PDA

View Full Version : Centralisation of the BOM

Stationair8
3rd Sep 2018, 12:39
ABC are reporting that the BoM are planning to centralise forecasting into two centres, Melbourne and a Brisbane.

That should help with the accuracy of forecasting in the Top End during the wet season and winter in south west WA.

The Banjo
3rd Sep 2018, 13:54
The number of unforecast fog events in Perth does not bode well for the local content argument.

Lookleft
3rd Sep 2018, 23:59
I remember over 30 years ago when the regional Met offices were closed and you couldn't get face to face met briefings. It was always much better to be able to speak to someone who knew the local vagaries of the weather. The weather forecasting has just been reduced to computer modelling and an app.

UnderneathTheRadar
4th Sep 2018, 00:33
I remember over 30 years ago when the regional Met offices were closed and you couldn't get face to face met briefings. It was always much better to be able to speak to someone who knew the local vagaries of the weather. The weather forecasting has just been reduced to computer modelling and an app.

I've always found the phone numbers direct to the aviation forecaster on the bottom of the area forecasts put me onto people who were very happy to help and provide significantly more detail on timing and likelihood of weather. Granted, not the same as face to face but a pretty reasonable approximation.

Lookleft
4th Sep 2018, 03:02
On 30 minute turnarounds when I am already 60 minutes late I just carry more fuel.:ok:

LeadSled
4th Sep 2018, 03:14
The number of unforecast fog events in Perth does not bode well for the local content argument.

Banjo,
The fog forecasts in Perth have never been good.
Tootle pip!!

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
4th Sep 2018, 03:29
ABC are reporting that the BoM are planning to centralise forecasting into two centres, Melbourne and a Brisbane.

That should help with the accuracy of forecasting in the Top End during the wet season and winter in south west WA.

Since when did forecasters ever look out the window? Their task is to interpret observations (done by an entirely different group of people) and trends which come in from a multitude of locations. What difference does it make where the room they sit in is located to do that? Forecasters were not the ones at the regional airports doing briefings. They were all observers. They did have vast local knowledge of weather conditions, but they were not the ones formulating the TAFs or ARFORs.

Section28- BE
4th Sep 2018, 11:34
Would, 'they' be provided with 'better' Columbian Nose Candy- accompanied by the entrails of 'different' chickens.....????

Just asking- .......???, sorry- just doing year #7 of something Australia no longer understands nor relates to.....

Rgds
S28- BE

GA Driver
4th Sep 2018, 14:39
On 30 minute turnarounds when I am already 60 minutes late I just carry more fuel.

Spot on! :ok: Just Incase a ‘non compliant cobt’ should pop up :E