PDA

View Full Version : VS A340-600 Delivered

Denzil
27th Jul 2002, 13:00
At 00.45 this morning Virgins first A340-600 (G-VSHY) arrived at LHR from Toulouse. Aircraft will be visable outside the all new VS hangar at LHR over the next few days. Really is one very large aircraft, next one should arrive within the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Caslance
27th Jul 2002, 13:43
Are you sure it arrived from Toulouse?

I only ask because it was first reported at Heathrow on Monday last and took part in the flying display at the Farnborough Air Show all week.

sugarbird
27th Jul 2002, 15:18
'HY was delivered to LHR during the weekend of July 20/21-probably at night and was placed in the new Virgin hangar out of sight. Late on Sunday it was towed out so that the sophisticated launch party facility could be built. Once this dome was in place the aircraft was towed back in - unfortunately it wouldn't go all the way in.
At 6am the invited guests, VIPs and journos "checked in" at the Virgin desk in T3 and were directed to the Clubhouse for coffee and muffins. They were then taken to gate 2 and then onto buses for the drive out to the hangar. Because Virgin were very keen not to allow anyone to see the plane the windows of the buses were blacked out.
The bus drove into a small marquee and the guests made their way through a tunnel to the dome. During the walk voice overs mentioning the length of the aircraft and comparisons with various things were made. This theme continued as the crowd of about 300 waited for the main event, the arrival of the "bearded one" and the special guest. Rumours suggested this could be either Madonna or Kylie Minogue.
Did you know the A340-600 is longer than Cleopatra's Needle?
Did you know its longer than 39 elephants?
Did you know its longer than the world's longest football throw-in?
At about 8am Liberty X gave a rendition of their hit tune, no, it wasn't very good. Then the dome rose, acrobats, dancing girls and boys, stilt walkers and rope artists did their bit among dry ice.
Then the bearded one appeared, waved, pulled on a big zip and the plane, or at least the front third appeared.
It was then that supermodel Claudia Schiffer appeared and named the aircraft "Cloud Nine" - she crossed out cloud and wrote Claudia instead.
The media went mega wild!
Then we all scrambled aboard, sat in our seats, put on our red Virgin "mine's longer than yours" t-shirts and tootled off to Farnborough for the day. The 10-mile trip took 14 minutes flying time, 35 mins block to block.
Great day!

Denzil
27th Jul 2002, 15:52
I am fully aware of last weekends activities but if you had any observation skills you might have noticed that the aircraft was still using the Airbus "F" registration.

The aircraft arrived as detailed previously with a VS crew and its "G" reg direct from Toulouse.

mole
27th Jul 2002, 16:02
Visable? Is this Virgin speak for longer than yours?

Deeko01
27th Jul 2002, 16:17
Denzil,

Get a farkin life caslance was only asking a question no need to jump down his throat byt telling him he has no observation skills, probably surprises you but not everyone notices registrations on aircraft it could be PH-UKS for all anyone knew so dont assume everyone is a spotter like you ok. :mad:

OK

Whalerider
27th Jul 2002, 16:36
Not that it matters much but, yes at Farnborough had its French reg ---- on port side only - had G-VSHY on starboard - at least in the afternoon. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Caslance
27th Jul 2002, 16:58
Denzil,

My observational skills would be extraordinary indeed if I could see the registration of an A340 parked outside the Virgin Atlantic hangar at Heathrow all the way from sunny Salford.

Your final paragraph was the answer I was looking for, and was all that was required. For that, I thank you.

As for your other utterances, I'll leave you with the passing thought that your opinion of my observation skills now tallies with my own estimation of your social skills.:p

nojacketsrequired
27th Jul 2002, 17:54
Good to see Dickie and Co throw a big bash to celebrate the fact
they've got better engines to help them climb a bit quicker!!!!!

NJR. (Tongue in cheek!!) :D :D

hobie
27th Jul 2002, 19:33
I think they should bring it over to SNN for a few days of "Touch and Go" ........

Denzil
27th Jul 2002, 19:54
Caslance my most humble apologies the (sarcastic) comment was directed at sugarbird!

As for noting the registration, I find it always helps if you do a job on the correct aircraft much as it is the same if the pilot turns up at the right aircraft to take it on a route. As the aircraft are painted in (nearly) the same colour scheme it is down to using the registration:confused:

Deek, thanks for your input, obviously aircraft registration marking are only painted on for the purpose of "spotters":p

And finally mole thanks for the spelling lesson:rolleyes:

I really only placed the initial item on here as I thought it may be of interest to all as it is the first of this type to be delivered, what a waste of time that was:(

almost professional
27th Jul 2002, 21:16
sorry hobie but its already booked into the UK's No1 airfield for training-in sunny north west leicestershire!

Deeko01
27th Jul 2002, 22:25
Denzil it was very worthwhile posting you just brought the topic down by the comment towards caslance mate!

Actually heard a rumour it is to be doing hit and runs at Prestwick on monday, dunno if anyone can elaborate on this!

cheers

Caslance
27th Jul 2002, 22:40
Denzil's most noble apology (kudos to you, Denzil) closes the matter as far as I am concerned.

I just like to keep on top of first deliveries and first visits. I know it's sad, but there you are!

Denzil has answered my original guestion, I am very grateful to him/her, so can we leave Denzil alone now?

hobie
28th Jul 2002, 08:53
thanks AP ....... guess we lost that one ........ mind you I think we are going for the world record in hourly rainfall this morning so maybe its just as well .....

AlanM
28th Jul 2002, 19:06
So, despite having G-VSHY down one side, And the French reg down the other, who was it still registered too on Monday 22nd July. It departed Farnborough with a French sounding pilot!

Even the nose gear door has HY on it:

see:

G-VSHY (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/254639/L/)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM

sugarbird
29th Jul 2002, 06:26
Crew were all Virgin Atlantic and the Capt was Robin Cox,

avlerx
29th Jul 2002, 11:20
Virgin A340 in the circuit at East Midlands 12.15pm Monday 29th July - is it the '600' ??

almost professional
29th Jul 2002, 14:39
yes it was the 600, may well be back later in the week

bornslippy
30th Jul 2002, 19:44
G-VSHY went crew training at EMA Monday, last minute change due to WX over the border.

First rev flight is the VS9 to JFK evening of Thu Aug 1st, with a few more journo's and VIP's on board.

TwinAisle
31st Jul 2002, 08:39
.... where can we get hold of some of those "Mine is longer than your's" t-shirts? I could usefully use one to drive hell into an airline that I work with that has the "Airbus should have stopped at the A310" mentality....

TA