PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines DEFO

FLTLVLCHG
23rd Aug 2018, 10:13
Now that Singapore Airlines is recruiting expats again, anyone willing to provide any info about the salary and benefit package for direct entry First Officer position? The info on ppjn website is rather vague to say the least. Thanks in advance.

HHChan
23rd Aug 2018, 13:38
Now that Singapore Airlines is recruiting expats again, anyone willing to provide any info about the salary and benefit package for direct entry First Officer position? The info on ppjn website is rather vague to say the least. Thanks in advance.

Are they taking in expats?? DEC or DEFO?

FLTLVLCHG
23rd Aug 2018, 15:00
Yes, both direct entry second and first officers.

parabellum
24th Aug 2018, 01:06
Previously, around 1991/2, when SIA recruited ex-pat FOs, they were told they would not be considered for command. May be different now if they are only recruiting on Local terms and conditions, not ex-pat. Ts & Cs

bringbackthe80s
24th Aug 2018, 05:12
Just for clarity, only FO not Direct Captains (that'd really be something).

Piripi
28th Aug 2018, 05:36
Pay rooster(typical schedule) vacation and housing allowance info ,to name a few,please.

Thanks

Eric Janson
28th Aug 2018, 06:58
After the way they treated Expats in the past why would anyone join?

People with 20+ years of service treated like disposable temporary workers.

parabellum
29th Aug 2018, 01:43
Eric - In SIA no one was ever given to believe that they had any more future than the expiry date on their contract. Full nationalisation of the airline was always on the cards, future aircraft orders were well advertised and cadets in the pipeline were also a known quantity. The fact is, or was, that we were exactly as you described, disposable temporary workers.

krismiler
29th Aug 2018, 10:01
Expats in any industry in Singapore are used to manage supply and demand for workers. Need more widget makers due to an increase in orders, hire some expats if not enough locals applying. Not enough work anymore, lay off the expats as they are dearer.

Anyone wanting a long term career at SIA would have been well advised to join on local terms which would have given better job security in return for a lesser package. A 55 year old ex BA Captain with a pension could afford the risk of an expat contract as he'd probably only be looking at one renewal and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't get it.

expat400
29th Aug 2018, 20:41
"After the way they treated Expats in the past why would anyone join?

People with 20+ years of service treated like disposable temporary workers."

Who cares if they'd been there for 20 years? If you want the expat contract you know you're out when you're not needed (been there done that). My friends who went for the local contract are still there. If you don't understand the basics of your employment contract you have a problem, don't blame the airline.

ground to air
30th Aug 2018, 01:29
Can anyone Please provide what the salary/employment package is as an Expat & as a local ?!?
Pro's & Con's of the airline and what kind of rosters they run ?
Cheers

WwP
2nd Sep 2018, 17:46
Hi there all colleagues. I am also interested at F/O position at Singapore Airlines with 2500 hours flight experience at B737 NG. Already i am flying for a big airline but schedule and salary is real problem nowadays. I would like to have widebody experience and live in a more developed country to enhance my life vision and professionalism. Shortly, would like to hear from someone flying for Singapore about the conditions such as roster, crew relations and salary. Wish you all best.

HHChan
3rd Sep 2018, 13:44
Hi there all colleagues. I am also interested at F/O position at Singapore Airlines with 2500 hours flight experience at B737 NG. Already i am flying for a big airline but schedule and salary is real problem nowadays. I would like to have widebody experience and live in a more developed country to enhance my life vision and professionalism. Shortly, would like to hear from someone flying for Singapore about the conditions such as roster, crew relations and salary. Wish you all best.

Dont quite comprehend your concerns. You work in a big company and at the same time you want to live in a more developed country? Doesnt a big company comes from a developed country already, so to speak? Guess you need to ask why you wanna join Singapore airlines..?

Lepo
3rd Sep 2018, 13:53
Dont quite comprehend your concerns. You work in a big company and at the same time you want to live in a more developed country? Doesnt a big company comes from a developed country already, so to speak? Guess you need to ask why you wanna join Singapore airlines..?

No, there are big companies from many parts of the world, like Brazil, Colombia, Panama, South Africa, India, Kenya, Russia, Vietnam, Turkey and so it goes... none of these countries are considered developed but have big airlines.

WwP
3rd Sep 2018, 14:52
Dont quite comprehend your concerns. You work in a big company and at the same time you want to live in a more developed country? Doesnt a big company come from a developed country already, so to speak? Guess you need to ask why you wanna join Singapore airlines..?
I am just looking for better schedling and better payment. And better environment to live for some years. Thats why i am asking about singapore conditions. Already another friend answered the question about big airline and developed country . ıf you have experience with singapore, would appreciate the info.

Ghost_Rider737
4th Sep 2018, 15:40
DEFO salary is on LOCAL terms. No housing or schooling allowance.

Works out to 6500 SGD per month take home. Excluding flying allowances.

Brakerider
4th Sep 2018, 23:54
DEFO salary is on LOCAL terms. No housing or schooling allowance.

Works out to 6500 SGD per month take home. Excluding flying allowances.

Correct me if Im wrong but even the LoCo's (Jetstar, Scoot) pay more than this?

etops777
5th Sep 2018, 00:44
It will be about between 10-11k SGD for an FO.

krismiler
5th Sep 2018, 02:42
A single person can live quite nicely on that and even save some money up. Married with children it will be a struggle as you won't have the expat benefits, such as housing and school fees but won't have citizen benefits such as purchasing government provided housing, low local school fees and subsidised hospitals either.

Time to command an issue as currently top heavy and merging with Silkair however currently losing pilots to China so conditions and/or upgrade time may improve.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/sia-losing-pilots-to-rival-airlines-amid-global-shortage

A good opportunity to join a leading airline if young and single. Apply for permanent residence after a couple of years which gives numerous benefits and is the gateway to citizenship and a grade A passport which could be of interest if currently holding a less desirable travel document.

Middle Eastern airlines have much better expat packages but don't offer a good living environment. This offer does look like a better option than joining Cathay though. Only you can decide what best suits your own circumstances.

FlyingChipmunk
9th Sep 2018, 07:21
Funny how the tables have turned....Scoot FOs are now paid the same, if not more than their SQ counterparts and enjoying a decent lifestyle to boot.

HHChan
9th Sep 2018, 13:44
Funny how the tables have turned....Scoot FOs are now paid the same, if not more than their SQ counterparts and enjoying a decent lifestyle to boot.
well he did say 10-11k..but is that Gross or net pay? he didnt clarify...

FlyingChipmunk
15th Sep 2018, 05:54

Tax on this amount is negligible in SIN. Circa S$800 but I stand to be corrected.

Choce of fleets too in TZ/TR. Exciting times.

Flyboysg
15th Sep 2018, 10:00

That amount is before tax and cpf and for scoot 320 working 80 hrs a mth.

one day soon
15th Sep 2018, 13:03
I'm guessing Airbus will go onto a330, can anyone give an idea of routes, schedule, average trip length or roster, or any other contract info
thanks

Gate_15L
17th Sep 2018, 04:57
Before CPF?!
isn't CPF like 43%?

pho4friutr
17th Sep 2018, 10:26

burnable gomi
18th Sep 2018, 01:49
Before CPF?!
isn't CPF like 43%?

Employee contribution if you're under 55 is 20% capped at $1200/month

The pay for all flying jobs in Singapore is very subpar. Even more so considering the high cost of living. That cost is even greater for non-Singaporeans as you don't have access to the subsidised housing that locals get. If you have kids, schooling is also very expensive.

Hogger60
18th Sep 2018, 04:16
No CPF unless you are PR or Citizen.

parabellum
19th Sep 2018, 01:52
No CPF unless you are PR or Citizen.

Must have changed then. In the nineties expats had CPF, the company provident fund had closed. (Still got my CPF umbrella somewhere, presented with final payout!).

one day soon
19th Sep 2018, 06:59
As hogger says then reducing from 55, plus under some circumstances the ability to withdraw it.
CPF 20% up to age 55, 13% 55 to 60, 7.5% 60 to 65, 5% above 65

thegypsy
19th Sep 2018, 11:20
parabellum

Like you I was a DEC from GF but only did 5 years from being checked on the line as age 60 was the end of the road. Back then SQ was a good job, regular yearly bonus, 13 month salary , special accommodation allowance paying 80% of the rent with tax benefits to boot. Those days are well and truly over now.

parabellum
20th Sep 2018, 05:08
thegypsy - Yes, I don't think I have ever alluded otherwise. The CPF was payable by and paid to local and expat alike, so it would not be unreasonable to expect it to be paid now to anyone on a Local contract.

etops777
20th Sep 2018, 10:31
thegypsy - Yes, I don't think I have never alluded otherwise. The CPF was payable by and paid to local and expat alike, so it would not be unreasonable to expect it to be paid now to anyone on a Local contract.

