equals no radio at all by definition.
Do you really like to be that confined in travel?
Maybe ok for a motor parachute, but for flying?

Maoraigh1
3rd Sep 2018, 21:04
We bought a UK registered aircraft with a .25 radio and an A.C transponder. I flew it up to Inverness, and had to use an 8.33 handheld a lot. We fitted an 8.33 and a Mode S.
Your aircraft might not meet current French regulations if it has not recently had an Annual, and has not been flown much, from a small airfield.
You might get away with a handheld for a delivery trip. I had problems until I reached the still-.25 area.
PS I squawked with Charlie all the way. When we replaced the transponder with a Trigg Mode S, we didn't find a blind encoder.:rolleyes:

Sam Rutherford
5th Sep 2018, 06:27
Last posters are correct, just get yourself S and 8.33 and enjoy every single flight much, much more...

turbopropmike
5th Sep 2018, 13:11
I know at some point I wil have to get it. But since I will be doing my fliying in a region not in mainland europe. Plus I also have a 8.33 handheld yaesu radio for the delivery trip. It is just that I wouldn't wat to ground the plane astraightaway after buying it plus spending more money in getting the mode s and 8.33 now

thank you all for your replies