PDA

View Full Version : New Jeppesen Route Manual

Magma13
15th Aug 2018, 15:00
Hi All

Has anyone been able to compare the E(Lo) charts between the old Route manual and the new one?
Can we use the charts of the old one for the Gnav exam after the 1st of September ?
If not, could someone tell me if I can buy the charts only and not the whole route manual as I only need to sit Gnav exam

paco
16th Aug 2018, 11:57
No, you can't. It is much more difficult to find lat & long on the new ones, and some waypoints are missing

Magma13
16th Aug 2018, 17:53
Thank you Paco.

superflanker
20th Aug 2018, 10:14
Are the CAP's changing too??

paco
20th Aug 2018, 14:30
No, but you can't take them into the exam room anyway and other graphs from other publications are being introduced.

Stanley Eevil
20th Aug 2018, 20:04
No, but you can't take them into the exam room anyway and other graphs from other publications are being introduced.
What other publications?

paco
20th Aug 2018, 20:06
I recognise one or two from Australia, but in theory any graph from any publication may now be used in a question. Fortunately most question writers try to stick to the CAPs but these are unique to the CAA who have graciously allowed them to be used.

Stanley Eevil
21st Aug 2018, 05:42
I recognise one or two from Australia, but in theory any graph from any publication may now be used in a question. Fortunately most question writers try to stick to the CAPs but these are unique to the CAA who have graciously allowed them to be used.
Personally, I think that`s totally unacceptable!
You are dealing largely here with ab-initio students who have probably never seen a flying related graph or table in their lives when they begin ATPL groundschool.
They have enough difficulty mastering the content of the existing CAPs 696/697/698. There is more than sufficient content here to generate the required exam questions.
Seeing another type of graph/table IN EXAMINATION CONDITIONS for the very first time is grossly unfair.
I have clearly made the right decision in recently resigning as a TKI; the system is now beginning to stink.
Does the CAA/EASA have an agenda to cause students to fail or reduce scores?
If so, have the guts to admit it!!

RichardH
21st Aug 2018, 06:02
Stanley

Cash Again & Again (UK CAA) have always reserved the right to use other publications in addition to CAPs but rarely do. I have been a TKI for 20 years including transferring from CAA to JAA then EASA and understand your frustration & agree with your comments. Unfortunately the system has stunk for years and it doesn't get any better, it's a licence to print money asking poor, irrelevant, totally out of date questions that does nothing to improve flight safety.

It will be interesting to see how the new Jeppesen questions are introduced in a couple of weeks as every time they introduce new material there is screw up (but it's not their fault of course).

paco
21st Aug 2018, 06:26
Actually, I tend to agree with it to a certain extent. Transport Canada's stance is that a professional in a charter fight situation should be able to get to grips with graphs quickly, while acknowledging that there might be a certain amount of familiarity from type rating courses, but I agree with the principle, especially when there are no type ratings for light fixed wing aircraft. After all, a graph is a graph to a certain extent - the essential point is knowing what the graph is helping you achieve, rather than treating the graph as an end in itself. I don't see a big problem as long as the graphs concerned are based on general principles and the students are trained properly.

But I agree with Richard about the questions. Just don't get me started.....

Stanley Eevil
21st Aug 2018, 07:34
.....Transport Canada's stance is that a professional in a charter fight situation should be able to get to grips with graphs quickly...

paco; you have hit the nail on the head here I `m afraid.
We`re not dealing with `professionals` are we?
We`re dealing with young inexperienced students who may have `zero hours` of flying experience who already find the existing CAPs a sufficient challenge/hurdle.
Let`s give them a chance instead of creating obstacles designed to help them fail.
With further experience, then yes they could cope with interpreting new graphs/tables. Until then let`s stick to the existing course materials which are more than suitable for creating a fair exam.

paco
21st Aug 2018, 08:18
But they should be at a professional standard at the end of their training course.... So many are not.