It's only paid to Singaporeans and PRs. Expats now is on a local contract but do not get CPF!

parabellum
21st Sep 2018, 00:07
Thanks etops777, that doesn't sound so good. I knew when they scrapped the expat contract they stripped out as much as they could to bring it in line with a local contract, didn't realise they had gone below the line, as it were, and taken CPF out as well, that strikes me as a 'low blow'.

thegypsy
21st Sep 2018, 16:29
I don't remember getting CPF but perhaps memory has gone confused:

slayerdude
22nd Sep 2018, 17:37
-no paying CPF is a national policy. Only PRs and citizens get CPF
-the DEFO gig is only for pilots with an ATPL and 1500hrs or more
-only on local terms 6500sgd basic and 60sgd per hour flt pay with no guaranteed
-also payable is a meal allowance .
-average take home is around 11500-12000pm SGD
-5yrs minimum time to command-depends on slots no guarantees again
-random computer generated roster. no commuting roster or lifestyle roster. only guarantee is 8 days off (2days every week)
rentals start at 800sgd for a room to 5000sgd for a 3 bedroom apartment
cheap 2nd hand 5 years Japanese car starts for 40000sgd
pint of beer ranges from 12sgd to 25 sgd depending on location and establishment
-the plus... you get to fly a shiny almost new widebody
good luck applying and but you have been forewarned

Fly3
23rd Sep 2018, 00:23
Like thegypsy, I was there back in the nineties and I certainly didn't get CPF. The Provident Fund was terminated when SAR"s occurred. It was frozen but did pay out when I left at age 60.

parabellum
23rd Sep 2018, 01:27
When I joined we had the choice to join the company fund or CPF, I chose the company fund. The company fund was closed and our contributions withheld but still growing (a bit!) until we left. When the fund closed to further contributions we were directed to the CPF. I drew mine in 2001 and still have the umbrella that was presented with the final cheque, after all outstanding income tax had been deducted! Clearly we were on different Ts and Cs where provident fund was concerned.

etops777
23rd Sep 2018, 03:01
-no paying CPF is a national policy. Only PRs and citizens get CPF
-the DEFO gig is only for pilots with an ATPL and 1500hrs or more
-only on local terms 6500sgd basic and 60sgd per hour flt pay with no guaranteed
-also payable is a meal allowance .
-average take home is around 11500-12000pm SGD
-5yrs minimum time to command-depends on slots no guarantees again
-random computer generated roster. no commuting roster or lifestyle roster. only guarantee is 8 days off (2days every week)
rentals start at 800sgd for a room to 5000sgd for a 3 bedroom apartment
cheap 2nd hand 5 years Japanese car starts for 40000sgd
pint of beer ranges from 12sgd to 25 sgd depending on location and establishment
-the plus... you get to fly a shiny almost new widebody
good luck applying and but you have been forewarned

The time to command far exceed the minimum 5 years. For someone that join today it will be around 13-15 years to command much like CX.

The hourly flight pay is on a tier basis. When one flies more than 70 hours per month the hourly pay goes up.

Apartment rental depends on the type one choose to rent. From a single room to 2-4 bedrooms HDB or Condo.

I would say if one has a good job in your home country I would not suggest the move.

HHChan
23rd Sep 2018, 12:18
The time to command far exceed the minimum 5 years. For someone that join today it will be around 13-15 years to command much like CX.

The hourly flight pay is on a tier basis. When one flies more than 70 hours per month the hourly pay goes up.

Apartment rental depends on the type one choose to rent. From a single room to 2-4 bedrooms HDB or Condo.

I would say if one has a good job in your home country I would not suggest the move.

No more 5yrs yes..but where is this 13-15 yrs for DEFO? Its not written on stones yet. The 13-15 yrs are meant for those who start from day one cadets. There is a queue but nothing is firmed on how many years yet. Maybe shorter...

BlunderBus
23rd Sep 2018, 23:48
Geez guys why don’t you take a look at how they treated the last expat pilots they’ve employed!!!!
doesnt anyone EVER learn?!!!!

parabellum
24th Sep 2018, 01:51
Blunder Bus - With regard to SQ you A). Don't know what you are talking about and B). Know nothing of the inherent ramifications of an expat contract versus a Local contract. It is you who apparently doesn't learn.

greybeard
24th Sep 2018, 05:53
I was there in the early 1990s when there were a large number of Expat F/Os on expat contracts. Not on the seniority list so no command AT ALL. given very early the word that "NOT NEEDED, NOT WANTED".
Many fled, some converted to local conditions and on the "list" from that date, a few stayed until the end of their contract, BUT were not guaranteed the chance to go "local", not many stayed the time.
Some of those who stayed have done well, senior management in some cases.
You need to ADJUST to the way of SIA, i did time on the L-31 and the A-310, minor differences at times, good overall flying, fun training on both fleets, some of my trainees are up in Management which after 15-20 years so they should be.
It is not where you have come from, it can be where you are mostly happy, big shiny jets, generally acceptable then and i believe now as well.

wlshwzd
22nd Nov 2018, 09:04
Email in early November from HR

Fill out 3 forms- licence & flying experience, pilot addendum, final interview CV summary.

When asked about sending salary terms and conditions for my viewing, was informed that it’s confidential information and will be supplied if successful. ( how do you know your really interested ?)

Flight and accomodation given for two nights but only on request to HR.

Flight was non upgradeable Economy.

Ground transport from airport to hotel is via a free shuttle from the airport ground transport desk.

Hotel is the Grand Mercure Roxy, and breakfast is not included with your room. There is a mall and supermarket across the road.

Late checkout is available till 1400 for no additional charge. ( depends on your Sim session time if successful in your interview in Day 1)

Day 1

Take a taxi for $15 each way to SIA training centre for 1130 on upper Changi road. At the gate you will swap your ID or passport for a security pass then ask for directions to Lobby C level 1 and wait.

You may meet other cadets, DESO or DEFO. You will then be called as a group for a document check. Licence, medical, logbook, educational certificates, birth certificate, passport copy, recommendations from current/ last company. Also to provide a visual acuity test as class one medical will not suffice. All originals With Copies.

Then you will be given the training bond form to view, tick and sign....

BEWARE for cadet and DESO expats ( non Singaporean) It’s 7 years and 200,000 Sing $

DEFO bond is 3 years expat or not and S$150000.

Then your numbered by application, so DEFO first then DESO, then cadets.

DESO’s & cadets are required to write an essay with a minimum of 50 words as to why they want to join SIA. DEFO’s will not do this.

You are then required to sit in the hallway on a chair, and wait to be called by the panel. The panel consisted of four men. We were told beforehand that three are management pilots and one is ground training.

They do not introduce themselves by name or their position but one takes the lead.

As I was DEFO They did not ask me anything technical or anything else ATPL related. No CRM or tell us about a time when .......

Very contrary to what I thought it would be.

They asked questions about me and my flying experience.

Being hired on local terms and conditions for permanent contract. (Of which were not provided.)This is especially for those with families (wives & children)

They are not shy and will tell you there is no housing, schooling or any other expat allowances. Although normal state schools are very good. Even on day one of employment standing at the airport with your bags, you will be finding your own accommodation. There is no accomodation assistance such as hotel or company housing to ease you into living here.

Why join SIA ?

Have you been to Singapore before?

What do you know about cost of living here?

What do you know about time to command here ?

What are your thoughts about that ?

Why leave your current airline ?

They may ask you to join on 737 with Silk now that they’re part of the group, but the question may be designed to illicit a response. Depends if you like Boeing or are willing to take whatever opportunity that gets you into SIA.

In recent view of the Lion Air incident and Air France 447, what would you have done differently ?

The Interview finished after 20 mins, with some closing questions for them.

They say you will be notified via email by 10am the following day to proceed to the sim centre at the same location ( SIA training centre) at roughly 1330 the very same day.

I was emailed three hours later.

DEFO Basic entry level salary monthly is $6000 Sing, this is before tax of which you pay and sort out at the end of the year. Time from induction to final line check is between 4 to 6 months as mentioned in the interview.

If you fly max hours, you will earn $8500 per month before tax.

BE AWARE of what your left with after taking into account personal, tax related, accomodation, and transportation costs etc.

Day 2

The sim is 777, and you will meet with HR, who will take you upstairs to meet one instructor and he will brief you on the sim assessment.

Everything is raw data. Depart via SID. Then HDG then direct to a position. ( LOFT) Some wx then deviation required. After deviation engine surge which then continued to become inextinguishable engine fire. Decision making exercise. Land via raw data ILS. No autopilot or auto throttle.

You will be notified to attend the medical on Friday( it’s always on Friday) Rescheduling flights and hotel will be taken care of.

Day 3

The CAA Medical is free for DESO, they pay online and have it reimbursed at the clinic.

