PDA

View Full Version : Whiteboards used as Gatwick flight info screens fail

Alanwsg
20th Aug 2018, 10:15
From Sky news ...
https://news.sky.com/story/whiteboards-used-as-gatwick-flight-info-screens-fail-11477470

Peter47
21st Aug 2018, 18:14
Its a problem airside, would you notice the difference with the landside monitors which don't tell you anything about delays, cancellations, etc?

edi_local
22nd Aug 2018, 10:03
Seems to be a perfectly sensible contingency. Put the whiteboards where there are screens, i.e. where people would normally go for such information. I really don't see an issue. This was obviously used as an absolute last resort when all attempts to fix the issue quickly had been exhausted. I remember this happening at LHR once not long after (new) T2 opened. Really wasn't a big deal.

"There was frustration among some passengers who described walking to wrong gates or having their flights delayed."

Breaking news: On any average day at an airport when the screens ARE working, passengers walk to the wrong gates and flights are delayed.

I read reports about it being "carnage". Do the people who use these words even know what carnage means?

esa-aardvark
22nd Aug 2018, 21:11
As someone who managed a very large computer system many year ago
I would not have achieved my KPI with this performance. What about duplicate
systems, network resilience ?....

Atlas Shrugged
23rd Aug 2018, 03:49

Many years ago, there was no such thing as KPI...!!!! ;)

esa-aardvark
23rd Aug 2018, 12:09
Atlas - re KPI, I translated for younger readers. In my annual assessment I was told what I had to achieve,
mostly overtaken by circumstances, and management help.

PAXboy
23rd Aug 2018, 12:40
esa-aarvark Spot on. Life moves so fast now that even a one year plan is irrelevant. You can plan for three months but your manager will walk in the next day and tell you that everythig has changed.

PDR1
23rd Aug 2018, 13:05

As someone who has been a customer/user of many very large managed computer systems I would say that in my experience it's an industry that sets itself extremely low performance standards which it then consistently fails to achieve, so I'm not really sure it can be held up as a reference benchmark here...

PDR