PDA

View Full Version : Recommended courier for laptop return?

rusty sparrow
13th Aug 2018, 07:05
I need to return a laptop, value £400, but laptops are prohibited items for many couriers unless I spend around £85.

Any recommendations for a UK return?

rog747
13th Aug 2018, 07:09
ask the company you are returning to? they will likely have a contract with their own couriers and should be able to arrange collection from you and you can pay them?

Heathrow Harry
13th Aug 2018, 08:11
depends why you're returning it - HP replaced a laptop under guarantee and the delivery courier took the old one away

Rob

jimjim1
14th Aug 2018, 08:53
Used to use DPD in a former life.

Their web site says batteries up to 100Wh are OK in equipment.

Lithium Batteries (http://sales.dpd.co.uk/content/lithiumbatteries/)

"For batteries manufactured since January 2009, the watt-hours are marked on the outside of the battery.

If the watt-hours are not marked on the battery, use the formula Ampere-hours x Voltage.

Laptops, mobile phones and other small consumer electronics have batteries with less than 100Wh (exclusions apply, please click here (http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/Lithium-Battery-Guidance-2013-V1.1.pdf))."

I imagine that few if any laptops will have batteries of more than 100Wh.

There is also a Cell limit of 20Wh. No idea how you are supposed to figure that out.

G-CPTN
21st Aug 2018, 14:21
When I needed to return a laptop (under warranty) for repair, the repairer 'sent' DPD to collect.
No preparation (ie no packaging required on my behalf) - the courier dropped the laptop into a box and sealed it.
The laptop was returned (fixed) by DPD in a 'bespoke' cardboard package.

A satisfying experience - I wasn't looking forward to finding a suitable container.

rusty sparrow
21st Aug 2018, 20:55
Royal Mail Special Delivery was the cheapest at £26 with next day delivery and £500 insurance.

Sorry ending though, the five year old macbook pro retina has a sticking key and a 256 GB SSD which has given up the ghost (thankfully I run regular timemachine backups so have the data). With batteries starting to bulge and be replaced, it would cost £400 to fix.