PDA

View Full Version : Flight computers

hayes67
27th Aug 2018, 15:22
Just after a little advice and help please ladies and gents. I'm restarting my training and looking at flight computers. I realise I need conventional non electronic units for the exams etc, but I'm wondering what electronic FC to get? Options as I see it are the ASA CX-3 or Sporty E6-B. Maybe there are others that are better suited?
Plan is to get the PPL (H) and being realistic stay at this level, just clock the hours. It won't be used for a career (just hit 50!) but for recreational flying, plan to do around 80-100hours a year. Any help is welcome and I do need to get the regular FCs too!

Thanks again,

Chris.

Bell_ringer
28th Aug 2018, 07:19
CX3 is an excellent device. Much better than the predecessor.

aa777888
28th Aug 2018, 10:27
If you're in the States, unless things changed recently, I'm pretty sure the electronic E6B is approved for the written tests.
Not sure about the other models, never used them.
CX2 and CX3 are approved for the written tests in the US. I have a CX2, had it for years. If I was buying new I'd get a CX3. The only thing I've ever used it for is taking the written or making some flight instructor happy. With the advent of things like Foreflight and Garmin Pilot nobody bothers with such primitive flight planning tools anymore!

hayes67
28th Aug 2018, 19:03
Thanks very much, I'm in the UK and I'll grab a CX-3, been told that once everything is passed it would be time for Sky Demon or similar, much appreciated!

Thanks also to John R81, just replied, but it seems I can only have one message in my inbox, is this a newbie thing?

John R81
29th Aug 2018, 15:13
You can delete that now, and check your email

Fly safe

n5296s
29th Aug 2018, 15:29
You will no doubt need something to get through your training but don't expect it to be of any use afterwards. I have an original E6-B which I've never used since I got my first PPL. For years it sat in my flight bag, and every now and then I'd get it out to remind myself I still knew how to use it. Finally I faced the reality and it sits in my much larger bag of things I've bought for flying that I never use.

Especially flying a helicopter for recreational VFR, looking out of the window will get you everywhere (literally). You need to understand the effect of wind generally, but you don't need a computer to tell you that if your machine does 90 knots and there's a 20 knot headwind, you'd better allow a bit longer and make sure you have a bit more fuel.

It's only in the written - especially as I understand it the UK written - that you have to calculate wind-corrected heading to the nearest degree, or flight time to the nearest minute.