PDA

View Full Version : OATS Price rise

Desk-pilot
30th Jul 2001, 17:57
Just spoken to OATS who indicate that their ab-initio ATPL has risen from £48500 to £53604 which strikes me as a bit steep in % terms. I confirmed on the phone that the course remained unchanged.

In addition the deposit has risen from £1500 to £3604.

Having pretty much decided to go for OATS and having only waited to get my Class 1 (booked this week)I now find myself seriously questioning that decision - they're getting close to twice the price of certain other schools and to put their prices up so much does strike me as more than a little bit cynical.

Bit of a blow really - particularly because they (of course) failed to mention the price review at their May open day. Shame because I really loved the school.

Desk-pilot

NigelS
30th Jul 2001, 18:25
I can't say why they have done it but it's interesting that it's affecting the integrated course too. I got a letter after expressing an interest in the modular course detailing price increases. After having compared to other schools that offer modular, the price of the CPL, IR, and MCC are 47, 58, and 125% higher respectively. Maybe they're really not taking the p**S at all though? Maybe they consider themselves so much the number one provider in the country, that they can charge this amount. Additionally, from what others have said here, it sounds like they're bursting at the seams with sponsored students and Algerians. Maybe they just don't want any more students and this is their way of of ensuring they don't get any...

Best of luck whatever you choose to do though.

Send Clowns
30th Jul 2001, 22:59
Think to yourself 'why have I chosen OATS?'. Check that your reasons are valid.

Are they any better than other providers? I have seen evidence that they are no better. My only contact with them was talking to their answering machine, as they never answered the phone or returned my calls, so I cannot compare directly, it has to be your judgement call. They claim to improve employment prospects, but how is that claim substantiated?

Check out some of the other schools, SFT, BAe, Multiflight and Cabair but also those that only do groundschool, then fly elsewhere. If you want information about SFT email me (same goes for all Wannabes!).