PDA

View Full Version : Egypt receives 12 x KA-52 Alligator

chopper2004
14th Aug 2018, 23:12
Egypt receives 12 brand new Russian Helicopters JSC Kamov KA-52 Alligators

Egypt has received at least 12 Ka-52 helicopters defenceWeb (http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52710:egypt-has-received-at-least-12-ka-52-helicopters&catid=124:military-helicopters&Itemid=282)

cheers

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1778/44038791161_042fd9d104_b.jpg

Melchett01
15th Aug 2018, 20:32
Russia spreading its influence further into the central Med region - and at the same time as it’s developing its access to the High North.

Rosevidney1
15th Aug 2018, 21:56
I'm sure it is a perfectly capable machine that the Egyptians felt was cheaper than the western alternatives.

Melchett01
16th Aug 2018, 12:15
I'm sure it is a perfectly capable machine that the Egyptians felt was cheaper than the western alternatives.

It means they are now operating a mixed US / Russian fleet, which makes little sense logistically. They already have 40+ AH-64s and have recently signed a contract for their upgrade. Can’t help feel the Egyptians we playing both sides of the fence, most likely in response to some Russian charm and sweet talking

AnglianAV8R
16th Aug 2018, 12:24
Can’t help feel the Egyptians we playing both sides of the fence, most likely in response to some Russian charm and sweet talking

Why should any country have to choose to be on one side of this fence?

I'm sure the Russian sales people are as charming as those at Messrs BAe, Lockheed Martin and Dassault.

Melchett01
16th Aug 2018, 13:27
Why should any country have to choose to be on one side of this fence?

I'm sure the Russian sales people are as charming as those at Messrs BAe, Lockheed Martin and Dassault.

I guess you don’t in theory, it doesn’t make any sense though to operate such a mixed fleet as they are now potentially doing, I can’t see them being easy to integrate with AH-64s. But the bigger issue for the rest international community is whether it signals deeper Russian influence in a strategic part of the world with everything else going on in the background. Just look how playing both sides of the fence is going with regard for Turkey and the significant geopolitical instability we’re seeing there.

AnglianAV8R
16th Aug 2018, 13:34
I guess you don’t in theory, it doesn’t make any sense though to operate such a mixed fleet as they are now potentially doing, I can’t see them being easy to integrate with AH-64s. But the bigger issue for the rest international community is whether it signals deeper Russian influence in a strategic part of the world with everything else going on in the background. Just look how playing both sides of the fence is going with regard for Turkey and the significant geopolitical instability we’re seeing there.
Apples and pears.
Turkey is a member of NATO with resultant expectations. Egypt is not.
I pondered the situation with Qatar also. They're buying kit from everybody. Hedging their bets in case of further strife twixt them and their cousins next door?

glad rag
16th Aug 2018, 13:41
Awesome machine.

Rga-ybQNADc

Heathrow Harry
16th Aug 2018, 13:55
Apples and pears.
Turkey is a member of NATO with resultant expectations. Egypt is not.
I pondered the situation with Qatar also. They're buying kit from everybody. Hedging their bets in case of further strife twixt them and their cousins next door?

Buying influence more like...........

Boy_From_Brazil
17th Aug 2018, 18:24
No mention of the seat ejection system..... could be interesting in a tight formation if one of your buddies decides to eject!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC7Gr8oOQnE

Baron 58P
20th Aug 2018, 12:10
If I remember correctly, Egypt will get about 50 of these aircraft and they were ordered to equip the two helicopter carriers that France refused to supply to Russia. They were subsequently sold to Egypt. These ships were originally designed for the Russian forces and they had ordered the KA 52's. Everything on board including the lifts are sized for it. Unexpected consequence?

sandiego89
20th Aug 2018, 14:56

While the sales folks are always charming, it seems getting through to the parts and service folks is the hard part. And forget trying to reach the Kamov warranty department- bet that puts you into an endless voicemail cycle, until click....

MightyGem
20th Aug 2018, 20:58
No mention of the seat ejection system..... could be interesting in a tight formation if one of your buddies decides to eject!
Just got to hope that all of the blades depart. :eek: