PDA

View Full Version : GAR / customs hours

pericynthion1
28th Aug 2018, 11:34
I would like to fly my Lancair from Vagar EKVG (non-EU) to Exeter EGTE on Friday, arriving around 21:00 local. The AIP lists customs hours as Mon-Fri 0645-2000, with prior notice required by 1600 on the previous day. The latest GAR instructions list EGTE as being "Customs & Excise Designated" and "Police Designated" but not "Certificate of Agreement" nor "Immigration Designated".

I am a British citizen and would be the only one on board for this private, non-commercial flight. Do I have any option for arriving outside of the published customs hours? From my limited understanding it appears not, so I'll have to stop somewhere else enroute to clear customs.

I spoke to Exeter and they couldn't tell me anything more than was in the AIP.

Thanks for any advice (including good customs stops in western GB or eastern NI)

Romeo Tango
29th Aug 2018, 09:41
As I understand it, as far as customs/immigration is concerned, there is no reason why you cannot roll up at Exeter from abroad anytime the place is open as long as you have filled in GAR form and given the appropriate amount of warning dependant on where you have come from. I do that at my private strip, I don't see why an airport should be different.
All the customs hours stuff applies (in the UK) if you arrive unannounced and/or (?) if you are commercial/scheduled with lots of pax.

chevvron
29th Aug 2018, 10:58
If you have given the appropriate notice via a GAR, it's up to customs/UKBF whether they bother to attend. If you have a UK passport, I see no problem; it's only if you're travelling on a non EU passport you might get a 'visit'..

patowalker
29th Aug 2018, 20:28
24 hours notice required if coming from outside the EU.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/724906/GAR_Instructions_July_2018.pdf#page4

Jonzarno
30th Aug 2018, 08:14
Not GAR related but, if you are flying in to Exeter, check the opening hours as their out of hours charges are eye-watering!

i flew in there a few weeks ago on a Sunday and made it one minute before the close. When I paid my landing fee the next day, I was told that they had been told to collect £720 from a PA 28 that had landed 20 minutes later..... :ooh:

mikehallam
30th Aug 2018, 10:39
So for those of us very interested in your completing the USA/UK flight, what's your timing and route plan as of today H ?
mikehallam

Not GAR related but, if you are flying in to Exeter, check the opening hours as their out of hours charges are eye-watering!

i flew in there a few weeks ago on a Sunday and made it one minute before the close. When I paid my landing fee the next day, I was told that they had been told to collect £720 from a PA 28 that had landed 20 minutes later..... :ooh:

pericynthion1
2nd Sep 2018, 00:20
So for those of us very interested in your completing the USA/UK flight, what's your timing and route plan as of today H ?
mikehallam

FedEx lost my propeller somewhere in Denmark, by the time they find it again (allegedly Tuesday) I'll need to be heading back west so I don't think I'm going to make it to British soil under my own steam this time around. Will keep you apprised.