PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Get Out More.

Sunfish
30th Aug 2018, 07:27
Not content with Vietnam and Europe this year, I have almost reached Port Douglas - all efforts to get away from Victorian winter weather.

We are driving to Port Douglas five days in easy stages; Parkes, Goondi, Springsure, Charters Towers and now Mission Beach. Airline transport was a no no because of SWMBO's recent surgery.

Why didn't I fly? The effort of finding a C172 for hire to someone like me is too hard, paying for about 20+ hours was probably about line ball pricewise, but the business of flying into Cairns and the bad weather possibilities on the coast got the better of me.

I'm getting cynical; I watched a ringer arrive at a "country pub"in an R22 to pick up lunch for the mustering crew we had seen down the road. My initial thought: what rules is he breaking?

Now at mission beach my first thought' what rules is a pilot breaking if he landed on this perfect hard beach?

Why aren't i building the aircraft? the work involved in getting a CoA, new medical and renew the ASIC is a drag

Aviation seems to be a joyless exercise these days. too many negative thoughts

desertduck
30th Aug 2018, 08:05
Sunfish
Just relax and enjoy the break.

Lookleft
30th Aug 2018, 08:21
Sunfish I think your itinerary suggests that you are getting out a lot. May I respectfully suggest that it is not the getting out part you should focus on but try and close the laptop a bit more often and just enjoy the warm days and sunshine.

Duck Pilot
30th Aug 2018, 08:48
Sadly I totally agree Sunny, it easier to load the 4WD up and drive even if it is long distances if I’ve got the time. The cost to just hire a decent aircraft these days is prohibitive, let alone keeping up with renewing medicals and a flight review (IPC in my case) if you need to fork the money out of your own pocket.

Okihara
30th Aug 2018, 09:11
Hire rates are indeed quite high and that's probably got to do with the very low offer. I'm reviewing all available options in and around Melbourne for a prospective December hire and I really struggle to find aircraft other than those operated by flight schools themselves.

Duck Pilot
30th Aug 2018, 10:04
Gone are the days where you could get a 182 for $130 an hour tacho! VH-EKF was an oldie but a goodie, the owner was a good bloke too!!!!!!!

Or beautiful old VH-ECY was good bang for the buck, no good for the scan as the instruments were everywhere🤡🤡🤡

Think ECY was $150 an hour last time I hired it in about 1992, not bad for a twin.

Judd
30th Aug 2018, 12:20
Think ECY was $150 an hour last time I hired it in about 1992, not bad for a twin
Was that the old Apache from Essendon? The one where the door used to come open when airborne causing porpoising because of disturbed airflow over the elevators? I used an elastic band tied over the door handle to stop it from unlocking in flight.
The owner had a short fuse and could be a crabby bloke if you wrote up the MR
Yeah - not bad for a twin..

73qanda
31st Aug 2018, 02:59
Sunny, how many years until you’re gone? 10? 20? 30? Whatever the number it will go in a flash and the regulatory system in Australia will be doing whatever it’s doing regardless of what you have thought/ posted online/ done. It sucks but don’t let it sneak into the 4wd and catch a free ride to Port Douglas, it’ll make you less interesting and less fun to be around. Replace every negative aviation related thought with one about something cool you’ve seen or will see on your trip. I hope you have a good time.
Kind Regards,
Dr Happy

Squawk7700
31st Aug 2018, 04:06
Why aren't i building the aircraft? the work involved in getting a CoA, new medical and renew the ASIC is a drag

Those are trivial items. ASIC is a piece of cake, medical is a trip to the DAME on your next visit to the Big smoke and the CofA is a couple of forms and phone calls.

Your heart was never truly in this aircraft build right from the start.

aroa
31st Aug 2018, 04:50
Sunny depress not.. Finish yr machine ...whenever. It will be a proud achievement ...and you can go flying and enjoy it....in spite of CAsA, not because of CAsA.

Your moniker gives a clue to your get out more need...SUN , as in the chasing of
Very good wx up here at the moment altho 'chilly ' mornings on the Tablelands. Warming up to give a hint of summer to come from now on Enjoy.
FISH, as in a very relaxing pastime at the beach, lagoon or river Doesnt matter if you just drown bait, time to unwind and contemplate nature is therapy enough. Enjoy.
At age, remember , most of our runway is well behind us and we all know the outcome, which can be all too soon. Complete yr bird and enjoy the ride.
Enjoy FNQ Drive safe.

uncle8
31st Aug 2018, 12:18
Sunfish,
You don't need an ASIC to enjoy flying.