PDA

View Full Version : APS MCC; Simtech vs Virtual Aviation

MaverickPrime
14th Aug 2018, 13:17
It seems that most of us on the fATPL route will have to consider completing the new APS level MCC/JOC course.

Simtech and VA seem to be well respected companies in this area of training and are the only two companies in the British Isles, to my knowledge, offering a standalone APS MCC.

It won't be long until I have to book one of these courses and I want to gather some opinions on each company.

So what is the general consensus on here about these two companies, if you had to do/have done an APS MCC would you choose Simtech or VA?

aviationfanatic
15th Aug 2018, 09:28
I would definitely go to Virtual Aviation, they are miles ahead in terms of SIMs and instructors.

MaverickPrime
15th Aug 2018, 15:49
Thanks for the input, have you been through a course with VA?

Also, anyone got any feedback for either of the two companies?

2close
18th Aug 2018, 18:38
I know personally the author of VA's MCC APS, and am fully aware of his competence as an instructor, with whom I have worked on several occasions. Not only would I go to VA, I would insist on this instructor.

This is a 100% unbiased opinion (based solely on the £250 in my wallet...joke!). Seriously, he knows his stuff and knows how to deliver it. You also won't get any flannel.

2close

Banana Joe
18th Aug 2018, 18:50
I know nothing about this new APS MCC thing, but I went to Simtech in December for a 'simple' MCC-JOC. Very happy of the instruction I received but their sim was... 'meh', if you know what I mean. I heard they have owned a proper fixed base 737NG simulator but I don't know if they are using it for their MCC-JOC or APS MCC course.
At least till December, the accommodation was included in the price at a nearby good hotel with a shuttle service. Now I don't know, because it caught fire some months ago.

MaverickPrime
19th Aug 2018, 13:09
Thanks for the info folks, I have contacts for Simtech, but I would still go to VA if I was convinced they were the better option. Virtual Aviation seem to have a very very good reputation in the industry.

JamesBanda
8th Nov 2018, 20:16
Hello guys.. As I've almost completed my CPL/MEIR training, I'm thinking about next steps.
So.. APS MCC or MCC/JOC?
If APS MCC, Simtech or Virtual Aviation?
I know both have a good reputation. Which would you recommend?

Banana Joe
9th Nov 2018, 12:53
If you can afford it, go for the APS-MCC. I had a very positive experience with the instructors at Simtech and for the APS-MCC they are using a brand new 737 sim. Virtual Aviation also have a good reputation.

cavosky
9th Nov 2018, 13:34
I did APS MCC @ VA and interview prep @ simtech on the new sim.. I can say that both have top instructors and very good simulators ;-)

Banana Joe
9th Nov 2018, 20:23
you went through both courses? :/

Martin_123, get off this thread and leave people alone. You clearly haven't a clue and you are wasting everyone's time. Her time for you is over.

/Sarcasm :)

JamesBanda
10th Nov 2018, 17:44
do they offer any discount? :rolleyes:

uncle dickie
10th Nov 2018, 22:22
Unless and until you are personally recommended any provider by someone you trust, you need to visit the establishment before parting with your hard earned money.
What might suit one individual doesn’t necessarily suit everyone.
Where ever is chosen, the pre course study material must be absorbed to the best of your ability. Not just a gentle read through it once.....
This is a steep learning curve stretching even the most talented student. You will definitely enjoy it.

Jolax
12th Nov 2018, 21:34
@Negan they're using a simulator based on a generic jet for the aps mcc, aren't they?
4995£ is very reasonable as price.

uncle dickie
13th Nov 2018, 10:26
Like everything in life you only get what you pay for.
When APS approval has been granted by the CAA, a certain standard has been reached by the provider.

If you aspire to a turbo prop as your first airline job, then any MCC provider’s course will surfice.
If however you have your sights set on a Boeing, Airbus or similar size aircraft, then you need to consider a course using a similar simulator representing such an aircraft. The more exposure prior to the type rating course, the easier the overall whole process will be.
As ever, entirely a personal choice.

Barmn
23rd Nov 2018, 12:35
Hi folks, just obtained my professional licenses and also a bit in doubt between following an MCC/JOC or the APS MCC.

I like what Uncle Dickie is saying that if you aspire to a turboprop as your first job any MCC course would suffice. This tells me choosing the APS might be a waste of money since low timers shouldn't be picky with their first job. What do you guys think of that?
Simtech would probably be the best APS option for me because the rest is just too pricey for me at the moment. Has anyone experience, seen or heard recommendations about the Simtech APS course lately?

JamesBanda
24th Nov 2018, 10:41
And what about accommodation for Simtech?
​​​​​​I think they're asking something like 2400 Euros for 17/18 nights.
Is there any cheaper solution?

NorthernCounties
11th Dec 2018, 18:07
Are the instructors new?

I have seen quite a lot of short video on youtube regarding MCC training at Simtech and I'm not impressed by the candidates CRM or the instructor suggestions. Of course that is not enough to judge and it is only my first impression (which is not good).

I think the best way to gauge the quality is to consider the course graduate success rates at getting jobs with Ryanair et al. Going by Linkedin, they seem to be happy enough with them. I have also heard that the NFC will soon be offering an APS programme, competitively priced to drum up business.

Kejim
12th Dec 2018, 16:08
I did the APS-MCC at VA, I have no reservations in recommending them. The quality/experience of the instructors were beyond my expectations. As far as I know the pass rates of their previous APS-MCC candidates at assessments are good, and they should be able to provide some statistics on that.

Mits Oss
13th Mar 2019, 16:14
Anyone has any recent experience with one of the two flight schools?

Did my mcc at VA last October and I already have a job (as do most of the guys who where in my batch). If you prepare well is the only school I would recommend.