PDA

View Full Version : Passing a class one medical with club foot

Tommyc9494
27th Aug 2018, 08:43
Hi everyone this is the second post of what I’m sure will be many I need your advice and as much information as possible on class one medicals what will you pass on and more importantly what will you fail on I have club foot and slight asthma and am worried about paying £500 to find out I can’t get a class 1medical the reason I ask about asthma is because my dad failed on it and couldn’t become flight crew in the raf some 20 odd years ago he didn’t even no he had it

Also I was thinking of contacting a few places before I booked one to beg them to have a look at my medical records to see if I can pass before shelling out.

Nurse2Pilot
27th Aug 2018, 10:18
Not taken a Class 1 yet but don't they allow you to go out and sort out any issues then come back for a re-test like in an MOT?

Nurse2Pilot
27th Aug 2018, 11:01
Sorry, was reading the original post and for some reason focused on the club foot but you say your main concern is asthma. Depends on what triggers your asthma and how often you take medication (regular or as needed?) and seems like steroids would disqualify you from a Class 1
(c) Asthma
Applicants with asthma requiring medication or experiencing recurrent attacks of asthma, may be assessed as fit if the asthma is considered stable with satisfactory pulmonary function tests and medication is compatible with flight safety. Systemic steroids are disqualifying.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Respiratory/Respiratory-guidance-material-GM/#Asth

I have asthma too and while I've not taken a Class 1 yet, I'm positive it won't be a factor as I only take salbutamol inhalers and only when needed which is rarely.

EGPF
27th Aug 2018, 12:03
I have asthma and have passed my initial class one medical. I found that as long as its well controlled (not taking steroids) and you can pass the 6 minute free run test (not having an asthma attack at the end of the run), you are fine.

EGPF
28th Aug 2018, 08:51

Is this for the RAF or airlines. Did it get brought in so that the Ryanair pilots of this world can sprint round the aircraft on the 20min turn around.

i much prefer a leisurely stroll in the Sunshine.

For the original poster I know the medical is a lot of money but there is only one way you are going to find out if you can get a class one issued.

No, its no the RAF. :D

oggers
1st Sep 2018, 10:13
The original poster has been banned already.

In any case there isn’t a single person who goes to an initial knowing they will pass. You pay your money to find out that is the point. And it won’t stop with the initial, it won’t ever as long as you wish to keep flying. Get over it and stop trying to save a few quid.

Nurse2Pilot
1st Sep 2018, 12:40
Seems like people have been getting banned a lot lately and I've been trying to find out what for but his last post seems to have been deleted? But his first three didn't look like there was anything wrong so just one slip up and a poster gets banned?

In any case there isn’t a single person who goes to an initial knowing they will pass. You pay your money to find out that is the point. And it won’t stop with the initial, it won’t ever as long as you wish to keep flying. Get over it and stop trying to save a few quid.It's not that, it's knowing what the odds are of passing and if anything needs to be done to help the chances.

I was told a story of one lad going for a Class 1 and returned crying as he was told he was never going to pass due to his eyesight. What they didn't tell him was that he could've then gone to the opticians, gotten tested, got glasses or contact lenses, and then return and pass the Class 1 medical. Nothing else wrong with him, just poor eyesight and being fed bad info. He could've saved himself a lot of grief and a few quid.

PA28161
2nd Sep 2018, 09:26
Ventolin (Salbutamol 100micrograms/dose-Evohaler GSK) and Clenil Modulite (100micrograms/dose) are not restrictive to class l EASA at this point in time.