PDA

View Full Version : FAR 61.75 out the window?

advancing_blade
27th Jul 2002, 09:13
I just picked up on a thread at JH that sated, that FAR 61.75, which allows a ICAO licence holder be granted an FAA private licence has been suspended. Anyone have any more info' or can confirm this. The FSDO site is still listing this FAR. I hope it's not true

Rotorbike
27th Jul 2002, 10:02
It was discussed here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60272) on wannabees. Presume same regulation helicopter and airplane.

flygunz
27th Jul 2002, 10:10
Read this
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/index.cfm

rotormatic
27th Jul 2002, 13:42
July 16, 2002

In an effort to enhance aviation safety, the FAA must temporarily suspend, effective immediately, the issuance of private pilot certificates issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license under 14 Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) section 61.75.

James J. Ballough

Director, Flight Standards Service

Devil 49
27th Jul 2002, 13:53
I'm ignorant beyond the latest AOPA Pilot Brief, which states that "in the interest of national security" (or some such lame excuse), that U.S. tickets would no longer be granted based on another country's certificate.

I feel so much more secure this morning...

Nick Lappos
28th Jul 2002, 02:57
The logic is based on the belief that US targets are exposed to private aircraft flown by terrorists. This is not a trivial issue.

Barannfin
28th Jul 2002, 06:53
As much as I can see that this would be a major roadblock for many people wishing to build hours here, I am surprised that it took them this long. Its not an answer to all the security problems but it will provide another block to attackers, unfortunately it will also be another hinderance for people of honorable intentions.

Would someone wishing to get a licence here be able to use the hours that they flew previously for the requirements? Or do they have to start from scratch? I am unfamiliar with the old and new regulations, as I dont have my FAR/AIM handy.

RW-1
29th Jul 2002, 14:32
B,

You could use your hours previously. The issue relates to the issuance of the US licence based upon your having the foreign one.

advancing_blade
30th Jul 2002, 08:53
Nick,

I don't think it's trivial either, it's as serious as a heart attack. However, I think it would be better to just verify that people are who they say they are, and actually have genuine valid ICAO licences (rather than just issuing a ppl at an FSDO when you walk in). The "GA air threat" is as real here as in the US or many other places for a variety of political reasons, but FAA licence holders can fly here without even obtaining anything ( I fly here on my Canadian ticket). The "bad guys," no doubt have people already in country (which ever) with citizenship any way, some even born there waiting for the call maybe.

The great thing about US GA is the laid back attitude and a willingness to let people fly (rather than the "it's for mil & air carriers and every one else should drive" thing that seems to exist here):(

SASless
30th Jul 2002, 10:29
I would imagine this will be a temporary situation....until the knee jerk reaction to the tragic events of 9-11 is overtaken by a more rational and better thought out procedure. This will go the way of the grounding of all GA aircraft....and the later restrictions on flights that failed the reality test and have now been removed. Bide your time and this too shall pass. Per usual....the government throws the baby out with the bath water in an effort to make a "rapid" decision.

SASless
30th Jul 2002, 18:07
Important General Aviation Security Information from the Transportation Security Administration

( Archives )
Copied from the HAI website

Issuance of U.S. Pilot Certificates Based on a Foreign Pilot License
Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:25 AM

On July 26, 2002, The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued the guidance to Flight Standards District Offices FSDOs reauthorizing the program for issuing U.S. pilot certificates with private pilot privileges based on foreign pilot licenses. The new application process is outlined in sections (R) and (S) of FAA Notice N 9700.15, at pages 9 and 10. Paragraph (R)(1) provides, "A person who is applying for a U.S. pilot certificate/rating on the basis of a foreign license must be informed that he or she should try to pre-apply for that pilot certificate at least 60 days before arriving at the designated FAA FSDO where the applicant expects to receive the U.S. pilot certificate. This initial application step is the responsibility of the applicant and not the FSDO." Click this link to obtain a copy of the new FAA guidance.

Steve76
30th Jul 2002, 18:15
Didn't all the terrorist pilots do all their training and licences in the States?

SASless
31st Jul 2002, 03:14
Steve76,

A for what it's worth.....

In 1985-86, while working for a Federal investigative agency as a Special Agent, I submitted an informal concept proposal to my headquarters for a surviellence operation targeting foreign nationals taking aviation training. The intent of that operation was designed to locate, identify, and target for recruiting those individuals that might have been of use to the US Government in their home countries.

A collateral issue was also the fact that we would have an ability to identify just such questionable acts as led to the 9-11 attack although that was not a consideration at that time and was not ever mentioned.

My Concept Proposal was rejected for being in conflict with the Church Amendment that so severely limited CIA/DOD/FBI operations within the USA.

Ironic isn't it?