DEFO will pay $236 sing , it’s NOT REIMBURSED..

They’ll let you know in time.

HHChan
22nd Nov 2018, 11:03
$8500?? USD or Sing dollars?...if in Sing..think its wrong mate. Not that low..well maybe

BAe 146-100
22nd Nov 2018, 15:26
Must be desperate to accept this, a good case of big shiny jet syndrome . Thanks for the info anyway.

Stallone
23rd Nov 2018, 11:05
6000SGD basic with only 2500SGD allowance is kinda pathetic to be honest

fighterkok
23rd Nov 2018, 16:19
Unless one is really desperate for jet time, or has nowhere to go, the TnC's for DEFO seem pretty poor considering Singapore is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Plenty of better options around financially for expats from the looks of what has been posted above. Even the interview panel know this fact as posted above, and they even had the cheek to ask the candidate how will he cope. Smacks of true arrogance! I guess their cabin service is impeccable but when it comes to renumeration, it has a long way to go!

FK

payblog
24th Nov 2018, 18:08

mach92
30th Nov 2018, 23:52
My buddy is in management at Scoot. He is taking home $45,000 SGD a month. SIA can pay way more.

Reims_Rocket
1st Dec 2018, 22:03
My buddy is in management at Scoot. He is taking home $45,000 SGD a month. SIA can pay way more.
So your buddy is FO and in the management with Scoot and he gets 45,000 SGD/month?!?!

slayerdude
1st Dec 2018, 22:46
FK---pilots managers aren't a dumb bunch... All the terms and conditions are HR driven(the TnCs are really pathertic), the the pilot managers know very well that there really is no way anybody can up root to restart life in SIN with that salary. The hope is that they go thru the process and hope nobody comes.... airplanes get parked and go uncrewed... then and only then can they say HR screwed up and Flight Ops dictate the terms and conditions

Mach92_think you are wrong.... that scoot management FO does not earn 45000 sgd/month.... too little... he gets 145000 sgd/month... please check with him again...he only flies 10hrs/months and has 2 hard office days a week..... tuff gig... not paying the poor FO enuff

jetjockey696
2nd Dec 2018, 11:12
Dont forget you are dealing in a area where losing face is not a option, so a long wait before change in contracts. If HR is controlling the T&C of pilots, expect a escape goat if planes get grounded, HR will not be responsible..

Merovingio
30th Jan 2019, 08:45
Any news on this? They wrote me for video interview but considering the conditions vs life price there.. DEFO.

evanra
6th Feb 2019, 17:32
Dear All,
Was also contacted for a video interview. Any details about this first step ? DEFO
Merovingio The same ... I do have a good position right now and have a family. Should I make this jump ?

wlshwzd What was the outcome of all this ? Was surprised to read that not even one technical question was asked. Yet I do really appreciate all your inputs ! thx !

Merovingio
7th Feb 2019, 08:37
Dear All,
Was also contacted for a video interview. Any details about this first step ? DEFO
Merovingio The same ... I do have a good position right now and have a family. Should I make this jump ?

wlshwzd What was the outcome of all this ? Was surprised to read that not even one technical question was asked. Yet I do really appreciate all your inputs ! thx !
Just good luck ! I didn't go.

Flyboysg
7th Feb 2019, 11:23
Dear All,

Unless you are ok with your children studying in Singapore schools and not international schools, stay away. Your one month take home will be barely enough in that case.

Swanrider
8th Feb 2019, 05:30
JetJockey - SCAPEGOAT, not ESCAPE GOAT ...a scapegoat is an animal which is ritually burdened with the sins of others, then driven away. The concept first appears in Leviticus (Bible), in which a goat is designated to be cast into the desert to carry away the sins of the community.

Good luck with SQ :cool: As mentioned above, they booted out all expats previously and they'll do it again.

Happy landings:ok:

slayerdude
10th Feb 2019, 09:05
they booted out all expats previously ---yes they did... all the guys on expat contracts were not renewed nor continued--- but they did help them get jobs
As for the foreign pilots(non Singaporean) pilots on local terms---- we are still here duly employed on local terms--some even in management.... so now what is it... expats or foreign?

It is however really a captain airline... if you are coming as DEFO and you are single.... pretty good long term gig.... Assessment for command is 5 years for check out productive date...and yes it is written in black and white

bringbackthe80s
10th Feb 2019, 14:57
I wish I had this chance when I was 25! Really good long term career in a fantastic city. Yes, it is not the expat contracts of 25 years ago, exactly like anywhere else in the world, but you get to fly the best iron in a super professional environment.

Big Neil
15th Feb 2019, 21:48
Can someone please confirm the approximate pay per month after deductions for DEFO new joiners?

A few have mentioned circa S$11500 after deductions, which doesn't seem too bad.

But someone else (recently interviewed) mentioned S$8500 (maximum) before deductions, which is very different! Also that the bond is an eye watering S$150,000. Surely this information is mistaken or a typo...?

If not, is the huge difference because the guys getting circa S$11500 net are actually on older (and much much better) contracts?.

Confused

parabellum
15th Feb 2019, 21:59
You don't actually have to pay the SIA bond unless you want to leave before the bonded period, (for non rated about 5 years), is up, then you pay pro rata depending on how much of your bonded period is left.

newpielot
18th Feb 2019, 05:25
$8500?? USD or Sing dollars?...if in Sing..think its wrong mate. Not that low..well maybe

Any clarity on this? If it’s SGD then that means it’s as low as some local contracts in South East Asia.

Stilllearning1234
19th Feb 2019, 01:39
Any clarity on this? If it’s SGD then that means it’s as low as some local contracts in South East Asia.

I think that is your basic monthly pay without your flying allowance, on 75hrs above your take home will be approximately 12k or there abouts. Correct me if I am wrong.

newpielot
19th Feb 2019, 02:36
I think that is your basic monthly pay without your flying allowance, on 75hrs above your take home will be approximately 12k or there abouts. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah I guess that makes more sense.
Thanks for the response.

newpielot
19th Feb 2019, 03:16
You don't actually have to pay the SIA bond unless you want to leave before the bonded period, (for non rated about 5 years), is up, then you pay pro rata depending on how much of your bonded period is left.

Is the bond something they deduct from your salary for 5 years? I won’t have that kind of cash to hand if offered the job.

Flyboysg
19th Feb 2019, 07:14
FO basic if I'm not wrong is 6200 Sgd a mth. 30-40 sgd/hr and other variable allowances, 13 mth and yearly bonus. So ur mthly take home will vary.

Yevgeiy.Ka
23rd Feb 2019, 07:35
So,as i had a call from them,and asked to give a 45 minute Skype interview.
pretty standart and relaxed,but they dint tell any details at all,like mmmmm you gonna make approximately 7000USD,that is it,they ask,general questions based on your CV,nothing tricky,except you dont know **** abut terms and conditions for this job.
They said it is most likely 737 r 747-400,so they are looking drivers for Scoot and cargo,so no fancy routes as i had in my fantasy world
After the interview they said they want to bring me to Singapore for an assessment,BUT!!!!only ticked and accommodation provided,there additionally you have to pay for the medical check and some exams,air law and ops,around 700USD~!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know guys,what is it all about,i will try to ask more info,but they said no everything gonna be okay.

newpielot
23rd Feb 2019, 23:39
So,as i had a call from them,and asked to give a 45 minute Skype interview.
pretty standart and relaxed,but they dint tell any details at all,like mmmmm you gonna make approximately 7000USD,that is it,they ask,general questions based on your CV,nothing tricky,except you dont know **** abut terms and conditions for this job.
They said it is most likely 737 r 747-400,so they are looking drivers for Scoot and cargo,so no fancy routes as i had in my fantasy world
After the interview they said they want to bring me to Singapore for an assessment,BUT!!!!only ticked and accommodation provided,there additionally you have to pay for the medical check and some exams,air law and ops,around 700USD~!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know guys,what is it all about,i will try to ask more info,but they said no everything gonna be okay.

It depends on what you’re willing to take. Would you regret doing it or regret it more that you didn’t?
Will they reimburse your 700USD if you get the job?

parabellum
24th Feb 2019, 08:27
No, you only have to pay them if you break the bond and leave early, there are no monthly deductions from salary, you do not pay for your rating, just complete your bonded period, that is all.

fighterkok
24th Feb 2019, 10:36
No, you only have to pay them if you break the bond and leave early, there are no monthly deductions from salary, you do not pay for your rating, just complete your bonded period, that is all.

ParaB,

I guess you worked for them during the glory years as a DEC and were well treated. What the above posters are mentioning is the cost of the interview and subsequent medical to join is from their own pocket. Just another job which is reeking of the low cost disease which is griping this industry. What you say though about bonds and leaving is apparently correct and verified by my sources their as well.

