PDA

View Full Version : To Danny and all - Polish airmen in the RAF

Franek Grabowski
27th Aug 2018, 12:49
Gents
Some 500 Polish airmen joined the RAF post-war. I have collated a list of around 400 names but information about them is rather vague, dry ORB entries and very few memories.
I am after any recollections, anecdotes or stories, as elaborate as possible. Also any photos, log book entries or whatever documentary evidence are most welcome.
I cannot say if it will turn into a book and when, but I think the history is worth of preservation.
Thank you in advance.
Franek
https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Danny42C
27th Aug 2018, 17:13
Franek, Ta !

Top West 50
28th Aug 2018, 14:51
Are you related to SATCO Church Fenton c 1969?

langleybaston
28th Aug 2018, 17:49
If you are interested in a colourful Polish Met forecaster I can provide anecdotes. Also, there were a fair number of your countrymen at RAF Topcliffe in mid 1960s ... I have at least two names, a Flt Lt and a MPlt.

Rigga
28th Aug 2018, 19:11
Vic Strilkowski (Spelling?) Polish Chief Tech Engines at Tern Hill and Shawbury prior to 1975, when I met him.
He was also known as Stril Vicowski, and used the call for "Dat stinking eM-Dee-Rrr Macheen!" (MRD for the uninitiated)

Last time i met him was in a Birmingham Departure Lounge in October 76...I was going on my Honeymoon!

Franek Grabowski
28th Aug 2018, 23:24
No, I am sorry, but I am not related to any airman of my name, at least I am not aware of it. It is a popular name in Poland, and some made abroad, hence two pilots in Britain during WWI, one of them killed in R101 crash.
Yes, go on with any names and any stories, looking forward!
Strilkowski - I must look for similar name, as I do not find him at first glance.
Best wishes
Franek

ScouseFlyer
29th Aug 2018, 10:16
Franek
Related through marriage to my wife was Jozef Tyszko who flew with the Polish Air Force during the war,won the Military Cross I believe as a result of some deed whilst on the run in occupied Europe after being shot down,joined the RAF post war,was a graduate of the Empire Test Pilots School and finally lost his life in Sweden working as a test pilot for Cessna in 1965.
SF

sycamore
29th Aug 2018, 10:48
Scouse ,ETPS No 10 Course,1951....

ScouseFlyer
29th Aug 2018, 11:19
Sycamore
Yes thanks-by a weird twist of fate my uncle was adjutant(flying) at ETPS when it celebrated its 25th anniversary and produced a "glossy" part of which consisted of all the course photographs upto that point so have a picture.

SF

sycamore
29th Aug 2018, 13:16
SF,I was on 27/6 Course at B-D..

exMudmover
29th Aug 2018, 15:57
Franek,

Check your PMs

ExMudmover

dragartist
29th Aug 2018, 16:23
I have a book, “The Forgotten Few” Adam Zamoyski. ISBN 184884196-5 Pen and Sword. Details Polish Air Force during WW2. Must admit it was ages ago since I read it but my neighbor was very interested in the Polish contribution. He was of Indian descent.

Langley,
There was a “Mr Val”, a Polish Met man at Oakington in 70s. He used to come to Hull City away games with us. I was a teanager at the time.

langleybaston
29th Aug 2018, 16:31
My colleague was "Kas": small, very smart, very polite, punctual, meticulous .............

papa_sierra
29th Aug 2018, 17:02
Polish test pilot at RAF St Athan late sixties/early seventies, cannot remember his name. Jumped in front of my car while I was driving through camp and asked me to drive him to Barry. He wanted to put a bet on at the local bookies and the horse race was imminent. So I did and made my excuses when I got back to work.

ScouseFlyer
29th Aug 2018, 17:10
Sycamore
Was that 1968?Not got the glossy to hand at moment.If so you may well remember my uncle,Frank Watson,who is the person I mentioned.He was a flight engineer.
SF

sycamore
29th Aug 2018, 21:25
SF,yes,but I was rotary,so we don`t need a competent engineer...!!!!

ScouseFlyer
29th Aug 2018, 22:48
Sycamore
Using my great powers of deduction thought you might have been!!!
SF

Franek Grabowski
29th Aug 2018, 23:59
SF
On 28/29 August 1942 Tyszko baled out of his stricken Wellington and landed near Geetbets. He did not make contact with underground and on 2 September 1942 entered British Consulate at San Sebastian. A month later he was back in the UK, and gave a tour giving lectures on survival in enemy held territory. I recall the story as being told by one of his pals. He had unassuming look, and could easily masquerade as a Frenchman. He managed to the Spanish border in Pyrenees, and went into a queue of labour, either French or Spanish, trying to cross the border. He realised that there is a document check, but did not panic, folded a newspaper to ID format, and when against German guard, in quick motion he put the 'documents' just in front of the face of the guard, so he had to step back, and let him go. When at San Sebastian, he spend quite a while observing Spanish guards, until he realised what is the best moment, and then ran into consulate.

I know Zamoyski's book, and got some interesting stuff from the author.

Please, follow on!
Franek

Tankertrashnav
30th Aug 2018, 09:20
Our copilot on tankers was John Grzybowski (thus spelt) - an alternative spelling of your name I assume Franek. His father had also been an RAF pilot but I have no details I'm afraid. John was unfortunately killed when instructing on Gnats at Valley.

Mogwi
30th Aug 2018, 12:37
Yes, John was on my Basic JP course at Leeming in 69-70. He was desperate to get to FJ but just scraped every check and was eventually sent to Varsitys. After one tour he was delighted to be given Gnat QFI but was wiped out when his stude pulled too hard around finals at Shawbury, on a practice div. A great shame, as he was one of the most pleasant and enthusiastic guys I have ever met.

