PDA

View Full Version : Dash-8 performance

Genghis the Engineer
28th Aug 2018, 14:40
Could anybody possibly help me out with access to a Dash-8 manual; specifically I want to run some numbers for field performance.

Doesn't matter much to me what variant, as it's for a research project and I just want to compare performance with some changing surface conditions but the same aeroplane for a research paper - the main thing is that I need to be able to run the numbers and cite my source reliably.

G

Piece of Cake
30th Aug 2018, 06:03
I used to fly the Dash-8 Q400 and still have the AOM, let me know what you need and I can try and get the info at the weekend. Could possibly get the Q300 but not til next week.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Aug 2018, 07:38
Q400 would be absolutely perfect.

What would be fantastically good would be a scan of the field performance pages and the document reference and amendment state.

If you prefer to switch to email, boffin at engineer dot com will get me.

G

aerolearner
31st Aug 2018, 11:58
While you wait for the AOM, have you perhaps had a look at what is publicly available on the Airport Planning Manuals?
https://eservices.aero.bombardier.com/wps/portal/eServices/Public/AirportEmergencyPublication/
However, I couldn't find the correction charts for rwy slope or wind, which I understand could be exactly the focus of your research.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2018, 13:22
Wind and temperature are the focus of the research unfortunately, with slope a player, but clearly tends not to change at the same airport. Thanks nonetheless aero.

(If you're interested - looking at climate change data, and showing the changes with time in available payload on "critical" (short, usually around tourist destination) airports. Some places we're seeing temperatures climbing over ½°C/decade and mean headwinds dropping over 2kts per decade. Small numbers day-to-day, but cumulatively quite large over the life of an aeroplane like the Dash-8 or 737 in terms of average useable payload , or alternatively shortest useable runway at MTOW.)

Anyhow Piece is a scholar and a gentleman who sent me the G400 planning charts, which I'm about to start having fun with.

G

rog747
31st Aug 2018, 13:33
The Austrians have been for years (since their Dash 7 days) flying Dash a/c into, and out of tiny Greek island airports such as Paros (even the old PAS airport) Naxos and Lemnos, plus in the winter the Alpine Chambery and Courchevel.
The weather and performance information for these Ops would be intriguing reading?

Flybe send their Q400's regularly to Corsica, Alicante, the Balearics, and sometimes as far as Dubrovnik.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2018, 14:53
Naxos does indeed seem to be a particularly interesting case study!

G

aerolearner
31st Aug 2018, 22:05
Thanks for the details. It seems a very promising subject for a research paper.
Also Elba Island (LIRJ) used to host Dash 8 operations during the summer season.

Escape Path
1st Sep 2018, 01:15
I have Q200 manuals in case you're interested. Just let me know!