PDA

View Full Version : Refuel Fire

MightyGem
29th Aug 2018, 20:23
Found this from a few years ago via Facebook. Wonder what the explosion in the cabin was that set it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITYHDfc6mk&frags=pl%2Cwn

I originally put a link in to the Facebook page. It worked in Preview but didn't show when I posted it. Why?

krypton_john
30th Aug 2018, 02:55
Bloody hell, not going to put that out with the cockpit extinguisher.

Ascend Charlie
30th Aug 2018, 07:27
Filling an internal tank in the cargo hold?

One flash, and you're ash...

SASless
30th Aug 2018, 14:52
Another one bites the dust!

Even with the Fire Truck standing by....nothing could be done to save the aircraft or fuel bowser!

minigundiplomat
31st Aug 2018, 03:02
Having worked with Russian crews, a cigarette in the corner of the mouth whilst plugged into the bowser is not outside the bounds of possibility.

OvertHawk
31st Aug 2018, 07:58
Perhaps a blocked tank vent that caused the tank to rupture during pressure refuelling (would explain the concussion at the beginning of the event) - cue lots of fuel vapour looking for an ignition source.

rotorfan
1st Sep 2018, 05:55
Impressive how that MR blade continued sticking up in the midst of the inferno. That's Russian sturdy. I want the head and blades fitted to anything I fly.

Non-PC Plod
1st Sep 2018, 07:44
Not so impressive: Fire crew.
Just what exactly was the purpose of having a fire truck present for the refuelling? It appeared to drive up, 1 guy got out and started to roll out a hose. Pause.....drive off.

meleagertoo
1st Sep 2018, 09:23
Just what exactly was the purpose of having a fire truck present for the refuelling? It appeared to drive up, 1 guy got out and started to roll out a hose. Pause.....drive off.

What should they have done? They reacted very quickly before realising they weren't in the best position and a hose wasn't going to help. They might just have well have used the cockpit fire extinguisher for all the difference it would have made. That fire was unfightable and spreading fast, I think they realised it and pulled back to an upwind position and began work from there, it looks like foam was coming onto the fire from out of shot to the left eventually, there may well have been several of them by that stage. The fire truck that drove away was probably empty/useless with no monitor by then. They may have being protectng other aircraft out of shot. We don't know.

I wonder what the fuel was? Wide-cut gasoline? Jet fuel doesn't usually blevy and blaze like that.

What I don't find so impressive is the refueller who surely didn't turn the pump off after the fire started, I reckon that bowser was pumping fuel right into the middle of it for much of the event. Did he have pressure on even as he connected the hose? The initial fireball seems concurrent with him connecting the hose, he certainly didn't go back to the bowser to turn the flow on.

OvertHawk
1st Sep 2018, 11:35

The only thing that would have made a difference to this event was a modern airport appliance with a foam monitor and an armoured windscreen. If that had been standing by in the same location then perhaps it could have intervened quickly enough to have made a difference but the appliance in this video without a monitor was never going to achieve anything - I'm surprised they did not bail out more quickly (especially since they did not appear to be dressed for the occasion!)

Non-PC Plod
1st Sep 2018, 18:34
What should they have done? They reacted very quickly before realising they weren't in the best position and a hose wasn't going to help. They might just have well have used the cockpit fire extinguisher for all the difference it would have made. That fire was unfightable and spreading fast, I think they realised it and pulled back to an upwind position and began work from there, it looks like foam was coming onto the fire from out of shot to the left eventually, there may well have been several of them by that stage. The fire truck that drove away was probably empty/useless with no monitor by then. They may have being protectng other aircraft out of shot. We don't know.

I wonder what the fuel was? Wide-cut gasoline? Jet fuel doesn't usually blevy and blaze like that.

What I don't find so impressive is the refueller who surely didn't turn the pump off after the fire started, I reckon that bowser was pumping fuel right into the middle of it for much of the event. Did he have pressure on even as he connected the hose? The initial fireball seems concurrent with him connecting the hose, he certainly didn't go back to the bowser to turn the flow on.

The appliance & crew were clearly not fit for purpose. They were unable to do anything to contain the fire. So not much point in them being there.