PDA

View Full Version : Oh to be a helicopter pilot ....!

helimutt
25th Aug 2018, 10:34
https://youtu.be/UqtXCV14LSo

Evil Twin
25th Aug 2018, 11:43
Nice......

haihio
25th Aug 2018, 11:58
Wow that looks very hard indeed! Good job for him, I hope he gets payed very well.

aa777888
25th Aug 2018, 13:42
You know, you think you are in rarefied territory as a helicopter pilot, and then you see something like that.

The US has a population of around 325 million, of which a mere 15,000 or so are helicopter pilots (.005%, yes, five one thousandths of one percent!)

Out of 15,000 helicopter pilots in the US, how many are doing this kind of work? 5? 10?

SASless
25th Aug 2018, 14:40
They are welcome to it!

Too much risk for the return for this old dog!

I did some of this in my wild youth....much simpler level of work than what is in the video....and that was enough for me.

All I did was string some rope over the Pully at each tower which was easy enough to do so long the Winch was paying out the rope properly and nothing got hung up or the engine quit or any kind of control malfunction happened....or the rope broke.

I admire their skill at what they do....as it is a top tier level of work which not many can do.....far better than me by far.

Ascend Charlie
25th Aug 2018, 23:15
Getting the friction right on the payout drum is the key - too little, and the cable will run out into the valley you are crossing. Too much and it jerks you out of the sky.

One group I worked with had a drum with a broken brake, so they grabbed a lump of 4x2 and jammed it against the drum, with a man leaning harder or less against the end of it. He let it go when it caught on fire...

GrayHorizonsHeli
26th Aug 2018, 00:11
looks tedious and slow

i'll be impressed when its done at 30mph and pedal turns

Nubian
26th Aug 2018, 11:23
Getting the friction right on the payout drum is the key - too little, and the cable will run out into the valley you are crossing. Too much and it jerks you out of the sky.

One group I worked with had a drum with a broken brake, so they grabbed a lump of 4x2 and jammed it against the drum, with a man leaning harder or less against the end of it. He let it go when it caught on fire...

2x4 on fire: Check! ;)