PDA

View Full Version : Civil Aviation Act - Will the CASA Chairman support change??

LeadSled
20th Aug 2018, 03:18
A direct question to the new chairman of the CASA Board: Mr. Mathews, do you support the changes to the Act agreed by Barnaby Joyce and Anthony Albanese??

A simple and direct public statement will do --- all of us know, and have known for years, that the Act must change.

If NOT, WHY NOT??

But, most of us have know for the same years that the present Act seriously inhibits aviation in Australia, including aviation safety ---- By IGNORING the cost of so called "air safety" regulation that, in fact, seldom has anything to do with air safety. The arrant fiction that cost has no bearing on safety, that cost cannot be considered where "air safety" is concerned, that CASA is not a root cause of the lamentable state of aviation in Australia.

So, is Tony Mathews, a person with a long time involvement in aviation, going to support critically vital change to the Act, that CASA must consider cost, must do honest benefit/cost justification, or is he just there to do nothing??

Tootle pip!!

Aussie Bob
20th Aug 2018, 03:58
So, is Tony Mathews, a person with a long time involvement in aviation, going to support critically vital change to the Act, that CASA must consider cost, must do honest benefit/cost justification, or is he just there to do nothing??
He will do nothing. These cushy little Government jobs are not for folk that rock boats.

Horatio Leafblower
20th Aug 2018, 04:38
Mr. Mathews, do you support the changes to the Act agreed by Barnaby Joyce and Anthony Albanese??

Why on earth would the L/NP appoint someone to chair a board if they didn't know exactly where he would stand, or know that they could control him?

...and as others have pointed out, how much power do we think the board (and particularly, the Chairman) actually has over the operations of the (lack of) "Safety Authority"?

Okihara
20th Aug 2018, 06:45
Does any of the CASA C- level staff actually do any regular flying themselves? I just spent a few minutes on the CASA website and, if so, this is far from obvious me.

I'm seriously asking myself how this can possibly not be detrimental. Ask doctors how they'd feel if their governing bodies were run by politicians and not peers.

Lead Balloon
20th Aug 2018, 10:12
Why on earth would the L/NP appoint someone to chair a board if they didn't know exactly where he would stand, or know that they could control him?

...and as others have pointed out, how much power do we think the board (and particularly, the Chairman) actually has over the operations of the (lack of) "Safety Authority"?There was a period during which CASA had no Board - the provisions of the Civil Aviation Act dealing with the Board were simply repealed. Differences for the “safety” of air navigation and efficiency of the regulatory “reform” program during that period? Zilch.

aroa
21st Aug 2018, 03:15
The good and experienced Mr Mathews may support change....BUT..with NON Ministers and the CAsA bureaucrazy well set up to oppose/resist/ whit-ant any logical changes...its a no-brainer....
It just wont happen ..because it CANT. The Fort is impregnable

Carbody's spiel in the latest Aust Flying show the extent of the reality disfunction in the Furzer St Fairyland.

cogwheel
21st Aug 2018, 09:42
Tony has a wealth of experience dealing with the regulator over years as both a chief pilot and regional airline manager. He certainly knows the issues and if anyone can influence a change for the better he has the experience and influence to do it. I expect there will be change but it won’t be overnight. Let’s give him the opportunity. Industry have nothing to loose.

Dick Smith
21st Aug 2018, 10:01
Then let’s see if he promptly makes a clear statement that he supports the Joyce/Albanese proposed changes to the ACT.

Horatio Leafblower
21st Aug 2018, 10:04
Tony has a wealth of experience dealing with the regulator over years as both a chief pilot and regional airline manager. He certainly knows the issues and if anyone can influence a change for the better he has the experience and influence to do it. I expect there will be change but it won’t be overnight. Let’s give him the opportunity. Industry have nothing to loose lose.

I seem to recall we all said exactly the same thing when Jeff Boyd was appointed as puppet Chairman.

Lead Balloon
21st Aug 2018, 10:15
Tony has a wealth of experience dealing with the regulator over years as both a chief pilot and regional airline manager. He certainly knows the issues and if anyone can influence a change for the better he has the experience and influence to do it. I expect there will be change but it won’t be overnight. Let’s give him the opportunity. Industry have nothing to loose.How does the Chairman of CASA change anything?

How?

Walk me through the Board meeting and resolution process that results in any change to the regulatory regime, the regulatory ‘reform’ process, the overreaching Avmed zealots or any other matter of substance you want to nominate.

How?