His father was ATC at Topcliffe whilst we were at Leeming and hosted many a good PU during the course.

mog

ImageGear
30th Aug 2018, 12:49
My first tour overseas was El Adem in 1968, all sand and spiders. Had the daughter of Sqn Ldr Waselewski on my Albacore crew for a while during the Summer Hols, I think he may have been ATC and used to frequent the sailing club bar. My next posting was Thorney Island, walked into the sailing club and yes, it was also his next posting. :ok:

IG

Franek Grabowski
30th Aug 2018, 15:48
John Grzybowski was a son of Leszek Grzybowski, a pre war fighter pilot, who following the Polish Campaign ended up in the Soviet Union but fortunately survived. He later flew Mustangs in the PAF. There were few other sons of Polish pilots in the RAF, Michael Drybanski and Stefan Karwowski spring to my mind. Some were refused RAF service though, as having family behind the Iron Curtain.

Sqn Leader Wasilewski was Stanisław. He passed away in Argentina in 1988.

thegypsy
31st Aug 2018, 07:40
My father who was an Instructor on Oxfords at RAF South Cerney during WW11 until Mid 1942 had a young Polish Pilot by name of F/Sgt Tadeusz Waclaw Niezrecki who wrote a nice letter when he left S Cerney thanking him for looking after him so well.

This Polish Pilot survived the war and continued in the RAF ending up a Flt Lt . He was involved in a crash in 27/28 April 1942 as co pilot of a Wellington from 301 Squadron. This report was signed by the CO one S/Ldr Krzystyniak. Also in 16 Jan 1942 departing RAF Hemswell with P/O Liska as Captain they crash landed due to lack of Oxygen near Scunthorpe.

Waclaw NIEZRECKI was a Master Pilot in 1952 No 782373 and listed with AFC in London Gazette. I gave his original letter to my father to the RAF Ingham Heritage Centre He also received the DFM . He died 10th June1982. He also received one of the highest Polish Medals VM???

Pontius Navigator
31st Aug 2018, 07:42
Some were refused RAF service though, as having family behind the Iron Curtain..

I think those Poles in the RAF were refused high security clearance for that reason. I know a Vulcan copilot was warned against marrying his Yugoslav fiance as he would lose his clearance and be posted away. This might have hastened his decision as I think he went to Gnats - tough call :)​​​​​

kenparry
31st Aug 2018, 07:59
My first jet instructor, at Leeming 1961-62, was Flt Lt Pete (Piotr?) Bobrowski. We never found out his detailed story, but were led to understand that he had been in the Polish Air Force pre-1939. He had a chestful of RAF WW2 ribbons. After Leeming I never saw him again, but I believe he ended up as an Ops Officer at Brize in the late 70s and died while serving there. I have checked the list of BoB pilots, and he is not shown there. I have fond memories of "Bobs".

ian16th
31st Aug 2018, 09:49
I think those Poles in the RAF were refused high security clearance for that reason. I know a Vulcan copilot was warned against marrying his Yugoslav fiance as he would lose his clearance and be posted away. This might have hastened his decision as I think he went to Gnats - tough call :)​​​​​

It isn't just aircrew, Ricardian & I are aware of a case of a RAF Telegraphist with a high security clearance. While in RAF Germany he met & married a refugee from East Germany, this severely curtailed of his RAF career.

Tankertrashnav
31st Aug 2018, 09:54
Franek and Mogwi - thanks for the further info on John Grzybowski. As you said, a very pleasant chap. He impressed us one day on the squadron when he told us he had just been to Malvern to get measured up for the Morgan he had ordered, as each one was hand built to order. The Morgan duly arrived and my abiding memory of him is driving around Marham in his new dark blue beauty.

Old-Duffer
31st Aug 2018, 18:12
Post 14. The TP at St Athan in the early 1960s was Jan Jankiwicz.

He may have jumped in front of your car papa sierra but he borrowed money from me, which I was stupid enough to loan him. Retrieving same took sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Duffer

Franek Grabowski
31st Aug 2018, 21:14
thegypsy
Wacław 'Nick' Niezręcki, he flew SD Halifaxes during the war, later RPAF, returned to the UK and joined RAF. At some point flew Canberras. He delivered Lancaster PA474 to BBMF, as he was found to have most recent experience on Lancasters in the RAF from a few years back, ignoring Shackleton jocks!

kenparry
Piotr Bobrowski ex-No 306 Sqn Mustang pilot. He passed away in 1973 at RAF Brize Norton, indeed. His logs are at TNA, but I have not copied them, as yet.
Any stories to share?

Old-Duffer
A tall man? Then he is living in London, following retirement from RAF, he spend quite a few years in the Gulf, flying for local AFs as VIP pilot, ending his career in 1988.

Pontius Navigator/ian16th
I am really not sure, as some were allowed, and some not, and I mean children living in the UK for their whole life.
There were Poles in really high positions in the RAF, off hand I recall one flying Vulcans on 230 OCU, another one, as a civilian worked on the initial project of Vulcan, doing an essential work as aerodynamicist. One, Edward Kwolek, as I recall was a senior officer in RAF counterintelligence in ME, much to his satisfaction.

Warmtoast
1st Sep 2018, 15:06
Franek

FWIW a new film "Hurricane (Squadron 303)" is premiered here next week.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/550x800/image3_zpswvh8rkek_4f9d8ba314c5e8e90d0c5083da086a53fd7df3dc. jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/558x800/image2_zpsoclkfzmu_e2de8e41e6084458ad30a2400d80b0727d596a4b. jpg

As the publicity blurb says:
Hurricane (Squadron 303) is the story of a group of brave Poles who fought in the skies over England in WW2, not just to keep Great Britain free from the Nazis, but also to keep alive the very idea of their own country, which had existed in its modern form for barely twenty years before it was crushed between the opposing jaws of Germany and Russia. Equipped with the almost-obsolete Hurricane and (with some initial reluctance) given RAF blue uniforms, while they fought, Poland lived.
1940. Great Britain stands alone in Europe against the growing stain of the rampant Nazi empire, its nervous inhabitants wondering what the future holds. But a handful of people on this beleaguered island know only too well what one possible future might hold. They have seen Warsaw burn, Poland crumble, France capitulate. Men like Jan Zumbach, Witold Urbanowicz, Miroslaw Feric and Tolo Lokuciewski, pilots of the Polish Air Force, who know that if the Luftwaffe isn't stopped, then Poland, Holland and France were just Hitler's hors d'oeuvres. So they are ready to fight, if they are given the planes. The problem is the British don't trust 'the bloody Poles'. And so the pilots, strangers in what seems a very strange land indeed, will over the course of a few months have to fight several wars at once - with the xenophobia of the authorities and the public, with the language, the unfamiliar Hurricane fighters, with the battle-hardened Luftwaffe. But once they are reluctantly made operational by the RAF, the Polish fighters show what they can do, out-gunning the enemy and out-scoring their allies. The once hostile British fete the Polish flyers as heroes - saviours, even. Now, though, the Poles have a fresh enemy - themselves, as nerves and fatigue take a terrible toll on men pushed to the limit by constant aerial warfare, fighting to save their own country above a foreign land. Not all will make it. Not all friendships will survive. And when it's over, Jan Zumbach will contemplate a pyrrhic victory, as Poland is handed over to Stalin's puppets.

