PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia short haul EBA amendment

union
13th Aug 2018, 04:59
Dear Virgin Australia pilots,

The company has now closed our virginethics webpage where we used to discuss company related topics.
Now the company wants us to amend the current short haul EBA. Voting is only in a few weeks.

Any opinions?

porch monkey
13th Aug 2018, 05:48
Given the amendments to the disruption clause, I'm happy enough with it.

Seriously
13th Aug 2018, 05:54
Considering the company and union stressed that we vote considering the document in its entirety I find it rediculous that now they ask us to vote to amend sections on it. What a farce. The disruption clause isn’t enough. Leave the eba as it is.

No Idea Either
13th Aug 2018, 07:40
I’ll vote yes if they hire John Thomas as the next CEO. MM or RS will just be an absolute disaster. Their track records are appalling. Get someone in who has vision and knows what they are doing. Neither of those two impress me at all.
Or maybe we should bring back the business duty travel claim, perhaps they would be more amenable to it now....who knows.

The Bullwinkle
13th Aug 2018, 13:00
It’s a Yes from me because it just makes sense to do so.
Considering who the brainiac was from the company’s negotiating team who dropped the ball on this one, I’m not surprised that there now needs to be an amendment!
And I also wish we were able to stipulate that John Thomas should be hired as the new CEO but obviously that’s not going to happen in relation to this.

Low Pass
13th Aug 2018, 20:42
May I ask what the company is wanting you guys to amend? Do they want to reduce down your DDOs due to pilot shortage/disruption?
also how can they shut down an independent website?

ps hope airnz dont nab JT....

Altimeters
13th Aug 2018, 23:04
I think there needs to be more clarification around the disruption definition. Would the company just say "sectors required for training" and therefore get around it without paying us the credits?

union
16th Aug 2018, 23:43
Don’t give away your vote. The company is stuck with the new rostering.

Let’s finally get business class travel like Qantas.

Lets stop being treated as second class citizens.

Berealgetreal
17th Aug 2018, 00:10
It's a YES from me. It was a NO but I've read the material, asked the questions, listened to the conference calls and webinars and have learned enough to know we gain more by voting YES. Certainly at first glance, it was a "no way" from me. I think getting something in place to deter displacement is very valuable. A good starting point that could be built upon later.

The main morning flights to be affected are a hand full of QLD daylight savings flights and OCM ex Perth. If you feel on the day, that its simply too much or that you are too tired/fatigued then you exercise your right to call "fatigued". As long as you are not some massive abuser of the system, you shouldn't her a peep about it. Meanwhile you've got a bunch of clauses to mitigate against displacement in your back pocket. Pretty good trade. You probably would see the early flights in question once a year yet get displaced every roster. Easy choice.

Low Pass, nothing to do with DDO's its more to do with some early morning flights and in return some gains on displacement. Its a fair bit to get your head around and even if I emailed it 99% would look and decide too much to read/too technical. No idea about the website.

Union, nearly every pilot in the company shares your view on Business class travel but I think its wasted time and opportunity under the current CEO. He's made clear as crystal its not happening whilst he's in the seat. He's also announced the he's moving on so its a battle for later I think.

All the best.

union
17th Aug 2018, 03:58
For me the logic is simple.
Company wants this amendment!

WHY?

Beacuse it benefits them. Rostering would be more inefficient for the company leading to more time off for the pilots.

We have the upper hand in this situation. It does not hurt to vote NO only to see what else we could get in round 2.

We have nothing to loose because the current EBA covers us for a few more years.

VH-ABC
17th Aug 2018, 05:02
Vote no, management can try and rebargain this in the next EBA.

Steely Dan
17th Aug 2018, 06:19
It’s a definite NO vote from me.

The Bullwinkle
17th Aug 2018, 08:19
For me the logic is simple.
Company wants this amendment!

WHY?
Probably because TH was too smart for his own good!
Still, his mistake needs to be rectified and this seems like an appropriate solution.

DUXNUTZ
17th Aug 2018, 20:47
Dear Virgin Australia pilots,

The company has now closed our virginethics webpage where we used to discuss company related topics.
Now the company wants us to amend the current short haul EBA. Voting is only in a few weeks.

Any opinions?

What’s the reason for shutting down virbinetics? Seems heavy handed.

Jeff Ucker
17th Aug 2018, 22:12
To any QF 737 Short Haul Pilots out there... Do you have credit protection in your EBA?

Interceptheading
17th Aug 2018, 23:20
Well the unions are good at working with the company. Shame they are useless at working with the pilots. Only ever looking up the list rather than down it. We only ever hear from management when they don’t get enough survey responses to fund their Xmas vacations.

If the pilots wanted a change you wouldn’t get it.

Come live the life on the lower third of the seniority list then talk to me about Piss weak. And tell SA to take his hand out of your arse, puppet...

The Bullwinkle
18th Aug 2018, 00:58
Well the unions are good at working with the company. Shame they are useless at working with the pilots. Only ever looking up the list rather than down it. We only ever hear from management when they don’t get enough survey responses to fund their Xmas vacations.

If the pilots wanted a change you wouldn’t get it.

Come live the life on the lower third of the seniority list then talk to me about Piss weak. And tell SA to take his hand out of your arse, puppet...

I’m not really sure what you actually want?
Whilst I have absolutely zero respect for the senior management in this organisation, I’m still able to recognise when a change needs to be made as is the case here.
Yes, I get as angry as the next guy, but I think there has to be some maturity shown by the pilot group in this instance.

Berealgetreal
18th Aug 2018, 01:41
hawk_eye, great summary that basically what i learned over the last week and what I base my vote on.

As for the "transfer OCM to VARA or Alliance" I say go right ahead, we've seen nearly a decade of "it's not our flying and it won't affect our growth" and are now completely numb to it. Have a look around Brisbane airport.

Regardless, the gains you mention by far outweigh the changes, thanks for the summary.

union
18th Aug 2018, 03:50
I just watched VIPA's webseminar where its explained that its a bad time to ask for business class duty travel and that during the next EBA they will fight for this..... bla bla bla

its time to get the same duty travel privileges as our colleges in QF

hoss
18th Aug 2018, 04:07
Motivation is a funny thing.

If the yes vote gets up, I bet they’ll have this implemented faster than you can say ‘daylight savings’.

Goat Whisperer
19th Aug 2018, 03:44
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Hawk Eye.

I strongly feel we need to have a virgin et ics like forum.

Do we know for sure why it's been taken down?

fmcinop
20th Aug 2018, 01:20
The company didn't close anything. Virginetics was hosted by an Ex- virgin Pilot who has been trying to offload it for years. It was costing him money to keep it running.

Short of us actually speaking to the owner of the Virginetics site directly, we will never know the exact and final reason for it closing. Making bold statement that is the companies doing void of actual fact isn't helpful in the least.

As for the Vote, as usual, instead of people actually reading the proposal and weighing up the for and against arguments, they suggest a no vote based on the old argument that a no vote shows the company we mean business. What they are actually doing is screwing themselves in the process.

Having read the document its quite clear that the benefits to the pilot group is far out weighed by any negative aspect. What the pilot group gain is far in excess of what they are trading in return.

Biatch
20th Aug 2018, 09:37
Yes from me...

Interceptheading
23rd Aug 2018, 07:36
Thanks Hawk-eye🤭for the lounge access. Still not filling out your survey....

Berealgetreal
25th Aug 2018, 23:40
For those interested 83% of pilots voted and the result was 80.1% Yes and 19.9% No. The changes take effect as of 4 November 2018.