PDA

View Full Version : Airfields to visit?

agfoxx
14th Aug 2018, 18:38
Hi all

Advice needed.

I've just revalidated my NPPL (M) after a six-year break from flying. I'm not exactly very fresh (I have 150+ hours across microlights, gliders and SEP), but....
a) I hadn't flown for six years prior to May this year;
b) my flying career has been a bit unusual - before May, I had only flown gliders here in the UK, - all my other flying had been overseas.

I have now made an arrangement with somebody which means that I get very reasonable priced access to a Jabiru 450 microlight based in Kent.

So - with all this in mind, I'd be grateful for advice on some airfields to visit. I suppose I need a nice long and wide runway with easy approaches and sensible circuits at this stage, right?

Personally, I'd be keen to go to Duxford (good museum), Shoreham (plenty of friends flying out of there), Old Warden (museum again) and Blackbushe (friends as well). I also have a voucher for a track day at Thruxton (birthday present) - so I think it would be cool to fly into Thruxton rather than drive.

Are any of these inappropriate for my level of experience? Any other fields you can recommend which would be within 1-1.5 hours of North Kent?

Thank you!

Curlytips
14th Aug 2018, 18:52
All sound decent places to visit, but you shoukd be aware that Shoreham is very expensive landing fee. You can get a reduction if you upload enough fuel and arrive before (I think) 10.30 - but not sure if that helps a Jab.

​​​​​​Duxford has various "safety days" when you can get reduced landing fees.

Old Warden is free to land, and superb museum (and decent cafe).

Never worry about capability of going anywhere - if you don't try, you never will, and none of them are Heathrow. Just enjoy......

Curlytips
14th Aug 2018, 18:56
Just realised you said North Kent. If you are flying from Rochester (my home base) or even nearby, you might want to join PAFRA (Pilots and Friends of Rochester Airport), and they do flyouts most weeks of summer. Lots of advice available and help going somewhere new. Let me know if interested.....

agfoxx
14th Aug 2018, 19:51
Just realised you said North Kent. If you are flying from Rochester (my home base) or even nearby, you might want to join PAFRA (Pilots and Friends of Rochester Airport), and they do flyouts most weeks of summer. Lots of advice available and help going somewhere new. Let me know if interested.....

Rochester it is, Curlytips. Sounds interesting - shall we chat offline? I'll be at the airfield on Sunday the 19th if you're around? Thanks!

Curlytips
15th Aug 2018, 06:19
If you could get to Rochester for 0900 Saturday, we are flying out to Wellesbourne for the day, so you could sit in mine and get a feel for what we do. I'll send you a PM (check your Prune account) with contact details.