PDA

View Full Version : Where is crashed plane in Blue Mountains October 93 VH-JTI?

Dick Smith
28th Aug 2018, 06:56
Many will remember the sad story of the two young blokes who departed from Bankstown and disappeared in the Blue Mountains near the Kowmung River. The wreckage was found over three weeks later and the two boys had died after walking down to Christies Creek.

Does anyone know if the aircraft was recovered? Probably the only way it could be recovered would be by helicopter.

A number of bush walkers have gone to find the site but can’t find any wreckage. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

RatsoreA
28th Aug 2018, 08:14
Dick,

Give me a ring tomorrow afternoon and I’ll dig up what I’ve got.

I do remember that one well at the time too. They had survived the crash and for quite a very long time afterwards and were found separately some distance from the plane.

Keg
28th Aug 2018, 11:10
I remember the prang clearly. I'd flown a C172 IFR from CN to WOL that day. Definitely not a day to be out flying VFR as they were!\\

Very sad that they survived the prang but died from exposure/ dehydration/ hunger in the days or weeks later.

catseye
28th Aug 2018, 11:29
Dick,
have a talk to the Parkies in Blue Mountains Katoomba office. They were involved in the search.

Phase Lag
28th Aug 2018, 21:39
Dick,
PM me.

john_tullamarine
29th Aug 2018, 00:12
A sad event. One boy's maternal grandparents were life long very close friends of my parents ...

Dick Smith
29th Aug 2018, 05:23
I got some reliable information from a pilot involved that the fuselage of the plane was retrieved by the National Parks Service using a helicopter. It ended up with Noel Vinson at Bankstown. Case closed.

Thanks everyone.