PDA

View Full Version : CAP509's enlighten us!!!

Tarmach
30th Jul 2001, 02:16
In view to recent threads I would like a certain question addressing:

q: How did your CAP509 course help you to secure that elusive airline job??

Thanks,

Tarmach

fatboy slim
30th Jul 2001, 14:04
a: very nicely ta.

Graduated OATS dec 1999. Regional Jet F/O by May 2000. But i did do quite alot of flying PPL UAS (relatively) before the CAP509 course so i had 500 hrs rather than 170 on my cv.

Ennie
30th Jul 2001, 17:50
Helped greatly I'd say, Passed IR Feb, Interview March, Job offer April, due to start soon on T/Prop. :D

Chirpy Pilot
31st Jul 2001, 01:14
I was in my mid thirties. Done my research into the quickest way to the left hand seat, most airlines like 509ers. Good enough for me,started Oxford June 2000, went on to do an FIC rating straight away and was employed by a well known regional airline soon afterwards. If that is what the airlines wants give them it. :cool:

scroggs
31st Jul 2001, 01:56
Tarmach, you're asking the question of the wrong people! If you want to know why the airlines prefer 509ers, ask the airlines. What you're doing is a bit like asking my dinner why I prefer chips to fish!! :)

Tarmach
31st Jul 2001, 02:03
Scroggs,

Have you got Richard's phone number then?? :D :D

scroggs
1st Aug 2001, 02:17
Why? Do you think he knows what kind of pilots Virgin wants? Get real! He's a money man, not an aviator.
What I'm getting at is that it's no good asking current students what makes one course more attractive to an airline than another. At the very least you need to ask instructors with some years' experience of sending students to the airlines, and preferably you should get the opinions of the airline recruiters. Pprune is a massive resource; it's not just limited to wannabes. Why don't you try asking this question on the Questions Forum. You never know who might answer you!

NigelS
1st Aug 2001, 16:32
My understanding is that the modular route is relatively new. Surely airlines prefer CAP509ers at the moment because they're a tried and tested comodity compared to the modulars. I'm new to this game and still deciding which route to go (although modular seems the most do-able for me personally). So, if someone wants to contradict me... you're welcome.
Ciao

Jimmy Mack
1st Aug 2001, 19:05
So what would be preferable of these:

1) A CAP509 with approx 200 hours
2) A self-improver with 700 hours
3) An instructor with 700 hours?

scroggs
1st Aug 2001, 23:50
JimmyMack,
the fuss at the moment is over a BA CitiExpress ad requiring (for application) a graduate of either an integrated course plus 50 hours, or a modular course and 1000TT. Which is preferable will be entirely dependent on the characters of the individuals selected for interview, and the prejudices of the interview board.
If you're worried about which way to go, don't be. Very few 250-300 hour people get an airline job. The vast majority get their first job with at least 1000 hours under their belt, whichever way they trained. There will always be a lucky few, but if you can't afford the money to give you that (remote) possibility, don't worry about it!
For me, of your three options, 3) is the best. But I'm not going to be interviewing you - and I do believe that 1000 hours would be better still.... :)

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: scroggs ]