Cheers,

FK

newpielot
24th Feb 2019, 12:20
ParaB,

I guess you worked for them during the glory years as a DEC and were well treated. What the above posters are mentioning is the cost of the interview and subsequent medical to join is from their own pocket. Just another job which is reeking of the low cost disease which is griping this industry. What you say though about bonds and leaving is apparently correct and verified by my sources their as well.

Cheers,

FK

I think that’s a really good deal. It’s better than paying for your own rating.
Im guessing its a local contract with no help in terms of housing in the short term?

parabellum
25th Feb 2019, 07:25
Hello fighterkok. Correct, I was a DEC way back. In case it gives you any comfort we had to pay costs related to the interview and medical as well, all medical fees, food and accommodation etc. We did get a non upgradeable Economy ticket on SIA to get there and back from the interview, from the nearest airport that SIA had a scheduled service to, not necessarily your home airport. I found them very good to work for but there is no such thing as a free lunch! :)

mnms
26th Feb 2019, 21:18
Hi!
Is there anyone that has more info about the DESO entry besides the info from their website regarding the selection process, contracts etc?

Big_T
16th Mar 2019, 01:45
No more 5yrs yes..but where is this 13-15 yrs for DEFO? Its not written on stones yet. The 13-15 yrs are meant for those who start from day one cadets. There is a queue but nothing is firmed on how many years yet. Maybe shorter...

Varying reports on upgrades. Does SIA upgrade foreigners, and how long is the wait for a DEFO?

ground to air
16th Mar 2019, 01:45
Can someone please confirm the approximate pay per month after deductions for DEFO new joiners?

A few have mentioned circa S$11500 after deductions, which doesn't seem too bad.

But someone else (recently interviewed) mentioned S$8500 (maximum) before deductions, which is very different! Also that the bond is an eye watering S$150,000. Surely this information is mistaken or a typo...?

If not, is the huge difference because the guys getting circa S$11500 net are actually on older (and much much better) contracts?.

Confused

If ANYONE can finally put this question with a solid response to rest that would be hugely appreciated ...

MetBs
26th Mar 2019, 14:48
Hi,

Just for info, did they ask you anything about ATPL theory or anything similar?

mcchow
11th Apr 2019, 06:56
Hi guys
does anyone know anything about the DESO interview and the recruitment process?
I’m from malaysia and got an interview with them in KL so I would like to know any insight abt it
Thanks

anto125
15th Apr 2019, 10:38
Hi guys
does anyone know anything about the DESO interview and the recruitment process?
I’m from malaysia and got an interview with them in KL so I would like to know any insight abt it
Thanks

Just sent my application, would be cool to know something more.

HHChan
15th Apr 2019, 11:13
for the fact no one has really replied on this topic, it seems its not ideal to come to Singapore airlines...there are better offers out there

BBB7700
7th May 2019, 17:57
Hi everyone,
I have applied for the direct entry SO position about a week ago...does anyone know how long it will take for them to reply after the initial application is filled in?
Thanks for the help.
Cheers.

cruisepower
2nd Jul 2019, 08:29
Hi everyone,
I have applied for the direct entry SO position about a week ago...does anyone know how long it will take for them to reply after the initial application is filled in?
Thanks for the help.
Cheers.

It too me around 6 months. Anyone passed the sim assessment?

Banana Joe
23rd Jul 2019, 18:39
If joining as SO, how long will it take on average to upgrade to FO?

streetguy
24th Jul 2019, 01:10
between 9 to 12 months if there is no "hiccups"

Plane123
27th Jul 2019, 10:18
between 9 to 12 months if there is no "hiccups"
Actually it's faster, about 6 months or later is possible.

slayerdude
11th Aug 2019, 16:21
the SO position in SQ is a training position. SOs are folk that are in line training to become FOs. The SO training period is about 6 months NOW depending on fleet, instructor supply and training sectors available.

Wayans
13th Aug 2019, 20:17
Has anyone who has been contacted for an interview had only turboprop time? I have 6600 hours total with about 2500 of that as Q400 PIC, 4000 Q400 total. Been PFO'd twice, but I'm still curious to know if anyone has gone without a jet type-rating.

Thanks

cruisepower
14th Aug 2019, 02:42
Has anyone who has been contacted for an interview had only turboprop time? I have 6600 hours total with about 2500 of that as Q400 PIC, 4000 Q400 total. Been PFO'd twice, but I'm still curious to know if anyone has gone without a jet type-rating.

Thanks

Yes i have around 4500 hrs and been invited. No jet time mostly mix of heavy and light turboprop time

Brakerider
14th Aug 2019, 21:33
Yes i have around 4500 hrs and been invited. No jet time mostly mix of heavy and light turboprop time

for DEFO or SO out of interest?

cruisepower
15th Aug 2019, 05:16
for DEFO or SO out of interest?

Second officer. Most of my hrs are on light aeroplanes so they said I don’t qualify as a direct FO

mcchow
13th Nov 2019, 05:50
hi guys

cruisepower
30th Dec 2019, 17:28
If ANYONE can finally put this question with a solid response to rest that would be hugely appreciated ...

pay is between 9000- 11000 net, depends on the fleet, layover and allowance.
If you are with silk air then expect it to be on the lower side whereas the best fleet for lifestyle and pay are the A380 and A350

and No you do not pay for your interview, they provide you with tickets and hotel. All you need to pay is for the class 1 medical. The SIA medical will be taken care.

WannaBeBiggles
30th Dec 2019, 18:43
pay is between 9000- 11000 net, depends on the fleet, layover and allowance.
If you are with silk air then expect it to be on the lower side whereas the best fleet for lifestyle and pay are the A380 and A350

and No you do not pay for your interview, they provide you with tickets and hotel. All you need to pay is for the class 1 medical. The SIA medical will be taken care.

How much of a cut is it for the DESO's?

cruisepower
30th Dec 2019, 18:47
How much of a cut is it for the DESO's?

Around 4000 sing dollars, From SO to FO takes around 6-9 months.

roll_over
28th Jan 2020, 17:21
Does SIA upgrade expats? I imagine time to command is really quite long?

Windshieldwiper
29th Jan 2020, 08:56
Does SIA upgrade expats? I imagine time to command is really quite long?

During my interview I asked them this question. The answer was, they will upgrade expats. The minimum time to be considered is 5 years, but most likely 7 to 10 years.

Captain_Scooby
6th Sep 2022, 13:13
They've opened up RHS recruitment again - https://singaporeairlines.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=4&c=singaporeairlines

T54A
7th Sep 2022, 05:23
Any ideas of the DEFO salary package for those joint now? I’m A350 type rated so no bond I assume

FalseGS
7th Sep 2022, 14:27
You have been spoonfed the link. Open it and see for yourself.

Sharklet
8th Sep 2022, 07:43
If you have an answer feel free to give it ,
Not looking for obvious advices ..

1. Holds a valid CPL/MEIR with frozen ATPL or ATPL (recognized or can be validated by CAAS).

I had overlooked this until now and wonder the same. Since ICAO is the least common denominator, I would assume it can be validated by CAAS.

On Guard
8th Sep 2022, 09:57
I had overlooked this until now and wonder the same. Since ICAO is the least common denominator, I would assume it can be validated by CAAS.

Anyone know the ballpark salary? Lifestyle? Thanks

pommy80
8th Sep 2022, 09:59
If you have an answer feel free to give it ,
Not looking for obvious advices ..

It literally states on the link. You can apply as long as the CAAS recognises the licences.

Don’t expect to be a preference however.

fighterkok
8th Sep 2022, 10:29
Anyone know the ballpark salary? Lifestyle? Thanks
If it was any good, they would have definitely posted the deets.

nobodoc
8th Sep 2022, 21:29
Hello guys,

Any factual info on salary? Latest knowledge from trustworthy sources?

Anyone here know more info about the interview process in itself (theoretical and practical components)?

Thanks!

Rui Dias
11th Sep 2022, 23:01
G'day,

Do you know if it is possible to update/modify an application after being submitted?

Cheers

maxipower
13th Sep 2022, 10:54
Hi guys,,

I also looking for the latest information about SIA. I am interested in B777 DEFO. What is the avarage salary? What are the benefits?
How is the company and cockpit?
Is there any information about layovers or rosters?

777JockeyIN
13th Sep 2022, 16:35
These days, just to get called to the interview is a big deal. I wouldnt worry about T&C at the moment.
Did any one get a call so far ?

quagmire69
13th Sep 2022, 18:06
Anyone else having problems to apply? Error page after trying to log in.

HKG_Refugee
14th Sep 2022, 02:17
You are joking right? I have been employed for almost a year and turn away offers every week.
There are more jobs than you can shake a stick at; if you're a qualified Captain with a reasonable license.

Climb150
14th Sep 2022, 06:37
You are joking right? I have been employed for almost a year and turn away offers every week.
There are more jobs than you can shake a stick at; if you're a qualified Captain with a reasonable license.