It's not clear if the names mentioned are real or fictional.

...and a bit from IMDb here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7515456/mediaviewer/rm2307935488

WT

Blacksheep
2nd Sep 2018, 15:48
I was locking up our hangar at Northolt one summer’s evening when Joe Kmiecek was locking up the 207 Sqn Office. “Beautiful evening isn’t Sir” I ventured. “Yes” he agreed and “Look at them!’ Gesturing towards the two Luftwaffe transports on South Side, displaying the black and white crosses. “What the hell was it all about, eh?” And he got on his moped and rode off to the Mess. The last word on WW2 couldn’t be better said.

Franek Grabowski
2nd Sep 2018, 17:14
WT
Yes, the names are real, but I do not know how they are portrayed in the film. Actually, there are two films on 303 premiered this summer, one English and one Polish. Not sure if keen to see them though!

Blacksheep
Joe Kmiecik!

MPN11
2nd Sep 2018, 17:59
Your fault, Franek, for having such complicated names and pronunciation!! :)

Do you have anything as simple as John Smith? ;)

Yellow Sun
2nd Sep 2018, 18:28
Your fault, Franek, for having such complicated names and pronunciation!! :)

Do you have anything as simple as John Smith? ;)

How about “Mike Manson” aka Mickey Mouse? Catering Officer at Gaydon and Luqa in the late 1960s.

if you want to learn a little more about him, read Eric Williams’ “The Wooden Horse”.

YS

Pontius Navigator
2nd Sep 2018, 19:30
Indeed it is possible I flew with more than the three I listed if they used different names.

DX Wombat
2nd Sep 2018, 19:53
I don't know if this is of any use to you. The relevant part is just above the section marked "Industry". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley,_North_Yorkshire

Bill Macgillivray
2nd Sep 2018, 19:56
Flt. Lt. "Rusty" (Rostarg?) "Kennedy"?. WW2 pilot but Air Traffic at Linton when he was my next door neighbour in OMQ's at Dishforth. This was about 1967 - 1969. A real gentleman married to a great English lady (who ,I am ashamed to admit, name escapes me!) When he retired they ran the shop/post office in Knaresborough. I remember (Vaguely!!!) many happy nights. A great character and excellent ATCO. Would love to know if my "hazy" memories trigger any others on this post?

Bill

Franek Grabowski
2nd Sep 2018, 21:23
John Smith is Jan Kowal, pronunced Yan Koval. How about Featherstonehaugh, Woolfardisworthy or Wriothesley?

Mike Manson aka Michał Maciejowski, one of the few. I am in touch with his daughter, though have not heard for a while. Will check the book, if I have not that already. He did some flying prior to catering career.

Rusty Kennedy does not appear on my list, but if he changed his name, I could miss him. I have Rokosz, but I think he was not the man.

BEagle
3rd Sep 2018, 07:12
Franek wrote: There were few other sons of Polish pilots in the RAF, Michael Drybanski and Stefan Karwowski spring to my mind.

Mike Drybanski was in the Senior Entry at RAFC when I arrived on the Junior Entry in 1968. One of the nicest of those who got us into shape during 'crowing', he was also an accomplished glider pilot.

Sadly killed when his SOAF Strikemaster was shot down in 1973.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Sep 2018, 08:07
There was a provost officer, Brezinski, circa 1976 at Kinloss. Link?

Franek Grabowski
3rd Sep 2018, 11:15
Brzeziński should be the proper spelling, but I do not find an obvious candidate. It is a popular name. What age he was approximatelly?

Yellow Sun
3rd Sep 2018, 16:14
John Walencowicz, Flight Commander 22 Sqn at Leuchars late 1960s. A master of the tactical inability to understand English !

YS

BEagle
3rd Sep 2018, 16:16
Repeat please! ;)

lasernigel
3rd Sep 2018, 18:27
Franek the confusing thing about Tad Turek, is all the references to him being a teacher in Warrington. Looking at the younger pictures of him, his curly hair stands out as I remember it. So there are no mentions of him as OC of 2354 ATC sqn that was on Grange park in Blackpool. Wouldn't have thought he would have commuted in those days and bring his son John, who I think did go to Blackpool Grammar school.

airsound
4th Sep 2018, 13:21
My first squadron tour, 24 at Colerne, on Hastings, 1962-65. Delightful Polish ops officer called Frank Krecji. Spoken English wasn't one of Frank's strong points (obviously why they made him an ops offr). One of his great talents was portrait photography, and, indeed, I still have a large picture of a mustachioed Fg Off Airsound, looking mildly steely in barathea battledress (remember them?) - complete with suitably battered SD hat, which I think lived in a flying boot overnight. Anyway, Frank's very elegant signature adorns the picture, and I still remember him fondly.

Another thing I remember was his favourite rallying call when out on the razzle - "More beer and bigger voomin". I'm not sure that Frank would have taken kindly to PC.

Bless

airsound

Franek Grabowski
5th Sep 2018, 22:07
YS
Jan Walentowicz, ex-307 & 304 Sqn. Passed away in 2011. Do you have any anecdotes on him?

Airsound
František Krejčí was a Czech pilot. Pointed this out to my Czech pal.

