PDA

View Full Version : QF meals

nickmelb
27th Jul 2002, 08:42
hi guys and girls

flew last nite on the cityflier from syd to mel...was shocked when the CSM said that they would be serving dinner....we got our boxes and there was a decent salad and some other things..was great...is this new? i travel with QF for work all the time...and this was the first meal i have had in ages...miss the breadsticks and hommus dip though! hahahahaha

so are meals on the way back in?

cheers nick

ditzyboy
27th Jul 2002, 09:01
As far as I know that is standard for Trunk Short sectors (SYD-MEL) and Non Tunk Long (SYD-TSV). Short is under 2 hours (or 2 and a half maybe).

We get those salads as part of our dinner allocation at Impulse. Some of them are hideous! Others are very nice. There's these two noodles ones that are devine!

DoorL1
28th Jul 2002, 12:07
Type of flights are now short, medium and long. Short and medium meal flts receive the salad box, long still gets a hot meal. Mel/Syd is a short, Mel/Bne medium and Mel/Per long. Unfortunately the meal times have been reduced, so you will see more refreshment flts. Also free wine & beer on Mel/Syd/Bne after 1600hrs Mon-Fri. ;)

A300Man
28th Jul 2002, 12:27
Hi Nick,

As you know I did LHR - AUH yesterday on BA. First time I've done BA longhaul for ages. And there too, the food was much, much improved from before. Good choices, but no menu cards were handed out, so it was difficult to pre-order drinks to accompany your meal if you didn't know what was on offer to eat.

The crew got all huffy when passengers kept asking them what was being served later for dinner before selecting the appropriate wine. (For some reason they do another drinks round just prior to the food trolley, "drinks to accompany your meal sir....").

And by the way, the aeroplane was a 777 but one of the very first ones in the fleet. Needs a little bit of cleaning up.

and............yesterday's flight on BA confirmed something that I had noticed on several of the big carriers......the meal portions being served are now tiny!! Cost cutting at its best here. The nicely oval and circular porcelain dishes are much shallower than they used to be.

Still better than KLM's long haul casserole though, which comes in a dish the size of 20 Marlboro Lights.

Hope u r well mate.

canberra
4th Aug 2002, 14:19
you guys should fly military. if your on a c130 you just get a packed lunch in a white cardboard box thrown at you! on vc 10s and tristar you get proper meals. in fact when flying out to butterworth from seeb i had one of the best omelettes ive ever eaten along with a beef sausage. i will not say what the sausage looked like, in fact even now i wonder if it might have been camel!!

AnsettStar
5th Aug 2002, 04:01
Flew to Adelaide in April and we got a small (salad and ham???) sanwich with a little bottle of water and a mini Cadbury chocolate. After my friends have flown with Qantas and got hot lunches I was kinda expecting one haha

For someone who has only ever flown Ansett it was a huge difference. I have to say the service on the way over was better than on theway back. I guess coz they had all of us Perthies coming home. The stewardess said they go thru booze like you wouldn't believe on return flights to Perth!!!!! Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I guess the type of lunch we got means PER-ADL isn't considered long enough for hot lunch? We had a B737 - does the galley have heating facilities? Or only on some 73's?? My friend had hot lunch on a 73. Oh well.

leemo
5th Aug 2002, 05:55
AnsettStar,

We only do a hot meal on long sectors i.e. Per-Syd or Per-Mel. The Adl-Per leg is considered a medium sector by our product development dept. so you just get the cold meal, in economy anyway.

All our 73's have heating facilites but I guess its just cheaper for QF to provide the cold meal.

Most customers don't mind the cold meal and Americans always tell me how unreal it is that we give out any food! They are used to picking up a brown paper bag during boarding containing pretzels and a juice.

We did used to do hot meals on medium sectors and even on Mel-Syd sectors. But those days are gone (thank goodness) and its all about saving money to pay for the new fleet.

Leemo-QF short haul

dragonwagon
6th Aug 2002, 07:15
Hi A300, we used to do menus and pre take off water in Economy but now we don't due to cutbacks. We do one or two bar rounds before the meal depending on flight time, I flew QF once and was horrified to see the crew having to open full size wine bottles for Economy!! How time consuming must that be! I know the Economy meal looks small but I'm always full after eating it (still that might be down to all the MSG...!)

AnsettStar
7th Aug 2002, 06:40
Always wanted to know why that was the case. But if it means I get to fly new nice planes like 777's and new Airbus then gimme a pretzel and a juice! hahaha :)

Is it true the flight crew get separate type meals to prevent food poisoning to both/all?

leemo
8th Aug 2002, 11:12
Yes, the flight crew do get different meals. They usually have cereal and fruit for brekky and a hot meal if there are some left over from J/C.

Main meals they usually have some kind of fish in a sauce. I just tell them what we have and let them fight it out amongst themselves to 'who has what'!

Leemo