Seeing this is a thread for FO hiring, why don't you take your 4 bars and big ego somewhere else?

cruisepower
14th Sep 2022, 10:05
For those who cleared all the stages and medical before covid but not yet signed the contract, did you re apply and got any call?

Will SIA give any preference or priority to those who already went through the stages and passes pre covid?

Pre covid I cleared all the DeSo stages and have now re applied isnthere any one same?

Giuff
17th Sep 2022, 07:03
Seeing this is a thread for FO hiring, why don't you take your 4 bars and big ego somewhere else?

well said.
Recently lots of clowns got out of the circus tent.
We have one here.
Good luck to those who will give a try at SIA.

yellokiwi
23rd Sep 2022, 10:14
Newbie out of flight school meeting the bare minimum for DESO here.

Probability of considered even for an interview is near 0 but I want to submit my application anyway.

Question: 1. Holds a valid CPL/MEIR with frozen ATPL or ATPL (recognized or can be validated by CAAS).

I live in New Zealand, would my CPL and frozen ATPL be recognized? or do I have to say "no" in the application? I'm trying to look for answers everywhere but can't find the information.

cruisepower
23rd Sep 2022, 18:20
Newbie out of flight school meeting the bare minimum for DESO here.

Probability of considered even for an interview is near 0 but I want to submit my application anyway.

Question: 1. Holds a valid CPL/MEIR with frozen ATPL or ATPL (recognized or can be validated by CAAS).

I live in New Zealand, would my CPL and frozen ATPL be recognized? or do I have to say "no" in the application? I'm trying to look for answers everywhere but can't find the information.

Yes New Zealand CPL is recognized. Only after you pass the interview and simulator assessment they will advise you on the license conversion.

Remember the absolute min requirement for DESO is a CPL with MEIR so you do meet meet requirements however I am not sure if they will call those with some hrs first.

yellokiwi
23rd Sep 2022, 20:53
Yes New Zealand CPL is recognized. Only after you pass the interview and simulator assessment they will advise you on the license conversion.

Remember the absolute min requirement for DESO is a CPL with MEIR so you do meet meet requirements however I am not sure if they will call those with some hrs first.

Thank you so much for your response. I have just the bare minimum with 250 total flight hours and 102 PIC including MEIR and ATPL credits. No harm in applying right?

Gflyerfly
24th Sep 2022, 07:33
I know of people who've gotten in with the absolute minimum hours. So i wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as your license is ICAO recognized, you'll be fine. CPL and frozen ATPL is also recognized, although just like any other country, you'll have to do some exams for license conversion.

yellokiwi
24th Sep 2022, 08:36
I know of people who've gotten in with the absolute minimum hours. So i wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as your license is ICAO recognized, you'll be fine. CPL and frozen ATPL is also recognized, although just like any other country, you'll have to do some exams for license conversion.

Wow really? Do you know how they prepared for the assessment? The most I'm worried about is the sim assessment because I have few hours hands on experience only on the A320 sim. Only real way I can practice currently is on microsoft simulator using a joystick... There aren't any jet simulators in my town.

cruisepower
24th Sep 2022, 09:07
Wow really? Do you know how they prepared for the assessment? The most I'm worried about is the sim assessment because I have few hours hands on experience only on the A320 sim. Only real way I can practice currently is on microsoft simulator using a joystick... There aren't any jet simulators in my town.

Interview- be yourself
Sim assessment- it's all manual flying , right now best thing you can do is practice on flight sim.

But more important is to get invited first. Then only I would be worried about the rest.

Also guys anyone knows if you need to have a valid IR within 6 months for the license conversion? I think its a new requirement I Maybe wrong tho.

yellokiwi
24th Sep 2022, 10:14
Interview- be yourself
Sim assessment- it's all manual flying , right now best thing you can do is practice on flight sim.

But more important is to get invited first. Then only I would be worried about the rest.

Also guys anyone knows if you need to have a valid IR within 6 months for the license conversion? I think its a new requirement I Maybe wrong tho.

Yeah, I agree. Shouldn't get my self all hyped up without an invite first. Thank you for the replies though. Really appreciate it.

Gflyerfly
24th Sep 2022, 10:38

Honestly just be yourself because that's what they're looking for. Different airlines look for different personalities as much as they argue that pilots are all the same. It's more geared at seeing whether you fit with the company culture.

Yeah the just practice on the sim because you won't have a clue what sim you're doing until you do it.

But you are right, just worry about one bit at a time. Not to be too pessimistic or anything, the rejection rate is very high for SQ. If you haven't already done so, go have a look a bit more in depth about SQ with regards to lifestyle, pay, living in SG etc. There's a lot to consider other than just the job.

cruisepower
24th Sep 2022, 15:51
Honestly just be yourself because that's what they're looking for. Different airlines look for different personalities as much as they argue that pilots are all the same. It's more geared at seeing whether you fit with the company culture.

Yeah the just practice on the sim because you won't have a clue what sim you're doing until you do it.

But you are right, just worry about one bit at a time. Not to be too pessimistic or anything, the rejection rate is very high for SQ. If you haven't already done so, go have a look a bit more in depth about SQ with regards to lifestyle, pay, living in SG etc. There's a lot to consider other than just the job.

totally agree with the above. SIA is one of the best airlines in the world and you are guaranteed a world class training program and work environment. The rejection rate is indeed high and only the right ones get in. But no one should lose hope we all are together in it, if you get invited and give your best then this job is yours.

As much as this job is attractive the downside is the cost of living in Singapore is one of the highest in the world, if you are single you can manage but if with a family and kids it will be a challenge. The salary is on local terms, no housing allowance, no schooling and relocation assistance.

Additionally this job comes with a 7 year bond and for 5 year a sum will be deducted for the type rating cost so even less money. The salary is ok but not on par with other world class airlines. Most guys get the rating and hrs and leave.

But right now we should all wait to get invited hopefully soon we shall get .

yellokiwi
25th Sep 2022, 01:49
totally agree with the above. SIA is one of the best airlines in the world and you are guaranteed a world class training program and work environment. The rejection rate is indeed high and only the right ones get in. But no one should lose hope we all are together in it, if you get invited and give your best then this job is yours.

As much as this job is attractive the downside is the cost of living in Singapore is one of the highest in the world, if you are single you can manage but if with a family and kids it will be a challenge. The salary is on local terms, no housing allowance, no schooling and relocation assistance.

Additionally this job comes with a 7 year bond and for 5 year a sum will be deducted for the type rating cost so even less money. The salary is ok but not on par with other world class airlines. Most guys get the rating and hrs and leave.

But right now we should all wait to get invited hopefully soon we shall get .

Question about the 7 year bond and rating cost. How much is deducted? When you say most guys get the rating and hrs and leave, how many years after joining do they leave? I'm really not in it for the money but the experience since I wouldn't have to do the instructor route, I see it as a plus for me

cruisepower
25th Sep 2022, 04:11
Question about the 7 year bond and rating cost. How much is deducted? When you say most guys get the rating and hrs and leave, how many years after joining do they leave? I'm really not in it for the money but the experience since I wouldn't have to do the instructor route, I see it as a plus for me

No idea how much but I know for sure there is a bond and a deductible amount over 4 to 5 years.

cavok99
25th Sep 2022, 07:52

Surely they must give you housing allowance as an expat because living in Singapore without is quite substantial and you can’t live in box studio if you have a family. I know even cabin crew get an allowance towards their accommodations

cruisepower
25th Sep 2022, 08:45
Surely they must give you housing allowance as an expat because living in Singapore without is quite substantial and you can’t live in box studio if you have a family. I know even cabin crew get an allowance towards their accommodations

Nope housing allowance is not included. The job in on local terms.

Flyshechu
27th Sep 2022, 04:27
Hi everyone! I have FAA CPL MEIR with 750+ hours. In the United States, even RATP requires 1000 total hours with 200 XC if you have an aviation degree. Should I apply for Cadet Pilot or it is better to wait until I get my RATP in the US to apply for Second Officer? I plan to take ATP written exam soon, but I am not sure if CPL MEIR + ATP exam credits are okay for the second officer. I would be grateful if someone could help me!

cruisepower
27th Sep 2022, 04:59
Hi everyone! I have FAA CPL MEIR with 750+ hours. In the United States, even RATP requires 1000 total hours with 200 XC if you have an aviation degree. Should I apply for Cadet Pilot or it is better to wait until I get my RATP in the US to apply for Second Officer? I plan to take ATP written exam soon, but I am not sure if CPL MEIR + ATP exam credits are okay for the second officer. I would be grateful if someone could help me!

If you have a green card or American citizen stay where you are. There is an unprecedented pilot shortage in the US, try to find a job where you can build hrs and as soon as you reach ATP mins the regionals will fight to take you.