Nigel
I wonder if he was doing his duties as a reserve officer? I would need to locate his son, then, I guess he would know. I find one John Turek in Leeds, but not sure if the one.

airsound
6th Sep 2018, 13:11
Thanks, Franek. I apologise both to Poland and to the Czech Republic for misplacing Frank! it's interesting that his name was really Frantisek (can't do the accent!) - because on a recent visit to Prague/Praha, I spent some time talking with the Czechs about one of our - and their - heroes, Josef Frantisek.

airsound

Kemble Pitts
6th Sep 2018, 19:55
My uncle, Pilot Officer Wladyslaw Liber, was undergoing pilot training at Carlisle between August 1941 and December 1941. Magisters and Oxfords and was getting 'Average' ratings (I have his log-book). It then just stopped, I believe that he failed a medical. I'm told that he then went on to be an engineering officer for the reminder of the war.

I don't know how much flying he'd done before arriving in England but I have a photograph of my father (Polish Naval officer), Wladek (Polish AF officer) and their older brother (Polish cavalry officer) where Wladek is sporting polish pilot's wings on his collar/lapel.

Not sure how much help that is to your quest but I'd be interested to know more of his story.

old,not bold
6th Sep 2018, 20:50
One of the most colourful characters at Sleap in the early '60s was Adam Wojda, an ex-RAF Polish pilot. A great character, he came to my wedding in 1969. He was frequently grounded, on one occasion for showing me how to fly circuits with a neat little stall turn at each end of the downwind leg "to please these pedants who want square circuits". He also taught me - in an Auster - how to do a steep full-flap fish-tailing final approach (ie side-slipping alternately left and right down to about 50ft) so that you could see the runway ahead. I visited the club many years later to find him propped up on the bar, flying days over, it seems. It was a bit sad. I never did know about his RAF career; I imagine it was fighters but that's all I know. He did not talk about it. He had only a passing acquaintance with discipline, a Polish characteristic that's to be admired. (I can say that as 3 of my grand-children and their Dad now have Polish passports, as their mother always has, in preparation for Brexit.)

Warmtoast
7th Sep 2018, 16:01
airsound

Your #42
his name was really Frantisek (can't do the accent!)

If you've got Windows you can.
1. Turn on the Num Lock key on your keyboard
2. Then while pressing the ALT key type in 0154 on the keyboard.
3. This gives you: š
...and that's it - so you can have František!

WT

Franek Grabowski
7th Sep 2018, 16:19
airsound
Sure, really no problem, and great that his history surfaced. There were also few RYAF airmen in the RAF post war. Never seen any mention of them, though. As to Josef František, he had a popular first name as his surname.Interestingly, since 1939 upuntil his death he served with the Polish AF, as at some point he get into a conflict with the Czech command. There were a few Czech and Slovaks in the PAF, mostly they have transfered to CzAF during the war.

Kemble
Libera was a technical officer or engineering officer, indeed. You can apply to MoD for his full service record. Unfortunately, there will be not much more than dates and postings. No glamour in servicing aircraft. Did he have lots of photos?

old
I understand that he was Zbigniew Adam Wojda, who passed away nearly 10 years ago. If so, he was quite well known No 303 Sqn pilot with some interesting stories to tell, including design of Polish AF standard. His son John flew in Sleap as well. I understand that Adam joined Shropshire Flying Group in 1957.
Are not you afraid, that they could be expelled?

sycamore
7th Sep 2018, 18:34
Franek,bit of drift here,but have you ever heard of a Dr Theo Opatowski,who was a `performance engineer at Boscombe Down in late `60`s.,particularly helicopters.May have been aircraft engineer earlier..??

Franek Grabowski
12th Sep 2018, 16:36
Sycamore
I am not sure if Opatowski was Polish despite the name. Google search produced an Israeli of this name. There were Poles in aviation industry though, eg. Tadeusz Ciastuła in Westland. A number of Poles went to work with Piasecki, and few continued with Boeing. Tandem rotor system was designed by a Polish engineer Wiesław Stępniewski, he later worked on tiltrotors.

Allan Lupton
12th Sep 2018, 21:15
We had quite a few Poles at de Havilland's at Hatfield, most of whom had flown in the RAF and stayed on. Sadly I can't recall their names as many used anglicised or shortened forms of their real names. One was Tadeusz Szlenkier (known as Ted or Teddy) who ended up at Airbus and another was Roman Szukiewicz who was DH125/HS125 aerodynamics leader.
Someone we knew as Stan Praus was said to have been a senior designer at PZL before the war.

sycamore
13th Sep 2018, 08:45
There is a u-tube video of the PZL-11 taxiing at Radom....

Franek..thanks ,the Jewish connection was there I think...

Franek Grabowski
13th Sep 2018, 14:55
Stanisław Prauss was indeed an experienced pre-war engineer. Another was Wsiewołod 'Jaki' Jakimiuk, who designed PZL P-11, DHC Chipmunk and led projects of Beaver and Sea Otter. Later in France - Barouder, UK - Sea Venom, and I think he ended his career as a consultant for Tornado.
Here is a well known picture of Szlenkier.
https://www.rp.pl/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/RP/20120804/NEWS/308049989/AR/0/AR-308049989.jpg

jensdad
13th Sep 2018, 20:50
Hi Franek, Here's a photo I took last week at Exeter cathedral, commemorating 307 Squadron who defended the city during WW2. I am guessing they were based at Clyst Honiton (now Exeter Airport) although others might have more info. Best regards.https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/480x640/2016_06_21_001_360_copy_480x640__6084b2176ef901b658aff67bfff 81ce96c63370b.jpg

Franek Grabowski
15th Sep 2018, 21:54
Yes, they were, though the airfield is usually referred to as Exeter. The plaque commemorates four German aircraft shot down during a Baedeker raid. I think it was during the raid, one of the German aircraft attacked by a Polish crew went ablaze and was seen by many inhabitants, significantly raising their morale.
There was also a rather sad story when in 1970s the local council tried to forget about the squadron.

thegypsy
17th Sep 2018, 13:24
Franek

Thanks for updating me about Flt Lt Waclaw Nick Niezrecki who passed through my father's hands on Oxfords at RAF South Cerney in1941.I knew he survived the war and you say he ended up on Canberras. I see he died 14th June 1982 just 62 years old. As I said he wrote a very nice letter to my father when he left in August 1941 thanking him for looking after him and his Polish colleagues.

