PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air - virus check

Mike6567
23rd Aug 2018, 14:35
I have started to work out how to use my new MacBook Air after 25 years or so using PCs. (W7 and W10 still in use)..
Just now I foolishly clicked on a Adobe update and then got a virus warning. I thought these Mac machines were virus proof so not sure what to do next.
I think I will venture to the apple shop but any suggestions here?

PJD1
23rd Aug 2018, 15:33
Well there is no such thing as virus proof and any operating system can potentially be affected by viruses or malware but the Mac OS is much less likely to be infected as there are less viruses that target Mac's out there and due to the nature of the OS it is much less susceptible to being infected.

Your Mac will not have come with any form of anti-virus software pre-installed so unless you have installed it yourself there is nothing on the system that would give you such a warning. If the warning came while you were browsing the internet and clicked on something it is almost certainly one of the many scam alerts out there that pop up a warning and tell you to "click here" to fix problem - If you follow the recommendation to "click here" this will almost certainly install a virus! This type of scam will almost certainly be aimed at Windows PC's so I think it is probably unlikely that your mac has been affected.