PDA

View Full Version : Excel opening as Read Only

SeldomFixit
22nd Aug 2018, 03:56
My Excel files open as read only and won't save added information. Trying to save PDF, asking for Admin permission ( I am ). Rename folder results in same Admin request.
I suspect these are all related to Bitdefender getting too big for its boots but whereas granting application access permission has solved this in the past, it is no longer doing so.
Win 10. Bitdefender Total security 2018 Office 2016. I've unchecked the read only tabs in the individual application properties.
Any and all suggestions welcome. SF

FullOppositeRudder
23rd Aug 2018, 00:19
Perhaps start with a Google search based on "excel locked in read only". There are a variety of solutions canvassed out there; too many to point to any one page as having the definitive answer.

FOR

SeldomFixit
23rd Aug 2018, 00:32
Thanks FOR. Been there and got the T shirt. That's why I've turned to the good bods on PPRuNe
:ok:

noughtsnones
24th Aug 2018, 14:13
It might be possible to accidentally lose the properties by saving a copy first in the open format of LibreOffice Calc (https://www.libreoffice.org), then opening the revision in EXCEL. This may also lose any other embedded EXCEL particular functions!
0'n'1

SeldomFixit
4th Sep 2018, 02:06
Thanks for the replies folks. As I suspected, BitDefender was the culprit. Running a reinstall on that fixed the issue. Now I'll just wait for it to do it again :rolleyes:

FullOppositeRudder
4th Sep 2018, 10:22
Thanks for getting back to us with the answer :ok:. Some of these programs / applications are much more "helpful" than they need to be.

FOR