I notice in a thread on pprune a member by the name of Busta in Sept 2014 said he was at Leeming in 1970 when Flt Lt Nick was the UTP and he asked him about the Zurakowski Roll. He said he almost blew a fuse and said he did it first and it should be called the Niezrecki Roll!!!! Anybody know what that Roll is???

Sam Dodger
17th Sep 2018, 20:29
Franek

My instructor on the Jet Provost at 2FTS RAF Syerston in 1966 was Flt Lt T P Antoniak. He retired as a Sqn Ldr in 1975 aged 55 and lived in the Nottingham area

Franek Grabowski
17th Sep 2018, 22:33
Sam
He was Tadeusz Antoniak, ex-316 Sqn Mustang jock. He passed away in 2004 in Nottingham. Any stories on him? Have you got any photos of the period or can you send relevant log book pages? Thanks!

Gypsy
Well, what I know about Nick is quite limited. I hope that one day I will learn more about him and hopefully find his log. Should be an interesting read.
As to Zura roll I guess he meant Zurabatic Cartwheel. You have to go vertical in a Meteor, turn down one engine, and go full power on the other so the aircraft rotates by about 540 deg and then to recover. See the picture.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/900x1263/imgp0284_81194a2e63564120ecb701e1dc38bebc698a8add.jpg

thegypsy
18th Sep 2018, 09:34
Franek

Wow. Guess Nick was a bit of a character. He was born 9th March 1920 in Czestochowa and died in Grange-over Sands in 1982.His letter to my father was from 2 Earl St, Edgeley, Stockport after he left RAF South Cerney in Aug 1941 aged 21 years old.

I guess all Poles had to have had some previous flying experience to be taken on by the RAF?? If so wonder where he got his?

Kemble Pitts
18th Sep 2018, 20:46
Franek, the only photo I have of Wladek in uniform, on the right. Those look like Polish pilot's wings on his lapel, is that correct?. The family name is Liber but you've written Libera: was that a typo or what the PAF records show?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/329x204/libers_photo_21d10017f45db4b39b06fc75520bc74cca480320.jpeg

megan
19th Sep 2018, 02:29
I read a tale somewhere, may very well have been on Pprune. Polish bomber pilot in the RAF who had a complaint made to the CO by his crew that his piloting skills were not what they thought acceptable. CO flew with the gentleman and observed that the crew's concerns were valid. Asking the Pole about his background and training he replied "I trained as a navigator, not a pilot". Well done that man, if true it makes for a good story about the heroism of the Poles.

Franek Grabowski
19th Sep 2018, 22:59
Kemble
There might be a typo somewhere, I cannot say without primary documents. He is listed as Libera in published lists, but they could be erroneous.
As to the picture, could you make a higher density scan of it? The first man seems a sailor, the second army, there is a 2 on his epaulette, suggesting No 2 Regiment or other unit. I do not see the exact shape of the badge, though. It would be unusual place for pilot's badge.

Megan
Pre war Polish observers (navigator and bomb aimer in one) had a basic pilot training, so they could take over the plane in case of wound or death of a pilot, so perhaps there is some truth in the story.

Kemble Pitts
20th Sep 2018, 18:16
Not easy to get a better scan as its framed and on the wall ! The first man is my father Edward Liber who was a midshipman at the time and became the gunnery officer on ORP Krakowiak, second man their older brother Maciej? who was (I understand) a cavalry officer, then Wladek PAF officer.

Family name is Liber and that's also what it says on his log-book so a type has crept in somewhere.

Franek Grabowski
22nd Sep 2018, 22:51
I see. Do you have pictures and paperwork of your uncle? I guess there was some typo in the papers or the error was generated during preparing the list of 17,000 airmen.

Kemble Pitts
23rd Sep 2018, 14:42
In military terms, only his log-book.

Franek Grabowski
23rd Sep 2018, 22:59
Very interesting!

sycamore
24th Sep 2018, 09:03
Franek, another name ,possibly a M Nav. at Syerston...ZS Boyko...?

Franek Grabowski
25th Sep 2018, 00:21
Yes, Zdzisław Bojko aka Boyko, a navigator! What period he was there?

sycamore
25th Sep 2018, 09:47
Franek,,#71,would be between 1963-4,others may know either later or earlier...He was Station Nav I think..ran the Nav.Planning room..
Previous history..?

Franek Grabowski
27th Sep 2018, 13:47
Sycamore
No details on him, I guess he was either still in training or not assigned to a combat unit. The answer shall be in his personal file, but it will take a while to have a look there.

skyviewer
7th Oct 2018, 21:49
[QUOTE=Franek Grabowski;10238458]thegypsy
Wacław 'Nick' Niezręcki, he flew SD Halifaxes during the war, later RPAF, returned to the UK and joined RAF. At some point flew Canberras. He delivered Lancaster PA474 to BBMF, as he was found to have most recent experience on Lancasters in the RAF from a few years back, ignoring Shackleton jocks!

I don't know if this is the same Nick Niezrecki that I knew in the 1970's. I ran a garage near Bawtry & Nicky was one of my regular customers. He had retired from the RAF but refrained from talking about his wartime exploits. For a long time I only knew him as Nicky until he bought a rough Triumph TR2 that I had taken in part exchange, when I prepared his invoice receipt & he gave his name I asked him to write it as there was no chance that I would get it correct. He intended to renovate the car which I thought would be an impossible task. Some time later, probably a year or so, he called in the garage & invited me to his house (at Westwoodside) to have a look at the car. I went to see it & he had transformed it into a presentable classic. It was never going to be concours without spending mega money, but he had increased its value & desirability vastly.
I remember during his regular chats that he would drop into conversation that he had either just called in or was just going to see personnel at RAF Finningley. He seemed to be able to visit the base with ease as if he had served there or possibly Lindholme, I wasn't aware at the time that there were many Polish based there in the war but since then we often have a walk at Hatfield peat moor & pass the memorial to the Polish fliers who perished there when there aircraft crashed near Lindholme. Just for information, when I informed a friend of the memorial location (not easy to find) he has recently been to place a memorial wreath at the site.
Unfortunately I lost contact with Nicky when I moved from the garage in 1977 but as you can see I have many happy memories of a very likeable man.

