PDA

View Full Version : How to Perform an overhead departure?

jaydotbe
2nd Sep 2018, 17:29
Doing an overhead join is simple because I know the CAA way that I was instructed during my lessons. As for the departure though i'm clueless.

Do you maintain the track for the circuit but just keep climbing?
Do you ever track onto the deadside?
Surely at some point, you mix with the overhead joiners?
How do you do it?

If I could have a step by step from the moment you're taking off, that'd be great!
Thanks,
J

For context. I had to head south through Farnborough ATZ from Blackbushe but I would've been too low/wouldn't have given enough notice if I went direct. Didn't want to wander off to the north.

For context, Blackbushe and Farnborough's ATZs touchhttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/565x455/h4cv_50bc18f90244a413e9bb04e4181bd631e28084cd.png

ShyTorque
2nd Sep 2018, 20:24
Why do you see a requirement to depart from the overhead? Why not plan to head for the VRP at J3 M1 and call Farnborough asap on leaving the Blackbushe circuit pattern, either from downwind R25 or from upwind if on R07. If Farnborough won't allow you through in good time you could orbit or just route around to the east side and rejoin track as appropriate. If Farnborough allow you to route through their overhead - hopefully you will be able to see it to your right side and "cuff it" direct.

jaydotbe
3rd Sep 2018, 22:47
Why do you see a requirement to depart from the overhead? Why not plan to head for the VRP at J3 M1 and call Farnborough asap on leaving the Blackbushe circuit pattern

It seemed to me that is was commonplace for the blackbushers as Farnborough knew the intentions, but your suggestion upon further reflection seems even more ideal! I thought the VRP was too close to the 2500+ TMA for my liking but its 3+ miles away and very definitive. I will certainly try this next time!