PDA

View Full Version : Westland 606

chevvron
18th Aug 2018, 09:09
With the Lynx being 'retired' from AAC service, I am reminded of Westland's proposed civil version of many years ago called the '606'.
Never caught on but would it be a viable proposition to maybe re-furb some ex Army airframes for civil use?

diginagain
18th Aug 2018, 09:22
With the Lynx being 'retired' from AAC service, I am reminded of Westland's proposed civil version of many years ago called the '606'.
Never caught on but would it be a viable proposition to maybe re-furb some ex Army airframes for civil use?
Setting aside the fact that there's a very limited market for a rehashed small-ship-capable anti-tank midget hauler, any viable remains of the Lynx fleet have been incorporated into the Lynx 10 programme by now. What's left have been converted into paintball targets and camper-vans.

Evalu8ter
18th Aug 2018, 11:27
"What's left have been converted into paintball targets and camper-vans." - I knew, eventually, somebody would find a proper use for them….

diginagain
18th Aug 2018, 14:44
"What's left have been converted into paintball targets and camper-vans." - I knew, eventually, somebody would find a proper use for them….
To be fair, it was only marginally better than sleeping in a trench.

Two's in
18th Aug 2018, 14:46
But if you truly want the Lynx experience, just tape a 10lb concrete block to one side only of a spin dryer drum, cover your flying coveralls in engine oil, sit on top in a really narrow chair, and voila! The Lynx experience. You could do this outside in the rain while looking through welders goggles if you wanted to add the German factor.