PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient education for Commercial Airline Pilot?

BFZ
28th Aug 2018, 09:10
Hi all,
I'm 21 years old from Darwin, Northern Territory.

Completed year 11, attended half of year 12 but (long story short) ''dropped'' out due to parents poor financial situation which led to a divorce and a depressed child (myself).
I regret not completing year 12 as it seems to be a major requirement.
I got a Certification III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration (Apparently this is the same qualification as completing year 12 if not greater?)

I've given up my hobby in Cars/Motorsport for Aviation which has given me enough funds to get myself half way through my Commercial Pilot Licence.
I'm currently half way into my RPL as of now.

My point is;
The more I look into becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot for Qantas/Jetstar the more anxious I get due to not completing High School.
Is year 12 essential if so what can I do about it to get where I want to be? Obviously I can't just go back to school?
Am I wasting my time and money? My long term goal is to fly wide-body aircraft.

Stikman
28th Aug 2018, 11:13
https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/603657-physics-maths-english-bridging-courses-qantas.html

Mach E Avelli
28th Aug 2018, 11:19
BFZ , having a technical trade qualification is far superior to an extra year or two of high school.
QF and its subsidiaries may well currently insist on year 12, which is a HR strategy to reduce their workload by culling applicants.
You will find that recruitment criteria goalposts move with supply and demand. We are supposedly facing a pilot shortage, so they will change their tune.
If you are the ‘right stuff’ there are more enlightened airlines out there where you would be welcome.
I advise everyone doing a CPL to knock over the ATPL theory as a priority, because that shows necessary academic ability and is a valid pre requisite to employment in an airline.
Oh, yes, never ever admit to anyone that you were a depressed child! Even in jest. Least of all a CASA medical examiner.
Also, caveat emptor, the shortage today could be a glut five years from now. Five year weather predictions would be about as reliable as the certainty of a flying job with Qantas five years from now. Qantas may not even exist in another five years. Pan Am, Sabena, Swissair, Ansett, get my drift?

Flying Bear
28th Aug 2018, 11:50
As above - I think Mach E has nailed it.

As you are just starting out on your journey, it might be worth not discounting the other opportunities within aviation that you aren’t even aware of yet... in my experience, a wide variety of flying experience and lots of hours in the logbook go a long way to mitigate other alleged shortcomings. Being in Darwin, you are well placed to at least make a start in the industry and filling that logbook - gaining good flying experience.

Apart from other avenues in aviation, there may not be such restrictions on airline / widebody flying overseas - I’ll leave others to elaborate as required - and although the Aussie carriers may seem like the only option because that’s all you see in Darwin, they are all relative minnows in the sea of aviation worldwide.

Don’t stress too much, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a percentage of airline pilots out there without the HSC...

Okihara
28th Aug 2018, 12:40
Sorry to read what you've been through. But here's what just came out:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45330440

Full throttle and cheer up :8

Ejector
28th Aug 2018, 14:27
Oh, yes, never ever admit to anyone that you were a depressed child! Even in jest. Least of all a CASA medical examiner.

Go for it, just be prepared to do a bit of study at TAFE or Uni at some point to tick some boxes.

AerocatS2A
28th Aug 2018, 22:31
1. QF dropped their year 12 requirements recently.
2. I've done fine without good year 12 results (I did finish, but it was pretty bad).
3. If you really want to fly then just do it.

Judd
29th Aug 2018, 00:29
I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a percentage of airline pilots out there without the HSC...
Whoops! My cover blown. In 1951, I got into the RAAF as a trainee pilot without having the (then) Intermediate Certificate. You needed the Australian Intermediate Certificate then as the minimum education qualification to apply to join the RAAF as a pilot. My very understanding Head Master in England sent me a certification that I was a good boy and would be sorely missed etc. He added that I had studied all the usual subjects of Maths, English and Physics but had left England for Australia before completing 5th Form (Equivalent I suppose to Australian Intermediate). However, he didn't say I had passed those subjects but only that I had studied them. The RAAF Interview board were kind and overlooked that and offered me the gig. I never looked back after that lucky break into aviation. I didn't pay a cent to learn to fly.

neville_nobody
29th Aug 2018, 00:40
At a airline level you are competing with people who will have Degrees and Post Graduate level qualifications who will have the same amount of flying experience as you which is going to be marked against you. Then you have all the ex military types on top of that as well, who all seem to have 1 or 2 degrees. I would suggest doing the required bridging courses and if asked tell them what happened. You had to quit Year 12 due to financial considerations, which will be plus in your column.

Additional to that I would suggest that understanding jet aircraft related theory properly requires a basic understanding of Calculus, Algebra and Physics as a necessity.

Obscured by clouds
29th Aug 2018, 01:28
BFZ, don’t stress yourself about the HSC requirements. As has been mentioned they are really only used as a culling tool by HR at the initial application stage. Your enthusiasm and humility come through in your post and these attributes will stand you in good stead as you get into aviation professionally.
I didn’t get HSC and I’ve had my jet command for a number of years now. I’m aware of colleagues who are in the same boat. The industry is going through a phase of huge recruitment so I would strongly suggest you get stuck into it, keep racking up the hours and stay on task. Along the way keep smiling, be humble and enjoy it. Once you get into airline flying - and I’m quite sure you will - you’ll be doing it for a long time so enjoy this stage of your career.
I wish you all the very best.