However if you still want to join SIA then you already meet the min requirements. The bare min is 200hrs with CPL.

Flyshechu
27th Sep 2022, 05:19
If you have a green card or American citizen stay where you are. There is an unprecedented pilot shortage in the US, try to find a job where you can build hrs and as soon as you reach ATP mins the regionals will fight to take you.

However if you still want to join SIA then you already meet the min requirements. The bare min is 200hrs with CPL.
This really raises my hope! Thanks!

Ansharted
30th Sep 2022, 07:55
Any further news on the recruitment?

flapoperator350
7th Oct 2022, 09:34
Any calls for the interviews yet?
been almost a month for the application now i guess.

Whispering Giant
13th Oct 2022, 19:31
Just wondering if anyone who has applied has heard anything yet ?, or if they are waiting till they close the vacancy before calling people for interviews.

cruisepower
14th Oct 2022, 04:15
Just wondering if anyone who has applied has heard anything yet ?, or if they are waiting till they close the vacancy before calling people for interviews.

Nothing so far. Last time when they invited people for interview the vacancy was still open.

I am assuming expats would be the last in the list, they are probably waiting to see if they get enough locals and PRs to fill in the slots before calling expats.

Prospective_Pilot
20th Oct 2022, 12:16
Hi guys,

newbie here with 79 PIC hours and 279 total hours. Is it worth applying to Singapore or should I look at other opportunities? Need your opinions and feedback. Thanks

cruisepower
20th Oct 2022, 12:33
Hi guys,

newbie here with 79 PIC hours and 279 total hours. Is it worth applying to Singapore or should I look at other opportunities? Need your opinions and feedback. Thanks

You are not going to lose anything in applying. The min requirement is 250 hrs so you definitely meet the requirement. Give it a go! you never know what life has for you.

777JockeyIN
20th Oct 2022, 14:16
You are not going to lose anything in applying. The min requirement is 250 hrs so you definitely meet the requirement. Give it a go! you never know what life has for you.

These days HR of most airlines are so stupid that they’d hire a 250 hr young pilot than a 10,000 hrs middle age pilot with jet time and blah blah blah. So you never know. Best of luck.

cruisepower
20th Oct 2022, 14:23
These days HR of most airlines are so stupid that they’d hire a 250 hr young pilot than a 10,000 hrs middle age pilot with jet time and blah blah blah. So you never know. Best of luck.

they are not stupid. He will get hired as a Second officer. SQ hires hundreds of 250hr pilots very year and it has been the case for decades.

Everyone has to start somewhere right? No one is born with 10,000 hrs. That experienced pilots was once a 250hr young pilot so it's important we respect everyone as we all know how frustrating is to get that first job after flight school.

All the best to everyone don't stop trying. YOU NEVER KNOW.

777JockeyIN
20th Oct 2022, 15:53
Example 1 Some HR these days are hiring a type rated FO with 1000hrs/500 on type over some one who has 1000s of hours on multiple jets
Example 2 A Type rated capt with 500pic over someone who has flown multiple widebody jets with 1000s of pic hrs. At least in these two years.

HR ARE STUPID. At least in Asia, where I live. I can’t comment about EU/US or elsewhere.

I’m not trying to offend anyone.So hold your horses and relax. And 250 hr guys doesn’t have to start directly on 777/350/380. They should rather start as a CFI/Turbo prop/FO or at least a 737FO , like most of us. Get some hands on stick and rudder skills before you move on to FBW. My opinion. Eventually automation will catch up but a this has to happen at least till then, for now.

chao

Safe skies

cruisepower
20th Oct 2022, 16:12
Example 1 Some HR these days are hiring a type rated FO with 1000hrs/500 on type over some one who has 1000s of hours on multiple jets
Example 2 A Type rated capt with 500pic over someone who has flown multiple widebody jets with 1000s of pic hrs. At least in these two years.

HR ARE STUPID. At least in Asia, where I live. I can’t comment about EU/US or elsewhere.

I’m not trying to offend anyone.So hold your horses and relax. And 250 hr guys doesn’t have to start directly on 777/350/380. They should rather start as a CFI/Turbo prop/FO or at least a 737FO , like most of us. Get some hands on stick and rudder skills before you move on to FBW. My opinion. Eventually automation will catch up but a this has to happen at least till then, for now.

chao

Safe skies

You should understand that in countries like Singapore, Middle East, India etc there is virtually no general Aviation, turboprop operators or flight schools where the pilots can build hours. So only option for them is to go directly on the jet. With the correct training program and resource these young pilots are well onto their way to the left seat in the near future. These airlines are doing fine, so you can sit back and relax.

Maybe you should think about going back to Europe or US if you still think HR are stupid.

Anyways, All the best to all the young new pilots, good luck in becoming a second officer on the A350 or the B777 at Singapore airlines. Also all the best to experienced pilots looking to join as FO.

777JockeyIN
20th Oct 2022, 16:45
Read up on AF447.

Perspectives always differ. My comment was not about SIA HR but HR of some Asian companies.
No worries mate. I applied for SIA when I didn’t have a job. Now that I have a left seat job, I wouldn’t care anymore about any right seat widebody job.

My comment is only About HR who have no real idea about aviation or pilots. And not about pilots per se.

cheers to everyone who are applying 👍🏼

Whispering Giant
2nd Nov 2022, 07:39
DHC-7, your not the only one. I applied on the first day recruitment opened and have heard nothing so far and as far as I know from reading in other forums no one so far has been contacted.

cruisepower
5th Nov 2022, 08:35
Heard some people have started getting rejection emails. This applied to direct entry second officers, not sure about first officers .

Any one got any email? Good or bad?

p_alleyne
5th Nov 2022, 14:24
Good day,

I also applied for DESO a couple months ago. No correspondence as of yet and application still says “Submitted”. Fingers crossed for all of us.

A question out of curiosity, does anyone know if successful what fleet you are likely to be assigned?

cruisepower
5th Nov 2022, 14:53
Good day,

I also applied for DESO a couple months ago. No correspondence as of yet and application still says “Submitted”. Fingers crossed for all of us.

A question out of curiosity, does anyone know if successful what fleet you are likely to be assigned?

When I did the interview pre-covid they said it can be on any aircraft except the A380. However they added that they were planning mostly for the B737 max but since there was delays due to max grounding most guys in the previous batches before I did the interview went on the B777.

p_alleyne
5th Nov 2022, 15:14
When I did the interview pre-covid they said it can be on any aircraft except the A380. However they added that they were planning mostly for the B737 max but since there was delays due to max grounding most guys in the previous batches before I did the interview went on the B777.

Thanks for the swift reply, the MAX sounds good and makes sense with the absorption of Silk Air. All the best and hope you hear back from them once more.

IWillFlyForFood
6th Nov 2022, 01:06
Heard the guys who got the call pre-covid will be prioritized for interviews again this time round, followed by everyone else who applied post covid.

cruisepower fingers crossed hopefully you get a call soon!

Applied DESO within the first week of advertisement but status still listed as "submitted". I think the next stage if you are considered will be "under review"

Sharklet
7th Nov 2022, 12:42
Hello all,
I had raised a query here some time ago about the visual acuity requirements specified on the job listing. After consulting with the recruitment team, I was advised that those are internal company requirements, which are more restrictive than the CAAS requirements.

cruisepower
7th Nov 2022, 13:32
Heard the guys who got the call pre-covid will be prioritized for interviews again this time round, followed by everyone else who applied post covid.

cruisepower fingers crossed hopefully you get a call soon!

Applied DESO within the first week of advertisement but status still listed as "submitted". I think the next stage if you are considered will be "under review"

Hi if true then good news for those who have attended previously and waiting. But at the same time I hope they start calling new guys for the assessment.

cruisepower
7th Nov 2022, 13:37
Hello all,
I had raised a query here some time ago about the visual acuity requirements specified on the job listing. After consulting with the recruitment team, I was advised that those are internal company requirements, which are more restrictive than the CAAS requirements.

Yes you are correct. There are techinaly 2 medicals. After you complete your Class 1, your medical will be reviewed and reassessed by SIA doctors. The SIA requirement are more restrictive for eg the earing loss for authority is 50db but SIA its 30db

There are people who pass the Class 1 but can fail the SIA medical. The eye test itself is very detailed so any issues the doctors at the class 1 medical will let you know.

Sharklet
7th Nov 2022, 15:53
Yes you are correct. There are techinaly 2 medicals. After you complete your Class 1, your medical will be reviewed and reassessed by SIA doctors. The SIA requirement are more restrictive for eg the earing loss for authority is 50db but SIA its 30db

There are people who pass the Class 1 but can fail the SIA medical. The eye test itself is very detailed so any issues the doctors at the class 1 medical will let you know.

Thanks for this insight. I didn't know it extended to other areas of the medical. All the best to those applying!

