PDA

View Full Version : RN Pilot Selection AIB Feb 1992

Wingless Walrus
8th Aug 2018, 18:57
I passed the RN AIB pilot selection in the first week of February 1992, together with one other person. If you are that person, or know them, please let me know if you started training and got your wings; I am just curious to know.

Wensleydale
8th Aug 2018, 20:30
Still waiting for a your course date?

Wingless Walrus
10th Aug 2018, 17:01
Still waiting for a your course date?

Lol! Wensleydale, from your sense of humour I would guess you have spent some time in the services?

I passed both the RAF and (a few years later) the RN pilot selection and never started training for either.
I was close to the RAF upper age limit (23.5yrs late 1980's) and was told I had 'good pilot aptitude' but was being marked down to reflect my age (stats showed 'older students had a lower probability of completing training'. I was thus put forward as having an 'average chance' of successfully completing training and didn't get in; too old to reapply after the mandatory one year waiting period.

The RN had a higher age limit (26) at that time, I finished my degree and applied to the RN when I was 25. Passed the selection with one other person. I was told the RN would 'have no problem training you to be a pilot' and I was told on my letter that I 'have a good chance of selection, congratulations'. I had suffered from conjunctivitis in both eyes about a month or so before hand and living in a cold dingy damp flat meant lack of sleep over the winter of my application. I failed the eyesight as I expected, but was told the condition was classed as permanent, which I didnt expect. My eyesight returned to normal shortly afterward (20/10 as I later discovered). That was that. Been a pedestrian ever since, walking the earth and never sailing above it (not under my own steam anyway). Often wondered how the other person who passed got on.

There is a bit more to that eyesight story that may help at least one person who is in a similar position to me then. As a site newbie I need to get posts under my belt to bump up my PM allowance of a single PM. At some point I will scribble a post of that story.