PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair strike

positionalpor
10th Aug 2018, 18:23
https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charpentreau/21649-ryanair-cancels-400-flights-but-denies-strike-in-netherlands?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ryanair_cancels_400_flights_but_denies_strike_i n_netherlands_aerotime&utm_term=2018-08-10

Arfur Dent
11th Aug 2018, 00:19
Apparently, an FR pilot can land at his base in gatwick on Friday and be required to fly his next month out of Lisbon (or somewhere) with no recompense or notice??? Outrageous.
Is that true??

Air Profit
11th Aug 2018, 06:14
Well, if it is true, you can be certain that any pilot facing that circumstance will not be doing so for much longer. Either because FR has changed their policy, or he has resigned and found employment with a more caring employer. That is the fate of many airlines in the industry. Whether they like it or not, the growth of aviation, the retirement rate and the sheer desperation for finding suitable pilots to employ is forcing airlines around the world to make a choice: either they accept that the "old days" are over, and they provide good pay and working conditions, or they continue to act like a raging dinosaur (FR and CX) and wonder why they are crippled by strikes, sickness levels and resignations. Utlimately, airlines will realise that the last people they can afford to upset and alienate are their expensive, highly trained and hard to replace technical staff. For the next TWENTY YEARS at least, that paradigm WILL prevail. The only question is whether airlines with myopic and ultimately incompetent managements like FR and CX will wake up before it's too late. My bet is they won't. They are led by congenitally stupid people.

bringbackthe80s
11th Aug 2018, 10:05
Or maybe they are more intelligent than me and you and they worked out they still make hundreds of millions profits and don’t give a damn. I suspect the latter

mngmt mole
11th Aug 2018, 10:47
Yea, thats it. They are more intelligent ( they’ve sure proved that recently). You can operate an airline with no pilots. Good luck with that.

172_driver
11th Aug 2018, 13:14
Apparently, an FR pilot can land at his base in gatwick on Friday and be required to fly his next month out of Lisbon (or somewhere) with no recompense or notice??? Outrageous.
Is that true??

It's true. Some years ago you had to position on your off day, now i think you're rostered dead head (at least getting there, not sure about getting home).

/Ex. RYR

arse
11th Aug 2018, 14:15
Well, if it is true, you can be certain that any pilot facing that circumstance will not be doing so for much longer. Either because FR has changed their policy, or he has resigned and found employment with a more caring employer. That is the fate of many airlines in the industry. Whether they like it or not, the growth of aviation, the retirement rate and the sheer desperation for finding suitable pilots to employ is forcing airlines around the world to make a choice: either they accept that the "old days" are over, and they provide good pay and working conditions, or they continue to act like a raging dinosaur (FR and CX) and wonder why they are crippled by strikes, sickness levels and resignations. Utlimately, airlines will realise that the last people they can afford to upset and alienate are their expensive, highly trained and hard to replace technical staff. For the next TWENTY YEARS at least, that paradigm WILL prevail. The only question is whether airlines with myopic and ultimately incompetent managements like FR and CX will wake up before it's too late. My bet is they won't. They are led by congenitally stupid people.

Hear! Hear!

Apologises if that is too colloquial. Google as required!