PDA

View Full Version : EASA private AOC ops

Journey Man
19th Aug 2018, 18:06
for those Part-CAT operators, how are you handling private flights with the advent of Part-NCC? Anyone using a specific reference to reduced landing factors in ops manual A?

Propellerpilot
20th Aug 2018, 12:35
I believe you are either operating the aircraft on commercial AOC (in accordance with the OM's) OR Part-NCC (specifically in accordance with the POM, limited to private ops) as approved by the regulator. If your company does not have an approved POM (private ops manual) - your commercial OMs will apply for private flights as well.

what next
20th Aug 2018, 12:46
I believe you are either operating the aircraft on commercial AOC (in accordance with the OM's) OR Part-NCC (specifically in accordance with the POM, limited to private ops) as approved by the regulator. If your company does not have an approved POM (private ops manual) - your commercial OMs will apply for private flights as well.

In principle yes, but the operating manuals of a commercial AOC can - with the approval of the competent authority of course - contain exceptions valid for private flights. Certain conditions must be met in order for the flight to be private, e.g. it must be paid for by the aircraft owner and he himself or members of his family must be on board. I have been operating like this for ten years now. On that type of flight the age limit for pilots may be raised above 65 and/or the landing factors lowered. However, as long as the pilots are paid for flying their FTLs remain unaffected. It has always been my understanding (haven't looked it up in the EASA rules yet) that duty and rest limitations apply as soon as a pilot receives "renumeration". No matter if he flies commercially, private or in the training sector.

Journey Man
20th Aug 2018, 15:21
We retain dispatch planning factor unless exemption authorised, in which case Part NCC applies.

My understanding was specific aircraft were on the AOC, or not on the AOC and operating under Part-NCC. In which case is there any specific regulation governing when an aircraft on the AOC can be operated according to Part-NCC? The neater solution would be to specify the exemptions for AOC aircraft in Op Manual Part A, rather than the clumsy referring AOC aircraft to Part-NCC.

We stick to FTL limitations for our operation as it is a mixture of CAT and private flights.

what next
20th Aug 2018, 16:02
The neater solution would be to specify the exemptions for AOC aircraft in Op Manual Part A, rather than the clumsy referring AOC aircraft to Part-NCC.

This is exactly how we have always been doing it. Pre and post EASA regulations. The aircraft always stays on the AOC, but for private flights, which are marked with "G" instead of "N" in the flight plan special exceptions, written down in the OM-A (pilot age limitations) and OM-B (landing factors), apply. The flight plan entries can be seen by anyone including SAFA inspectors so there can be no doubt about which kind of flight is being performed. The We do not use NCC factors (are there any?) but numbers negotiated between our company and the national authority. Our accountants must make sure that duty and taxes are paid on the fuel for those private flights, otherwise the tax office will become our worst enemy.

20th Aug 2018, 21:05
ORO.AOC.125 Non-commercial operations of aircraft listed in the operations specifications by the holder of an AOC
(a) The holder of an AOC may conduct non-commercial operations with an aircraft otherwise used for commercial air transport operations that is listed in the operations specifications of its AOC, provided that the operator:
(1) describes such operations in detail in the operations manual, including:
(i) identification of the applicable requirements;
(ii) a clear identification of any differences between operating procedures used when conducting commercial air transport and non-commercial operations;
(iii) a means of ensuring that all personnel involved in the operation are fully familiar with the associated procedures;
(2) submits the identified differences between the operating procedures referred to in (a)(1)(ii) to the competent authority for prior approval.
b) An AOC holder conducting operations referred to in (a) shall not be required to submit a declaration in accordance with this Part.

It means that part NCC has nothing to do with it. The only thing that counts is your OM, and hence your CAA gold plating posture. For instance part NCC requires a 45mn final reserve instead of 30mn for part CAT jet operators. What does your CAA think about it?

Hawker 800
20th Aug 2018, 22:36
It has always been my understanding (haven't looked it up in the EASA rules yet) that duty and rest limitations apply as soon as a pilot receives "renumeration". No matter if he flies commercially, private or in the training sector.

Can anyone confirm this? As far as I know, part NCC just have to have/implement a fatigue management plan.

Id really like to know what other operators are doing with respect to this. We have flown private with the owner of the aircraft whilst otherwise over duty hours if it were CAT OPS with a release certificate signed by all crew and the DFO or fleet manager.