Franek Grabowski
24th Oct 2018, 16:26
Hello
It is not a popular name, and I think he was the only person of that name in the UK, so no doubt the same person.
I do not know if Nick ever married or had any children. Certainly a very interesting character and pilot with a very interesting but forgotten career.
Franek

thegypsy
24th Oct 2018, 18:18
re Waclaw Niezrecki

This is the letter he wrote to my father after leaving RAF South Cerney in Aug 1941

Dear Flt Lt ***
Forgive me please for writing this letter to you. Because I want to say you good Baye and good luck sir.

I am very sorry I did not say when I was leaving station.
But it was impossible becaourse you have not been in flight in your office.

But by the letter I say you very much thanks to you Sir and I wish to myself to have always Flight Commander a like you Sir because really you was like father for us. I do like you very much Sir.

I will never forget this school and my Fl/C so yet ones many thanks for you Sir and for everything what did you for me Sir when I have bean in that school let God keep you always safety for whole your life and let your life it always happy. But never sad that is wishes from one of your pupils from last course.

I am very sorry if something in this letter is no so good English. With hoping you will always happy Sir.
yours sincerely Polish pupil Niezrecki Sgt Pilot

Franek Grabowski
9th Nov 2018, 15:09
Hello
Sorry for belated reply!
Great letter, and magnificent document of the era! Would not you mind sending the name of your father to my PM?
All the best
Franek

Warmtoast
9th Nov 2018, 20:05
Franek

Now you're back a small query off thread a bit but relevant to Poland in WW2.
Listening to the radio the other day I heard the "Warsaw Concerto" by Richard Addinsell being played and wondered whether this concerto was still popular today in Poland?
Originally written in 1941 for the British film 'Dangerous Moonlight' the concerto was an immediate success and is still aired regularly today, so is it still well known in Poland?
Synopsis of the film from Wiki::

Dangerous Moonlight takes place at the start of World War II and tells the story of a Polish concert pianist and composer, Stefan Radecki (Anton Walbrook) who defends his country by becoming a fighter pilot. After an air raid in Warsaw by the German army, he is discovered by an American reporter, Carol Peters (Sally Gray), practising the piano in a bombed-out building. It is the opening of his Warsaw Concerto, at this point a work in progress, and the first line he says to her is, "It is not safe to be out alone when the moon is so bright" (referring to the moonlight bombing raids). Gazing intently at Carol and disclosing "something lovely you've just given me", he introduces the lyrical second theme of the Concerto. And, indeed, this melody is always associated with Carol.[4] Like Rachmaninoff, Addinsell introduces it almost as a nocturne. Stefan speaks of the piece later in the film: "This music is you and me. It's the story of the two of us in Warsaw, of us in America, of us in … where else I don't know. That's why I can't finish it". But finish it he does. Similar to the way that Rachmaninoff returns to his second theme in his Second Piano Concerto, the "Carol" melody is used, not only to bind together the emotional strands of the drama, but to bring the Concerto to a triumphant conclusion. Throughout the film, the unfinished piece is defined in a relationship with Frédéric Chopin's "Military" Polonaise, symbolising Polish patriotism.[4] It is "completed" when the Polonaise elements are integrated with the Romantic theme, implying the fusion of romantic and patriotic love.[4]

Within the context of its story, Dangerous Moonlight is also effective in creating the impression of a larger work written and performed by the film's fictional composer and pianist. When snatches of the Concerto are first played, one character tells another, "I've got the records", and when the "premiere" is shown, we are provided with a close-up of the program, Warsaw Concerto, with three movements listed. Only one movement was actually written by Addinsell.

A performance on You Tube can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTR5ApICpmQ
Thanks
WT

JW411
10th Nov 2018, 16:18
I knew Flt Lt Lew "Lefty" Kurylowicz (ex-316 Sqn I think) quite well in the 1960s and 1970s.

Fareastdriver
13th Nov 2018, 17:48
To those that don't know, Danny, to whom this thread is partially dedicated to, passed away today.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/615374-farewell-danny42c.html

Franek Grabowski
15th Nov 2018, 00:02
WT
I am afraid that Warsaw Concerto and Dangerous Moonlight are virtually unknown in Poland. I am not sure if the film was ever shown or aired here. Such things were prohibited for quite a while, and now they are forgotten, sadly.

JW411
Kuryłowicz had a lengthy, dramatic and tragic life, as you probably know and passed through a number of squadrons, including 316, indeed. I know nothing on his post war life, but that he was in the RAF and died tragically. I would appreciate if you can add anything.

Warmtoast
15th Nov 2018, 10:48
Franek

WT
I am afraid that Warsaw Concerto and Dangerous Moonlight are virtually unknown in Poland. I am not sure if the film was ever shown or aired here. Such things were prohibited for quite a while, and now they are forgotten, sadly.

Given that the film was released in the UK during WW2 when Poland was occupied by the Germans, I'm not surprised the accompanying music doesn't have the popularity it had in the UK back then and to some degree still has now in the UK.
According to Google, Dangerous Moonlight was last broadcast by the BBC three years ago, probably in better quality than the low-low quality versions available on YouTube.

Thanks

Franek Grabowski
16th Nov 2018, 22:15
I am afraid only few people here know about the film, and well, the plot is not up to the times. Well, one of many films that vaished with its times.
Thanks for reminding!
Franek

JW411
17th Nov 2018, 16:31
Franek: I have sent you a PM. JW411.

Democritus
18th Nov 2018, 10:39
I've just come across this thread and have a couple of names for you but little else. I believe Peter Peckowski was ex-RAF and he was the Chief Helicopter Flying Instructor at British Executive Air Services at Oxford (Kidlington) Airport in the 1960's and Ted Novak (or Nowak) was also there. Ted's name is anglicised, I believe.

