PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Aircraft / LSA - What am I missing ?

xxtoni
24th Aug 2018, 04:11
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I discovered something interesting and I can't stop thinking about it so I thought of asking here.

I have an Autogyro Cavalon and it's a fantastic aircraft. It has great service intervals, cheap maintenance, low fuel burn, runs on normal gas (Rotax 914) plus you can land it practically anywhere which makes me feel very safe. It's also in the ultra light category which means not a lot of paperwork with it. All around it's a great aircraft to own.

The only thing I don't love about it is that it is slow and maybe the range but moreso the speed, or rather lack thereof, you're looking at a cruise speed of around 120 km/h.

A few days ago I discovered several ultra light planes made in Europe that seem to have really amazing characteristics:

- A cruise speed of 250-300+ km/h
- Side by side
- Short takeoffs
- Rotax 912/914
- Low fuel burn + can use regular gas
- 100-200k € price tag new
- Nice design (they have to be pretty as well :) )

So my question right now is what am I missing ?

This to me seems like the perfect aircraft (from my perspective). Sure all of them are two seaters but that's perfectly fine for me.

I am only slightly concerned at how these things might fly due to their low weight, stability during flight and such but if the specs match up to the real world these are picture perfect.

Specifically the planes I found so far are:

JMB Aircraft VL3
Blackwing 600RG
OneAircraft

If anyone can describe their experience with similar planes it would be much appreciated

Archer4
24th Aug 2018, 13:22
My thoughts:

- There are quite a number of different planes available. Most made by smaller companies. The question is what happens when a next economic low hits and the manufacturer goes bankrupt. Are you still able to maintain your plane? And what about certification?
- Most of that data seems about right. I do wonder if speeds of 250 - 300 km/h are achievable in a plane with a side by side configuration. The blackshape prime can do about 270 (150knots) with a 2 in line configuration.
- Most of these are in the MLA category with a maximum mass of 450 (or 472.5) kg. You are not allowed to fly these with the standard SEP PPL. Separate training, exam and licensing is required. And yes that is weird.
- The maximum mass of 450(or 472.5)kg is a big problem. Making a valid mass&balance calculation is almost impossible. I had a discussion with a police officer about this. Unofficialy he mentioned they skip the check on M&B for MLA aircraft because they know in advance it is overweight. And that would lead to a report, court case and criminal record. It might be worthwhile to check how they handle this in the locations you fly. (and don't forget any insurance implications)

Genghis the Engineer
24th Aug 2018, 18:01
There are loads of aeroplanes around Europe in the microlight/ultralight/ULM and LSA categories that are really very good - even if I don't personally know the three you've mentioned.

Why aren't they more successful than they are? Well, the categories are indeed very successful, but...

- They're generally approved for day/VFR only
- Payload is usually very marginal on the higher performance aeroplanes
- In many countries the higher performance composite aeroplanes get away with lower structural safety margins that won't get through VLA or 23.
- The best ones cost many times the price of, say, a second hand PA28.

But you are looking at a large successful niche, even if those specific aeroplanes aren't so successful.

G

Jan Olieslagers
24th Aug 2018, 19:00
... and some of those types score quite high in the accident statistics.

A bit of clarification/opinion:

* ULM is defined by EASA as being MTOW 450/472.5 kg, though that seems to be on the move now; the exact rules being left to individual countries. LSA OTOH is 600 kg MTOW, in all EASA-land.
* a 450 kg two-seater will only seat two - of average build - if no luggage is carried, and minimal fuel. With only the pilot on board, they're ok.
* the types you mention have been engineered to get the maximum out of the legal limits, which makes them demanding on pilots.
* be aware that some countries impose limitations on foreigh-registered ultralights - as does my own, to my eternal embarassment

Allow me to suggest you should better define your "mission profile". I understand you wish to travel, but
* one person, or two, or more than 2?
* can you live with the day-only and/or VFR-only limitation?

All that said, take a look at the Europa, you might like it. But be aware that it is sold as a kit, and assembling one is not everybody's job. And they're rarely offered second hand, guess why?