PapaEchoIndia
22nd Nov 2022, 22:09
I presume it is quite long, but any info about upgrading to the left seat for expat DEFOs?

extinctzz
23rd Nov 2022, 13:21
Anyone know how many rounds of interviews are there? I was invited to interview and had to give a reply if I'm able to attend on the same day I received the email. But was told that its only an interview. No simulator for the day.

cruisepower
24th Nov 2022, 09:49
Anyone know how many rounds of interviews are there? I was invited to interview and had to give a reply if I'm able to attend on the same day I received the email. But was told that its only an interview. No simulator for the day.

Kindly mention if you are invited for FO or SO?

The interview process for both the FO and SO are same. 1st stage is video interview, there will be a panel of about 5 people asking you questions. It's straight forward. They will invite you to Singapore if you pass this stage at their own cost.

2nd stage is the simulator assessment, for SO no emergency but full manual flying but for FOs they have emergency like RTO engine failure etc.

3rd is medical.

4th is license conversion. For CPL its longer for ATP is shorter.

Flylaw
24th Nov 2022, 13:21
I got an e mail for DEFO saying I am shortlisted and asking me to submit some further information and documents. I am a PR with over 5,000 hours A320 time. Anyone else who got the same e mail please DM me.

extinctzz
24th Nov 2022, 15:13
DEFO, I was informed that it's only an approx 2hour interview on the appointed day. So based on what you said I guess that's only the 1st round. And if you passed then simulator then medical and so on.

flapoperator350
25th Nov 2022, 10:00
Any DEFO applicants been contacted? Non PR..
I am a foreign national with 3500 tt on Airbus Non PR, application still says "submitted"

AltoCuSurfer
28th Nov 2022, 06:27
Hey guys,
For info - NONE of the foreign nationals (~160 Scoot/SQ combined) that were retrenched in September 2020 have been called back or asked to re-apply. Those that have re-applied, without PR status - have NOT received a reply/offer to interview. @SQ, many of the FO's that were retrenched were in fact hired as Cadet Pilots by SQ; and even they have not been called back. It appears that any hiring effort is concentrated on locals (nationals + PR) only at this stage... They have also ramped up hiring of direct entry cadets (Nationals + PR) also for both Scoot and SQ.

If no one from the non-national list has been called up - its seems fair to say that they are name-collecting and not actually hiring foreigners at this stage. Seems odd that they would even try to even advertise - but this is how it has played out..

Cathay on the other hand IS hiring - and although the t&cs seem far less than before... the chances to keep your careers and licenses alive seem better there for now..

Arfolf
29th Nov 2022, 03:59
Any DEFO applicants been contacted? Non PR..
I am a foreign national with 3500 tt on Airbus Non PR, application still says "submitted"

PMed.

cruisepower
30th Nov 2022, 04:43
Hey guys,
For info - NONE of the foreign nationals (~160 Scoot/SQ combined) that were retrenched in September 2020 have been called back or asked to re-apply. Those that have re-applied, without PR status - have NOT received a reply/offer to interview. @SQ, many of the FO's that were retrenched were in fact hired as Cadet Pilots by SQ; and even they have not been called back. It appears that any hiring effort is concentrated on locals (nationals + PR) only at this stage... They have also ramped up hiring of direct entry cadets (Nationals + PR) also for both Scoot and SQ.

If no one from the non-national list has been called up - its seems fair to say that they are name-collecting and not actually hiring foreigners at this stage. Seems odd that they would even try to even advertise - but this is how it has played out..

Cathay on the other hand IS hiring - and although the t&cs seem far less than before... the chances to keep your careers and licenses alive seem better there for now..

Yea what you are saying it's true. Many former employees still haven't been called out. So it could be a long waiting game for us especially DESO.

However SQ Is set to expand its network and increase frequencies so let's hope all goes fast all of us here.

bnwnp
30th Nov 2022, 05:43
Any expats got called ?

AltoCuSurfer
6th Dec 2022, 01:19
Maybe March/April 2023 at earliest... Notice that the advertisement went up on LinkedIn again. Fingers crossed!

legendhasit
7th Dec 2022, 01:36
Hey guys,

Source?

AltoCuSurfer
8th Dec 2022, 01:57
Direct from a group of the affected Pilots back here in Australia. Most of them are headed to the USA under the E3 scheme.

Standfor
22nd Dec 2022, 12:55
Can anyone confirm that it's not possible to update/modify the current application once is submitted?

RealSatoshi
23rd Dec 2022, 06:55
By and large, things will have to change significantly for the group to have any chance of crewing 50 x ERJ's in one of the most expensive places on earth, to live and play :sad:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-14/embraer-in-talks-to-sell-regional-jets-to-singapore-air-unit?leadSource=uverify%20wall

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x462/screenshot_2022_12_23_at_15_53_20_f18134fcd403f15468d338a7b3 131152b4a7ad4a.png

Arfolf
27th Dec 2022, 02:10
Has anyone done a video interview for DEFO recently? Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

DC1996
27th Dec 2022, 02:22
Is anyone able to tell me what the FO package is for expat meeting their requirements? I have heard $100k SGD but that seems pretty poor to me.

cruisepower
28th Dec 2022, 06:08
Is anyone able to tell me what the FO package is for expat meeting their requirements? I have heard $100k SGD but that seems pretty poor to me.

between 8000 to 11000 sing dollars

Saul.Goodman
26th Jan 2023, 08:45
Hey all,

What's the latest over at SQ for DEFO's? Just got my application in. Figured it's a long shot, but we will see. About 4,000 TT with about 1500 of that US Part 121 time.

Is commuting permitted on own time? Say, if one were living in a nearby Asian country, with a few options a day for a flight to SIN, would this be allowed or strictly prohibited?

How are rosters looking for the more junior FO's? Bidding for trips, reserve, etc?

cruisepower
26th Jan 2023, 10:52
Hey all,

What's the latest over at SQ for DEFO's? Just got my application in. Figured it's a long shot, but we will see. About 4,000 TT with about 1500 of that US Part 121 time.

Is commuting permitted on own time? Say, if one were living in a nearby Asian country, with a few options a day for a flight to SIN, would this be allowed or strictly prohibited?

How are rosters looking for the more junior FO's? Bidding for trips, reserve, etc?

Looks like everything is moving a bit slow in terms of expat pilots. Myself been waiting for a while to be called.

As far as I know it's not a commuting contract. You might get more off days if you are on the B777 or A350 but on the 737 off days are less. You are free to go anywhere during your days off but at your own risk.

However good news is the airline is doing well and they need pilots. The question now is how many they will hire outside singapore.

Saul.Goodman
26th Jan 2023, 11:10
Looks like everything is moving a bit slow in terms of expat pilots. Myself been waiting for a while to be called.

How long have you been waiting for mate? Best of luck for your application.

Yeah I was kind of hoping to see what a typical month in the life of a relatively junior FO at SQ looks like. This way I could gauge how often I'd be able to get back home during days off.

cruisepower
27th Jan 2023, 06:48

Yeah I was kind of hoping to see what a typical month in the life of a relatively junior FO at SQ looks like. This way I could gauge how often I'd be able to get back home during days off.

I did interview for SO before covid. Was about the join then covid struck. Was told to re apply again so still waiting for the call.

I did speak to some pilots working there, company is good and roster is decent except on the 737 but if you want to commute very far let's say Euripe or US then it's difficult but if you living around the Asian region or India then it's doable. Rosters seems to be more or less random but you can swap.

However it's best for someone who is currently working there to give the exact picture about it now.

Saul.Goodman
27th Jan 2023, 07:01
I did interview for SO before covid. Was about the join then covid struck. Was told to re apply again so still waiting for the call.
Good to hear. Hopefully you have some positive news coming your way!

BrunoDPP
31st Jan 2023, 06:40
Hello, everyone!
Im also curious to know if any expats who applied in the past 60 days have anything new to share with us. My application was sent around a month ago. Currently hold a Frozen ATPL, with 4200 TT, of which 3300 are on 737s.
Thank you! And best of luck for those who are also waiting for an email haha.

Cheers!

Flyinghigh320
3rd Feb 2023, 16:50
I believe they are over staffed now, Unlikely they will hire this year.

maxconthrust
5th Mar 2023, 04:15

You will not be getting anywhere near enough consecutive days off to be able to commute anywhere further than 6 hours away. ID travel is not going to be reliable since loads are averaging >85%.

Trip bids? Forget about it. There is a system, but the system doesn't give a sh*t about your seniority (how many points you bid), it only considers if the algo (extremely buggy and often schedules illegal/non compliant trips) views your roster as "optimal". You get 2 "off day bids" or 1 trip bid per month. If you bid 1 day off, you don't get a trip bid. If you bid a trip, you don't get to bid a day off. And it doesn't care if your bid is successful.

