PDA

View Full Version : Windows key

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Aug 2018, 01:38
Have pressed "something " on my laptop and now the "Windows" key is sterile, i.e. it no longer brings up the start menu, or allows combinations, like Windows + D to return me to the desktop, or Windows + X to give me the re-start, shut down menu.

Windows H'eight ( 8.1 I think )

No amount of re-starting, unplugging etc. seems to work, participants in another forum have made helpful suggestions, but nothing seems to restore the function of the Windows key.

Any clues ?

PJD1
22nd Aug 2018, 07:52
The only way I know of that the windows key can be disabled / enabled is via the registry, this can be done either by manually editing the registry or downloading a registry file - info on this is here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/216893/how-to-enable-or-disable-the-keyboard-windows-key

It seems unlikely that you could have disabled it accidentally by this method so the only other thing I can think of is that the key itself is faulty and not making contact when pressed. You could test this if you have a USB keyboard from a desktop computer by plugging it into the laptop and seeing if the Windows key on that works.

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Aug 2018, 07:57
Good idea, will try that.

I followed the Microsoft Support advice on enabling the Windows key as far as /Control Folder/ , but there was then no /Keyboard Layout Folder/ containing the next step, the /Scancode to enable the Windows Key / folder, to I was stymied.

OldLurker
22nd Aug 2018, 14:37
As PJD1 suggests, it could be that the key itself has stopped working for some reason. Did you spill something on the keyboard or drop crumbs into it? I have an old laptop where the right cursor key has stopped workng for that sort of reason – I've never bothered to try to fix it, just work around.
If this was a desktop with a separate keyboard I'd suggest turning the keyboard upside down and shaking vigorously. Since this is a laptop, either find out how to remove the keyboard yourself on that particular model (it's usually fairly straightforward), or take it to a repair shop for them to do it.

Helix Von Smelix
22nd Aug 2018, 18:17
Any changes to keyboard type, or country in Control Panel?

PJD1
22nd Aug 2018, 18:29
Any changes to keyboard type, or country in Control Panel?

That won't affect the Windows key - it does the same thing in all languages. :)

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Aug 2018, 22:20
PJD1 Brilliant ! Sadly ! Another keyboard works OK. Many thanks.

PJD1
23rd Aug 2018, 07:59
PJD1 Brilliant ! Sadly ! Another keyboard works OK. Many thanks.

You're welcome. Depending on the model of the laptop it may be relatively simple to replace the keyboard, usually it just involves removing the top cover from around the keyboard, undoing a few screws and unplugging the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard module. The keyboard modules are typically not expensive and can often be bought for £10 - £15. eBay is usually a good source for the modules and a search on the internet will probably find instructions for how to replace it on your laptop model.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Aug 2018, 08:23
Mmm ? HP ProBook 4540s Not a lot of screws in sight !

I'm more of a user than a builder, but thanx anyway.

PJD1
24th Aug 2018, 09:13
Replacement keyboards are £14 on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Probook-4540-4540S-4545-4545S-Laptop-Keyboard-UK-Black-639396-051-702237-031/183143431571?hash=item2aa432fd93:g:LUEAAOSwUBpatS3a

Instructions to replace are here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb44CWvZSGA

Looks fairly straightforward or I'm sure a local computer repair shop would be able to do it for you if you didn't want to attempt it yourself.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Aug 2018, 07:38
Thanx, may investigate, more of an irritation than a disaster, only use a couple of the shutcuts.