PDA

View Full Version : CAA Airlines ?

SpringHeeledJack
26th Aug 2018, 15:27
Whilst watching an old news documentary the other night, there was a short segment showing UN Peacekeeping troops arriving either at Beirut, or Tel Aviv. In the background was a 747 with either G.A.A, or C.A.A titles on the side of the hump. Either a passenger or freighter (couldn't see). Can anyone identify this airline ? Footage was late 70's, 1978 or 1979.

treadigraph
26th Aug 2018, 15:54
What colour was it? If green all over, TMA who were based at Beirut springs to mind...

Or South African Airways 747s had SAA titles at one point.

SpringHeeledJack
26th Aug 2018, 16:00
It was metallic and the titles were either dark blue or black. Perhaps it was at the MX facilities at Ben Gurion (Bedev ?) waiting to be converted or checked ?

SpringHeeledJack
26th Aug 2018, 16:12
How about C.A.L ???

treadigraph
26th Aug 2018, 16:31
Flying Tigers' N803FT was leased by Cargo Airlines for a while in 1979... that would have been bare metal with perhaps temporary titles. Don't remember Cargo Airlines!

Cargo Airlines might have been something to do with El Al... Hmmmmm

Other web sources suggest the lease was El Al... wonder if "CAL" titles got it into places El Al might not have been welcome? Can't see any pics of it...

canberra97
27th Aug 2018, 07:49
Flying Tigers' N803FT was leased by Cargo Airlines for a while in 1979... that would have been bare metal with perhaps temporary titles. Don't remember Cargo Airlines!

Cargo Airlines might have been something to do with El Al... Hmmmmm

Other web sources suggest the lease was El Al... wonder if "CAL" titles got it into places El Al might not have been welcome? Can't see any pics of it...

The Israeli cargo airline CARGO AIRLINES ''CAL'' was formed in June 1976 initially started with leased B747F from EL AL, as already stated Flying Tigers B747 N803FT was leased by CAL in 1979 still in it's bare polished metal scheme with the addition of the temporary CAL titles on the hump so on the back of that it seems obvious that this is the aircraft in question.

On a side note CAL were regular visitors at LHR during the late 70's and early 80's usually operating Cargo flights on behalf of EL AL.

treadigraph
27th Aug 2018, 08:23
I see CAL are the operators of 4X-ICA which I have occasionally noted overflying UK on FR24. Odd can't recall them at all from my visits to Heathrow in 70s/80s but the I didn't go that often.

Pic here (http://www.airlines-airliners.de/fotoserien/flying_tigers/n801ft.jpg) of N801FT in basic FT scheme with CAL and El Al titles... but it looks a bit odd to me, probably a Photoshopped image?

rog747
27th Aug 2018, 16:24
I see CAL are the operators of 4X-ICA which I have occasionally noted overflying UK on FR24. Odd can't recall them at all from my visits to Heathrow in 70s/80s but the I didn't go that often.

Pic of N801FT in basic FT scheme with CAL and El Al titles... but it looks a bit odd to me, probably a Photoshopped image?

It is real - one can buy a model of it from Aeroclassics in that hybrid CAL scheme, sorry but I cannot post the URL to it.

I now seem to have lost all my account features.

SpringHeeledJack
28th Aug 2018, 20:44
That is most likely it, as the part I saw on the documentary was up until just before the 'Tiger Stripes', so it was metallic. Bravo gents! Thanks