I knew and flew occasionally with both Peter and Ted in the 1970's. Both did a lot of film work, mainly in Alouette helicopters. The BBC series Birds' Eye View showing England from the air was one TV series they did. They are listed as other crew here: Birds' Eye View cast . (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1347407/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm)

I've found a photo of Peter at the far left in the cockpit of an Alouette during the filming of the film The Red Baron. My good friend, the late Peter Allwork is the cameraman.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1023x753/red_baron_crew_6698b882ed6edbf46e4f6398dca39a848a42c382.jpg

Peter Peckowski did my Bolkow 105 helicopter conversion at Shannon in 1973. My abiding memory of that is him constantly smoking, even during my practice single engine landings! In the photo above he even has a cigarette in his hand!

I worked with Ted in 1974 - in fact when he lost his pilot's licence on medical grounds I took over his job. Whether it was true or not I don't know but I was told he was still in the RAF when the 1955 Dambusters film was made and that he flew one of the Lancasters. I last saw Ted in Aberdeen Airport in the early 1980's when he was working as some kind of statistician on an offshore oil rig.

Sorry I haven't got anything in more depth.

Franek Grabowski
19th Nov 2018, 23:51
Hello Democritus
'Pitu' Peckowski as he was known in No 304 Sqn PAF flew Wellingtons in Coastal Command service. He later joined RAF and at some point converted onto helicopters. He flew in Borneo with some distinction, and I believe a Sycamore in the RAF Museum was flown by him at some point. I know that he went for film work, but apart of doing a lot of filming, I know little about him. He did some flying with Lynn Garrison, but I could not find contact for him.
As to Ted Novak, I am confused. I recall Joe Kmiecik and Ted Szuwalski being involved in the filming, some funny stories being around.
Best wishes
Franek

sycamore
25th Nov 2018, 11:55
Franek,in the December `Aeroplane`` magazine there is an article on the Javelin operations in the Far East,with a photo of the `Badger` caught by `Benny Baranowski.....
There is also a photo of the final 60 Sdn aircrew..BB may be 4th from right,front row,his normal pilot Colin Holman is 3rd from right...

Franek Grabowski
12th Dec 2018, 20:40
Sycamore
Many thanks and sorry for belated reply. I have been trying to obtain the journal here, but in vain. I know the Badger photo, and I know of a photo of Baranowski and Holman, but I was unable to find the original source to obtain good copies of them. Have not seen the squadron picture. Who is the author?

Warmtoast
12th Dec 2018, 23:05
Sycamore
Many thanks and sorry for belated reply. I have been trying to obtain the journal here, but in vain. I know the Badger photo, and I know of a photo of Baranowski and Holman, but I was unable to find the original source to obtain good copies of them. Have not seen the squadron picture. Who is the author?

The photo in the magazine is from the 60 Sqn Association (Copy and enlargement attached) with acknowledgments to 60 Sqn Association.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x425/image1_1280x680_zpsfaxap5w0_824fa3851cb345bc84f61443947582c1 5a22e348.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x677/image2_20de_20speckled_zpsguxcleuw_aa7998282920cc2e94a053f89 1a42f48d7a33742.jpg

Franek Grabowski
13th Dec 2018, 15:05
Thanks WT!

Ramraider
13th Dec 2018, 16:48
Franek,
Nor directly connected to the earlier postings, but perhaps you can help. I had a good friend, Stan Brezetski, who was SATCO at Luqa in Malta late-60s/early 70s. Retired with heart problems in the 70s to East Anglia. A lovely gentle man, a devout Catholic, who served at Mass on Sundays in the church at Swanton Morley. He died in the 70s and there was an extensive obituary of him in the Eastern Daily Press. Seems that he was quite an ace fighter pilot during the Battle of Britain.
Do you have any information on him? I woould love to know more about his wartime service an history.

Franek Grabowski
13th Dec 2018, 21:24
Hello
Why not connected? Yes, it is most interesting.
The man you mention was Stanisław Brzeski, he was a fighter ace, indeed, starting to score during the Polish Campaign. He was then in France, and flew combat missions during te French Campaign, but did not achieve any victories. During the Battle of Britain he was attached to No 307 Squadron under formation and equipped with Defiants. Following amutiny, he and other fighter pilots were transfered, so he get to No 303 Sqn in the last weeks of October for operational training. He then flew mostly with 317 and 303 Sqns. Shot down at the end of the war, he returned to the UK, and following disbandement of the PAF, he joined RAF.
He even has a page on English Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Brzeski
Best wishes
Franek

Ramraider
14th Dec 2018, 19:25
Franek,

Many thanks for the steer. Absolutely fascinating and I had abolutely no idea. He was, as I said, a quiet and gentle soul who never spoke of his earlier career but a good air trafficer.
Looking at post #89, Ican recognise Baron Baronowski, a prominent RAF athlete, a discus thrower, IIRC.

Ramraider

Franek Grabowski
15th Dec 2018, 18:07
Ramraider
There are plenty of stories on Brzeski, though I would have to recall some of them. He was involved in shooting down a BOAC Liberator, which was mistook for a Condor.
Do you have any photos of him as an ATC by any chance?
I think somewhere in this or another thread on the forum Baranowski was mentioned a hammer thrower, bringing some trouble to him at one occassion.
Best wishes
Franek

Fantome
15th Dec 2018, 19:04
Now that's a reference a shingle short of a full quid. . . .. .. Danny, bless his socks, would at least fill in the gaps sufficient to come up with the guts of the rounded story .. .. the seemingly near complete anecdote. Rack them brains boys.

A Lib for a Condor? . .. .. that has to be a ball-tearer of an oops .. . "sh** oh dear" tale.

You keep hearing of the trigger happy Yanks around New Guinea and the Solomons who brought down more than one allied aircraft. (What a misnomer!! .. ."FRIENDLY FIRE". My school friend's father, Ted Young from Leeton or Yanko, lost both legs on the Kokoda Trail due to a ******** officer who ordered the squad behind Ted to open fire, with no conception of the likely consequences to those lying at the ready in the front line, so to speak.)

