PDA

View Full Version : ACS Flight Training (previously Tayflite?)

Okavango
3rd Sep 2018, 15:32
Has anyone any experience of the above for commercial training (MEIR in particular). Any feedback appreciated (I think it was previously Tayflite and at one time had links with Loganair?).

Bridgestone17
4th Sep 2018, 07:01
Unless things have drastically changed ACS are based at Perth Aerodrome and are completely separate from Tayside Aviation who are based at Dundee Airport. Both schools enjoy a good reputation and will cover your training requirement but forget these so called links with Airlines as they cannot take every student that passes through their doors. Both places have former students in various airlines.

RomeoTango89
7th Sep 2018, 15:38
What TangoAlphad said. Complete turnaround.

Tremendous school, great atmosphere, great instructors. Just brought a second DA42 onto line for MEIR training, CPL is done on an Arrow. Been several students jumping ship from the local competition as well which speaks volumes in my humble.

geardown1
23rd Sep 2018, 10:14
ACS in Perth is a phenomenal set up and run by aviation professions, some of which are still currently flying as airline captains. The competition over the road is getting more and more bad press. Recently heard that at Tayside, the closest competitor, the (failing) degree course students are now being forced to do their Flight Instructor Rating for a while, before completing the Instrument Rating in order to teach the next lot coming in the door! Ludicrous. I'm lead to believe that less than five people have actually completed the course in all its time.

ACS at Perth is professional, welcoming, they're investing a lot into the school and it shows. Wonderful place.

Fransstal2
4th Mar 2019, 15:41
I am thinking of getting a CPL and I was considering Tayside but now I am not due to what you said. Please tell me more about why the Degree course is terrible? They cost the same pretty much.

coboltblue
7th Mar 2019, 04:02
I have visited the school and had a trial flight, facilities seemed good and the instuctor seemed like someone I could work with.

They used to get a bad rep but I was told that they have gone through alot of changes and are now providing a high standard of training.

Their connected to pathway to pilot for the ground school, my Dad is a long time friend of one of the guys there. He is a great guy, ex RAF with loads of experience. You could definitely do alot worse.

​​​​

pilot in command
7th Mar 2019, 11:02
ACS is very good. DA42s for IR training and quick zero to hero progress. I would say go visit both ACS and Tayside though at Tayside the IR is still done on the Seneca and there is no Seneca model on the sim. If you do the degree you will need to do FI rating before IR. thus you can’t apply to airlines.

TooL8
7th Mar 2019, 14:56
coboltblue, are you referring to Tayside or ACS? Heading up to Dundee next week or so and will probably visit both before my CPL decision!