PDA

View Full Version : Any Helicopter Simulator In Sydney??

Anish Adhikari
21st Aug 2018, 12:02
Hi, I am helicopter passionate. Its my dream to become a helicopter pilot. I am looking for any simulator for hire or rental use in sydney area. I am looking for cheap rate. I only find Helisim Australia located at Bankstown Airport. Its hourly rate is 150$.

i am looking for even cheap rate.

or Does anyone have cheap home helicopter simulator controls?

Ramjet555
22nd Aug 2018, 04:23
First, I'm not a helicopter pilot, but have had the odd opportunity in positioning flights and on a home sim.

You have lots of options.
Try X-Plane 11. Invest in a very good video card, a very good computer maxed out with ram. You will need it.

With an X-52 stick (or better) and throttle you can configure the throttle handle as a "torque" control
and the stick without modifying. To make it more realistic, you can open it up, and run the 30 odd wires thru a length
of PVC tubing, use 4 hyd actuators to dampen and keep the stick centered or as a form of trim.

Don't bother with a single screen. For a helicopter, you need THREE SCREENS and even then, its not going to provide the amount of vision you need but its much better than a single screen.

I would strongly suggest that you get a Helicopter instructor for your first few hours at least on the helicopter simulator and you want to develop the right habits of looking in the right manner etc. It's really important to stay "relaxed", sometimes two fingers on the stick, little tiny circles, and look at the horizon are typical instructions I recall getting that made a world of difference in being able to fly a helicopter simulator.

You will need to constantly recalibrate the controls. Anytime you start it up, re-calibrate. Treat it seriously, make sure you know your principles of flight that is almost an entirely different world to fixed wing.

However, if you go back to fixed wing after flying a helicopter sim, you will notice a vast improvement in flying accuracy.

There are commercial controls set up for home helicopter simulators that are for the more serious.
If you are going to fly real helicopters then a good simulator will allow you to develop the muscle memory
that can only happen with time and practice.

Hopefully a real helicopter instructor will post some other advice for you.