ADawg
29th Aug 2018, 01:54
BFZ, some of the most professional pilots I have flown with never completed their HSC - they just did a bridging course. Some of them fly for the airlines you have mentioned.
You're in a great spot being 21, living in Darwin, and having some skills to fall back on and supplement you're income.
Go and get what you want!

Global Aviator
29th Aug 2018, 03:01
Tried to PM you but full.

What others have said yep.

Have you looked at GA in Darwin and also the companies that fly around fixing aircon etc?

Capn Bloggs
29th Aug 2018, 03:11
Additional to that I would suggest that understanding jet aircraft related theory properly requires a basic understanding of Calculus, Algebra and Physics as a necessity.
Neville, apart from proving one has a brain that is reasonable and can actually think, calculus or algebra have have nothing to do with jets, in my experience. Physics, to a certain extent, yes. Now if you had said geometry and trigonometry, I would have not disagreed with you. Crosswinds/downwinds oops tailwinds weight/thrust vectors and all that!:ok:

BFZ, if you could squeeze in a couple of degrees in underwater basketweaving, that would help. :}

Lookleft
29th Aug 2018, 08:31
I have seen an old version of the Qantas flying manual where it stated that to calculate descent a knowledge of the 3 times table would be useful! Not much calculus needed.

John_Reid
6th Sep 2018, 17:36
Lot of good replies and advice..

Do not let it deter you!! If you have the drive and determination you will make it. Do not give up on your goal. That was the situation in my day and can't see a lot has changed a lot since since then.

I've known people drop out of flying with a degree. One had 2 degrees and was incapable of "changing a light bulb". You cannot learn or buy, drive and ability, so you have to be born with it. Which begs the question, how many people with great or exceptional flying skills, for eg., been rejected because they don't possess a deg?? Is this the best method of choosing you're best people. I say no. RFC, WW1 "public school", was a requirement to be a knight of the sky. Seems we haven't progressed much since then have we??

Do your ATPL theory at the first opportunity, as advised above. It will have to be completed at some stage.

Okihara
6th Sep 2018, 22:25
You cannot learn or buy, drive and ability, so you have to be born with it
That's not true. With sufficient efforts you can learn almost anything. How much effort is needed might be determined by innate predispositions though. And still: having an innate ability to become a great pilot alone won't necessarily make one out of you either.

How should OP read/interpret your post if he/she currently has average (likely so) or inferior (equally as likely as superior) flying skills and simultaneously no degree under the belt?

cost neutral
8th Sep 2018, 05:26
BFZ
I was once in your shoes. After leaving high school I took up a trade but wanted to fly. As I progressed through my apprenticeship I started doing lessons exams etc so when I finished my time I had a fresh CPL.
Went and did an instructor rating and got my first flying job.
I then realized that having not done higher maths and physics I was probably not going to get to the airlines.
How wrong i was, a mate told me about Steve Holdings Aviation maths and physics courses at Qld Uni.
I went and did both and afterwards I applied and had interviews with all the airlines I applied for.
Not one asked me why I hadn't done the subjects at High school because honestly I think they can see that if you've got off your behind and gone and done what you needed then you have initiative and drive . Speaks for itself I think.
Ive flown everything pretty much from a 152 to a 380 . Not once did maths or physics present a barrier to completing a rating that couldn't be overcome with some help from course buddies, common sense and application to the task ahead.
Go for it I say, it's all waiting for you.
You just have to decide that it's for you and go and get it !!

John_Reid
8th Sep 2018, 08:34
That's not true. With sufficient efforts you can learn almost anything. How much effort is needed might be determined by innate predispositions though. And still: having an innate ability to become a great pilot alone won't necessarily make one out of you either.<br /><br />How should OP read/interpret your post if he/she currently has average (likely so) or inferior (equally as likely as superior) flying skills and simultaneously no degree under the belt?<br /><br />

Agreed, as my choice of wording could have been better. Ability to learn would have been more appropriate.<br /><br />Let me state at the outset, I'm just an average pilot/manipulator of controls. Bought up in a poor family, left school at 15, mid 1960's, with no qualifications whatsoever. As I had the determination and drive I managed to work my way up the food chain, somewhat, along with a load of luck. Soled 16, PPL 17, CPL 19 and first flying job 20. From leaving school until first flying job was doing menial **** jobs.. ATPL(UK) 26. Took a 10 week crash course, for the 14 UK ATPL subjects, considering I had a foreign CPL.. The first week of Navigation studies was maths revision. For me it was learning. I had no additional academic training since I left school, ever. I finished up flying heavy Jets.<br /><br />I would have had to do higher education, to even get an interview with our "Flag Carrying" airline. A Degree? well you were well on your way.<br /><br />The question I ask is Why is it necessary?? Computer Jockeys, 2 a penny in an amusement arcade. Test flying yes, you need it.<br /><br />Whether one is "allowed" to take this route now is debatable, especially in Europe, as it is all about money.. I believe to enrol in an approved course. now you have to have some form of academic qualifications.<br /><br />So, to the OP, keep at it. My brief history is an attempt to encourage you. If you get "Knocked Down" pick yourself up and carry on. This is where sports at School are so important. It teaches you to take hard knocks.<br /><br />My CV is a catalogue of "what not to do" as far as the airlines are concerned but that's another story.