On the mandatory CLA days off (2 a week), you are required to inform the company if you leave base. On days above and beyond the CLA days off, you are required to seek permission.

Fly3
6th Mar 2023, 01:20
Having worked there for over ten years I totally agreed with everything stated. In addition, while I was there, if rostering saw that you had three or four days "off" they immediately rostered "stand by" periods to ensure that you could not go anywhere.

dabz
6th Mar 2023, 10:16
Singapore Air has such a good product and reputation in the flying publics eyes.

Under the covers it seems they treat their crew like rubbish ... place needs to be burnt to the ground....

Climbpowder
7th Mar 2023, 08:45
I believe they are over staffed now, Unlikely they will hire this year. seems so, i also applied with no response at all

FIGJAMX
8th Mar 2023, 05:52
Last I heard, they are short on staff and are working with the local ministry of labour. The ministry wants them to go after the locals first for obvious reasons but they believe they have exhausted all of the local resources. So I guess now it's a matter of time before the ministry allow them to start calling up expats. fingers crossed

smiling monkey
9th Mar 2023, 00:37
Hello, everyone!
Im also curious to know if any expats who applied in the past 60 days have anything new to share with us. My application was sent around a month ago. Currently hold a Frozen ATPL, with 4200 TT, of which 3300 are on 737s.
Thank you! And best of luck for those who are also waiting for an email haha.

Cheers!

Why frozen ATPL with 4200TT? Most jurisdictions would 'unfreeze' at 1500 hours?

mrmacp
19th Mar 2023, 06:04
Arfolf, your storage is full, cannot send you a pm.

BrunoDPP
20th Mar 2023, 20:41
Brazilian legislation requires at least 1500h, but 250 of those must be logged as PIC (or 500h as "supervised pilot in command"). All my professional flying time is logged as SIC (800 as LJ35 FO, 3400 on the 737). So what many of us do here in Brazil is log those hours under supervision during our upgrade to captain, when flying with an instructor. Other than that, I would need to pay for roughly 100h on a Cessna in a Flight School in order to get the License :bored: :ugh:

mrmacp
22nd Mar 2023, 03:20
Hey all,
Received an email last week from SIA Recruitment. I'm DEFO applicant, non PR. Applied in October '22.
Online profile Review Status has changed to 'In Review'
Have been asked to submit further documentation.
Can I ask for anyone who has been through the DEFO process lately (PR or non) to message me please. Would like to get some info on the interview and whole process please.

For those of you who have been asking about how to update your online application - I just withdrew my application and submitted a new, updated one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

legendhasit
23rd Mar 2023, 00:49
Just to clarify you are Non PR as Singaporean or Non PR as a foreigner ? This is great news! Hope everything goes well

mrmacp
24th Mar 2023, 05:49
Thanks.

Non PR as foreigner.

Jbrownie
25th Mar 2023, 04:30
is that after tax? That’s crap!

swh
25th Mar 2023, 12:08

I take it that is the rent allowance, what is the salary ?

fighterkok
27th Mar 2023, 05:13
You're on local terms apparently. No rent, no school no nothing and still there are many foreigners jumping over themselves to get in.

SM, think SWH was just being sarcastic. SQ have never really had expat FO salary packages, except briefly in SQC they had some on expat terms. The only folks on a full expat package were DECs who were on a 5 year renewal contract. Those were all pretty much history by 2012/13.

This job will be great for young single/folks without kids. Get some quality experience and then look for better opportunities out there. The only way to survive long term will be to adapt to the local lifestyle and live like a local. Forget any "expat" treatment/entitlement. Contrary to popular belief, they have plenty of pilots waiting to join on the terms on offer to live in one of the most expensive place on the planet.

ridzuanbinmazlan
20th Jul 2023, 18:12
Hi everyone, crazy but interesting question, im from Malaysia, specifically Johor Bahru, my house from changi area if by public transport will take around 1-2 hours during non peak hours. can be more during peak hours but thats not my point. i want to ask if is it possible like for my Days Off like i just go back to home for like 1 day(depends how long is the day off) see my wife and kids, then come back to prepare for the next flight.

cruisepower
21st Jul 2023, 02:46
Hey all,
Received an email last week from SIA Recruitment. I'm DEFO applicant, non PR. Applied in October '22.
Online profile Review Status has changed to 'In Review'
Have been asked to submit further documentation.
Can I ask for anyone who has been through the DEFO process lately (PR or non) to message me please. Would like to get some info on the interview and whole process please.

For those of you who have been asking about how to update your online application - I just withdrew my application and submitted a new, updated one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Congrats on the invitation, any updates from your side? Did you go througj the interview?

cruisepower
21st Jul 2023, 02:46
Hi everyone, crazy but interesting question, im from Malaysia, specifically Johor Bahru, my house from changi area if by public transport will take around 1-2 hours during non peak hours. can be more during peak hours but thats not my point. i want to ask if is it possible like for my Days Off like i just go back to home for like 1 day(depends how long is the day off) see my wife and kids, then come back to prepare for the next flight.

Of course you can, its your day off do whatever you want as long as you are back for your next flight.

Xam737
27th Jul 2023, 09:09
is that after tax? That’s crap!

Thats putting it mildly!
The whole industry is crap nowadays. People are nuts selling themselves for such poor coin. They won’t last long, eventually, the penny will drop and they will start complaining for more money. I’ve seen it all before. And as for getting some experience and going elsewhere, there is no where else to go. Crap paying flying jobs are everywhere! Your ‘experience’ is not worth anything anymore. Thank goodness I’m retired.

ridzuanbinmazlan
27th Jul 2023, 12:47
Does anyone know SIA pilot Staff travel benefits, ID90/50, does it includes parents/siblings/inlaws?

cruisepower
1st Aug 2023, 09:45
SIA is hiring direct entry captains now looks like they are desperate now. They haven't hired direct entry captakn for a very long time.

Stallone
1st Aug 2023, 10:10
Meanwhile, their track to command for FO is 15yrs

hamil
1st Aug 2023, 15:27
Is 62 the maximum age at SIA?

Broomstick Flier
1st Aug 2023, 17:06
Hi
I applied to the DEFO position six months ago and up to now my status on the website remains as "submitted", is this a normal time for them to even take a look into the information?
The job sites are full of ads from them, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to review the candidate's profiles.

Ronand
1st Aug 2023, 17:32
HI guys, does anybody know what the take home sallary for captains are. ( I meet all the rewquirements and have PIC experience on 737 and 330.
I have no idea what salary a captain can expect at singapore airlines, any clues?

Jonly
1st Aug 2023, 18:44
Anyone can share any recent experience on the airline? Might take a shot at it, but would like to know some info in advance.

much appreciated!

happy flying

Oliver72
9th Aug 2023, 09:10
HI guys, does anybody know what the take home sallary for captains are. ( I meet all the rewquirements and have PIC experience on 737 and 330.
I have no idea what salary a captain can expect at singapore airlines, any clues?

same question, have you found something about the salary and conditions for DEC?

cruisepower
9th Aug 2023, 09:49
same question, have you found something about the salary and conditions for DEC?

Before Covid it was around 16k-20k Sing dollar. The current one unsure.

Interstellar77
14th Aug 2023, 12:06
Hello to everybody,I’m interested in DEC position, is possible to have more information about T/C?
Is possible to commute?
thank you

Oliver72
20th Aug 2023, 18:16
Hello to everybody,I’m interested in DEC position, is possible to have more information about T/C?
Is possible to commute?
thank you

looking for those info as well, can't find anything relevant online

Flyboysg
21st Aug 2023, 00:30
Is possible to commute?
thank you

Basic 12.7k Sgd, the allowance is quite complicated depending if it's 2/3/4 crew for the flight. Junior Capt used to take back about 16-20k pre covid depending on fleet. Bulk of allowance earned was layover allowances. As for commuting, everyone is local contract there's no string off days. Ppl have tried commuting from across the causeway before but it's tiring and the jam is a risk. Also before 10yrs service it's id75 standby tickets after 10 yrs then u will get id90.

flamingmoe
21st Aug 2023, 02:00
Basic 12.7k Sgd, the allowance is quite complicated depending if it's 2/3/4 crew for the flight. Junior Capt used to take back about 16-20k pre covid depending on fleet. Bulk of allowance earned was layover allowances. As for commuting, everyone is local contract there's no string of days. Ppl have tried commuting from across the causeway before but it's tiring and the jam is a risk. Also before 10yrs service it's id75 standby tickets after 10 yrs then u will get id90.

I’d be amazed if that will attract anyone to the worlds most expensive city, half that will go on rent alone.

Flyboysg
21st Aug 2023, 02:48
I’d be amazed if that will attract anyone to the worlds most expensive city, half that will go on rent alone.
Well, the indians love it here for some reason and it will definitely attract the neighbors for sure.