PDA

View Full Version : More Doug Arnold

PamHardup
12th Aug 2018, 20:16
I was very aware of Dougs reputation when I learned to fly in 1966/7 at Fairoaks but as he considered my father his friend I was treated well by him. He definitely marched to a different drum.
He was a spitfire pilot during WW2 how he got into the cockpit we've often wondered as he was so tall about 6'3"-4".
He used to introduce my dad to other people by saying -this man is the only man I would ever borrow money from. Which was a curious thing to say for 2 reasons - 1) he had far more money than dad & 2) most people would say -the only man I would ever LEND money to. Which shows how his mind worked. We (mum dad my 2 sisters & myself ) often used to have Sunday lunch together with Doug & his secretary Mary pleasant times. He phoned my dad & told him to get out of bed & that she should have been down at Fairoaks to witness me go solo for the first time. (Out of character??)
Doug often phoned up dad on Sunday mornings to say get dressed we're going to Le Touquet for lunch. (In an Islander) I understand that when Islander started out they had cash flow problems & Doug did a deal with them to help them at that time.
My dad was not like Doug in many ways so why Doug thought so much of him when they were not alike I think is one of lifes mysteries. They used to go to the vehicle sales together in the 60s his wife (Sybil??) used to phone mum to give the message he's on his way.
Doug could be quite hard on his family at times Barbara Jean Peter David & another daughter -old age I'm afraid I can't remember her name.
The last time I saw David he came to our house after dad had died & I believe it was David who used to travel to India etc to find the caches of Spitfire parts & forgotten planes.
I was told Mann Aviation which had a hanger at Fairoaks asked Doug for an option to buy Fairoaks which Doug sold to them he didn't think they would get the rest of the money together but they did so Doug bought Blackbushe.
Incidentely it was my dad who told Doug how to remove the hill from Fairoaks so it was all flat. If by any chance his family read this I send you my best wishes. Pam