Franek Grabowski
15th Dec 2018, 23:03
At the time the incident occurred, Liberator was a new aircraft, not known to airmen. It was painted in unusual camouflage, and arrived unannounced, without IFF, taking a short cut over occupied France. Crew did not fire verey's of the day. Attacking pilots were confused, and send the aircraft down with one burst of fire.

As to blue on blue or friendly fire, American ones are best known, especially if they involved foreign aircraft (RAF, RAAF, RNZAF, SAAF) because they were considered international incidents. Nonetheless RAF downed quite a number of own aircraft, though it looks that several such incidents were either covered up or not identified as such. It becomes obvious only now, eg. Bader case.

Fareastdriver
16th Dec 2018, 10:51
The Royal Navy gunners had a simple recognition table.:

One engine, it's a Messersmidtt; two, it's a Heinkel; three it's a Junkers; four, it's a Condor.

Franek Grabowski
16th Dec 2018, 13:42
I understand that any ground defences had a much simpler rule - if it flies it is the enemy.

Fantome
16th Dec 2018, 15:09
Hullo Franek . . .. was not Douglas Bader, when he bailed out over the Channel, brought down by a 109?

By the way, have you ever heard of Henry Millicer, who won an international design competition in 1953, a design that became the Victa Airtourer, a popular aerobatic basic trainer?

Wiki -

Henry Millicer (1915-1996) was born in Warsaw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw), Poland, the son of Kazimierz Milicer, a university professor whose family was descended from Baron Karl von Militzer. An ardent Polish patriot, Henry developed an early interest in aviation. In 1924 he won an aeromodelling competition with the prize being a flight over Warsaw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw), his home city. At age 14 he built a full-size glider and at 17 qualified as a glider pilot. After receiving a degree in aeronautical engineering he worked as a junior designer in the National Aviation Works (Państwowe Zakłady Lotnicze (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa%C5%84stwowe_Zak%C5%82ady_Lotnicze)) on the PZL.37 Łoś (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL.37_%C5%81o%C5%9B) bomber project headed by Jerzy Dąbrowski (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerzy_D%C4%85browski) and later for the RWD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWD_%28aircraft_manufacturer%29) company on the RWD-25 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWD-25) low-wing, fixed-wheels fighter project. He was also a member of the Polish Air Force (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Air_Force) reserve and flew against the Germans at the outbreak of the Second World War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World_War), winning the Polish Air Force Cross. At the defeat of Poland in September 1939, he was given the responsibility of ferrying the presidential papers in a small plane to Romania, then escaped to France and England where he flew in a Polish bomber squadron in the Royal Air Force (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force). He completed seventeen missions before being seriously wounded in a training exercise. He was awarded the Polish Military Medal for his service and became an interpreter between Polish, French and British pilots. In 1941 he married Warsaw-born Krystyna Paciorkowska, the daughter of the Polish politician Jerzy Paciorkowski.

Franek Grabowski
16th Dec 2018, 22:22
Hello
Reputedly Bader was downed by Buck Casson somewhere near St Omer in the summer of 1941, and I think two other Spitfires likely went down to friendly fire that day. Identification was a big problem, though obviously it was not discussed in public.
In regard of Milicer, yes, I have heard of him, and I recall an interview with him published in 1980s in a Polish aviation journal. As I recall he claimed that the aircraft was finished by unfair competition from Cessna, which offered dumping prices, and lack of the reaction of the Australian government, which did not introduce import taxes. I do not remember if he suggested corruption or not.

Sam Dodger
17th Dec 2018, 16:40
Boleslaw Czerwinski, graduated on number 12 course from 16 Polish Flying Training School. Flew Mustangs with 315 “Deblinsi” squadron and subsequentltly served on 309 Sqn at Coltishall and 19Sqn. He was the father of a friend of mine.

Franek Grabowski
17th Dec 2018, 21:16
I know who Bolesław Czerwiński was! I knew a number of his Squadron mates! Unfortunately, I was never able to make contact with him, my pal contacted him, and he had to call back when in Poland, but he never did. It seems he passed away shortly before. Are you sure he served on No 19 Sqn?
Franek

Sam Dodger
23rd Dec 2018, 18:07
Franek, check yourb PMs

Gapa
6th Feb 2022, 13:00
Hi. I am currently writing a book about my father. I have a lot of documentation etc from his life as a pilot

OUAQUKGF Ops
6th Feb 2022, 17:05
Tell us more.....

Prangster
11th Feb 2022, 20:52
Gents
Some 500 Polish airmen joined the RAF post-war. I have collated a list of around 400 names but information about them is rather vague, dry ORB entries and very few memories.
I am after any recollections, anecdotes or stories, as elaborate as possible. Also any photos, log book entries or whatever documentary evidence are most welcome.
I cannot say if it will turn into a book and when, but I think the history is worth of preservation.
Thank you in advance.
Franek
https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/
Franek not sure if the above org still exists there used to be a very active branch in Nottingham with many WW2 members, mostly ex Wellington crews if my memory serves me right. RAF Newton seemed to loom large in their stories. My first ATC Squadron 138 First Nottingham was swarming with their sons to the point where on church parades 'fall out out the Roman Catholics was countermanded by 138 stand still, you are all honorary c of e for this parade' therefore a plea to local media might be beneficial.

sly666
8th Nov 2022, 00:59
My first tour overseas was El Adem in 1968, all sand and spiders. Had the daughter of Sqn Ldr Waselewski on my Albacore crew for a while during the Summer Hols, I think he may have been ATC and used to frequent the sailing club bar. My next posting was Thorney Island, walked into the sailing club and yes, it was also his next posting. :ok:

IG
I stumbled across this from a google search.
My Grandfather was Stanislaw Wasilewski. He worked at many places, but one of them was in Air Traffic Control at El Adem where he lived with his family. And Yes, I think you went sailing with his daughter my Aunt Suzy or maybe my mother Julia!
They did indeed move to Thorney Island for his next posting.
I grew-up a few miles from Thorney Island just the other side of the harbour on Hayling Island and was to born into a life of sailing boats!

Best Regards
Simon.